• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass shoe questions...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First, I had thought that a distinctive feature of Budapest shoes was that the edge of the counters intersected with the edge of the quarters like this:
Budapest%20Aged%20Cognac.JPG
It looks from the pictures on the Vass/US website, however, that this is not the case for Budapest shoes not made on the Budapest last:
Budapest%20Laszlo%20Last.JPG
What's the deal? Second, what can you tell me about the P2 and P3 lasts?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine look like the ones on the top, with the intersecting pieces. Purchased them last Fall.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Off the top of my head: The word "Budapest" or "Budapester" as used to describe shoes has sort of a double (but related) meaning. It refers not only to the classic Budapest model, but also to wingtips in general. So Vass calls their other wingtips Budapests, even the models made on the U last.. As far as the P1 and P2 lasts, I'm not sure. Where did you hear the designation?? My boss said something about one of the news lasts being called 'the new Peter' so perhaps it stands for Peter 1 and Peter 2. I'll have pics of shoes on the new lasts before too long. You will also be able to see them on www.vass-shoes.com, but the website isn't working properly right now, and we haven't yet been able to figure out why...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as the P1 and P2 lasts, I'm not sure. Where did you hear the designation?? My boss said something about one of the news lasts being called 'the new Peter' so perhaps it stands for Peter 1 and Peter 2.
I think that I happened on the new website between the time it came up and the time you guys took it down to correct the problems (or rather, took the index page offline). I got the last names off of the filenames for some of the pictures. Thanks to the miracle of history caching, here's one whose filename suggests that it's on the P2 last:
Old%20English%20P2%20Last.JPG
Here's one whose filename suggests that it's on the P3 last:
Budapest%20P3%20Last.JPG

friendlyone

Reaction score
Over the week-end, I saw some very pretty Vass shoes, modern in the Italian style, long with a narrow waist, but at the same time with a modest amount of broguing. I asked the salesman for the name of the model, but he said that it was so new that Vass had not yet named it. So, I asked about the last that was used to make it, and he said that it looked like an R-last, but that he wasn't very sure, since he hadn't been told that, either.

Any ideas?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Perhaps at Louis Boston?

friendlyone

Reaction score
Well done, Sartoriale. That was exactly what I saw (in Washington DC, Steve B). But what was it?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where in D.C. (which store??)

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well done, Sartoriale. That was exactly what I saw (in Washington DC, Steve B). But what was it?
Was it Star Shoe (1800 Wisconson Ave. NW)?

friendlyone

Reaction score
The shoe shop at 1800 Wisconsin Avenue is now called Sky Valet, and now specializes in "hand made shoes", including Vass, JM Weston, and Alfred Sargent. Unfortunately, their selection remains highly limited. For the Vass shoe which I liked (the Budapest Oxblood, according to Vass' website), they only had one size, and even then only one shoe. If you want a pair, then they will order one in your size from the factory.

This means that you will have to wait 14 weeks, for a shoe that may not even fit. But at least they take the price risk: you don't have to put any money down, and if the shoe doesn't fit, you are under no obligation to take it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This one had me confused but we contacted Vass and figured it out:

The store in DC used to carry Vass shoes several years ago, before we became agents. It is my understanding that they haven't actually stocked anything for some time now. The shoes you saw are on the U last and they are samples.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The store in DC used to carry Vass shoes several years ago, before we became agents. It is my understanding that they haven't actually stocked anything for some time now. The shoes you saw are on the U last and they are samples.
This isn't surprising to me. I contacted Vass back in 2002 to ask about US retailers. The only name that gave me was for this shoe store. I called and asked if they had a Budapest on the Budapest last in my size. They didn't. I asked if they had a Budapest on any last in my size. They didn't. I asked if they had any Vass shoe on any last in my size. They didn't. Given that my size is probably the most common size in the Western world, I concluded that they either weren't serious about selling Vass shoes or that their buyer was hopelessly incompetent.

Of course, A Harris and Gabor have come along, so I have other outlets for this particular shoe fix.

friendlyone

Reaction score
Mr. Harris,

I'm glad that you are clear about things. But I am confused. The store does have a relatively extensive collection of Vass shoe models, but as you point out does not actually have much, if anything, for sale. When they get an order, they fax the factory, and have the shoes made to order.

Is what they are doing wrong, in some way? Is there a better place to buy Vass in Washington or on the East Coast?

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Is what they are doing wrong, in some way? Is there a better place to buy Vass in Washington or on the East Coast?
friendlyone, The Vass website lists a couple of East Coast retailers that are in the process of being set up, but nothing in D.C. though. It also gives contact information for Gabor Halmos, A. Harris's counterpart on the East Coast. I had a chance to meet with him yesterday and I must say that as nice as the pictures shown on the web site are, they simply do not do these shoes justice. They are simply stunning in person. And they make my Aldens look cheap and wimpy in comaprison.
smile.gif
I was able to confirm that the RTW U-last models are out of the question for my wide feet, but I'm considering trying out the Budapest last. I was also given a link to the Vass Hungarian site which I don't recall having seen before: http://www.vass-shoes.hu

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads