• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass shoes in budapest

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited Vass shoes in Budapest on Wednesday. Ordered a pair of brown box calf full brogue reverse welted Bluchers (Vass's "Budapest" model) and a pair of plain toe Bluchers in black shell cordovan (Vass's "London Derby" model.)

The 2 ladies there initially tried to talk me into buying ready to wear shoes, which I thought was kind of funny. I think that they were just trying to be nice and save me some money, but I had come quite a long way to get some bespoke shoes, so I wasn't going to be content with off the rack in this case.

The fitting process was not quite as complex as I had thought it would be. Vass's book, Handmade Shoes for Men, describes a fairly complicated and time consuming process which involves measuring the foot, arch, instep, ankle height, etc. The book describes shoe fitting as a very time consuming process, perhaps taking even more time than getting measured for a bespoke suit. My shoe fitting at his shop consisted of tracing my foot and taking 3 measurements around various parts of my foot with a tape measure.
If the shoe fits, then I guess that's all that counts. I don't suppose his shop would have the reputation it does if he didn't make shoes that fit.

Overall, it was a fun experience, and the ladies who work there were extremely nice and helpful. The shoes are supposed to be done in late October. I will update folks then. I am already counting the days. The shoes in his shop displays are exquisite, and I can't wait for a pair that is made just for me. Custom shoe trees are included, which is a nice extra too.

Kai

DC_Brit

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I may be able to make a trip in the deep midwinter.
Perhaps it is the case that the experienced shoe fitter's eye looks at a foot and sees an easy fit, whereas an obviously higher than normal arch might cue another measurement?
Looking forward to your October update.
Oh, and how did the current pricing work out for you?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cost for both pair of shoes was US$ 1,028 which included shipping to the U.S.

I could have knocked some off of that if I had paid the entire amount in cash. I did get some discount because I paid about 1/2 in cash.

Kai

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cost for both pair of shoes was US$ 1,028 which included shipping to the U.S.
Is that $1028 per pair or $1028 for two pairs (ie, $514 per pair)?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$514 per pair.

Great deal, no?

Kai

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads