Vass shoes in budapest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

I visited Vass shoes in Budapest on Wednesday. Ordered a pair of brown box calf full brogue reverse welted Bluchers (Vass's "Budapest" model) and a pair of plain toe Bluchers in black shell cordovan (Vass's "London Derby" model.)

The 2 ladies there initially tried to talk me into buying ready to wear shoes, which I thought was kind of funny. I think that they were just trying to be nice and save me some money, but I had come quite a long way to get some bespoke shoes, so I wasn't going to be content with off the rack in this case.

The fitting process was not quite as complex as I had thought it would be. Vass's book, Handmade Shoes for Men, describes a fairly complicated and time consuming process which involves measuring the foot, arch, instep, ankle height, etc. The book describes shoe fitting as a very time consuming process, perhaps taking even more time than getting measured for a bespoke suit. My shoe fitting at his shop consisted of tracing my foot and taking 3 measurements around various parts of my foot with a tape measure.
    If the shoe fits, then I guess that's all that counts. I don't suppose his shop would have the reputation it does if he didn't make shoes that fit.

Overall, it was a fun experience, and the ladies who work there were extremely nice and helpful. The shoes are supposed to be done in late October. I will update folks then. I am already counting the days. The shoes in his shop displays are exquisite, and I can't wait for a pair that is made just for me. Custom shoe trees are included, which is a nice extra too.

Kai

2. DC_Brit

DC_Brit Member

Thanks for the insight. I may be able to make a trip in the deep midwinter.
    Perhaps it is the case that the experienced shoe fitter's eye looks at a foot and sees an easy fit, whereas an obviously higher than normal arch might cue another measurement?
    Looking forward to your October update.
    Oh, and how did the current pricing work out for you?

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

Cost for both pair of shoes was US$ 1,028 which included shipping to the U.S.

I could have knocked some off of that if I had paid the entire amount in cash. I did get some discount because I paid about 1/2 in cash.

Kai

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is that $1028 per pair or $1028 for two pairs (ie, $514 per pair)?

5. Kai

Kai Senior member

$514 per pair.

Great deal, no?

Kai