• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass on US ebay

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW I think this is maybe a first?? Dunno whether to
smile.gif
or
sad.gif
Anyways, somebody buy them.

marc37

Reaction score
Abit expensive for a starting bid. Anyway, they are not my size. Are some Vass shoes made with a topy??? Or would have it been added [by the seller]?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They were made that way at the request of Louis Boston.

marc37

Reaction score
What does that mean? Louis Boston???

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a pair of Vass on EBay about 2 weeks ago I think, but in a small size (7 perhaps) and it may have been a seller in Europe. I can't quite recall.

Considering that these are cordovan, I think $599 is a fair opening price. (That's, what, about $120 more than you'd pay for Alden cordovans? -- a bargain all things considered) I think the seller probably should have sprinkled in the words Lobb, Edward Green, etc. into the auction description though in order for this auction to get picked up when someone does a search for those brands. Vass are so rare on Ebay, I don't even bother with searches. This seller though, marcey2, is one of my favorite sellers. Lots of Oxxford, RLPL, etc. I bought a pair of brand new RLPL (EG) shoes from this seller too. His name is Anthony Marcinowski, if I recall correctly. A very reliable seller IMO.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the advantage of this pair over the ones Alden makes for $445?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these exact shoes in a 42 and can't sing their praises enough. When I bought them last year at Louis, I was (at the time) less than thrilled by the topy. In fact they've been perfect for the mild yet damp Fall and Winter on the west coast. They're a substantial shoe but much more attractive in person than in photographs. Hands down, the most comfortable leather shoes in my collection.

The clear advantage over Aldens is that you're getting a completely handmade shoe. Sadly, the auction doesn't include trees and, more sadly still, is not in my size otherwise I would have picked up a second pair at that price...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these exact shoes in a 42 and can't sing their praises enough. When I bought them last year at Louis, I was (at the time) less than thrilled by the topy. In fact they've been perfect for the mild yet damp Fall and Winter on the west coast. They're a substantial shoe but much more attractive in person than in photographs. Hands down, the most comfortable leather shoes in my collection.

The clear advantage over Aldens is that you're getting a completely handmade shoe. Sadly, the auction doesn't include trees and, more sadly still, is not in my size otherwise I would have picked up a second pair at that price...
tattersall, others,

That was my next question: what is the advantage of the shoe being handmade? Does it last longer or wear better?

Thanks.

darkoak

Reaction score
Is it possible to order Vass w/ dainite or commando soles? That would look better than Topy, no?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I know some Vass shoes come from the factory with Vibram-type soles, so I assume it is possible to order non-leather soles. A pair of "London" model black cordovan boots I saw recently had Vibram-type soles.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for marcey2, I've bought lots of shoes from him and have been very satisified.

Advantage over Alden - the level of quality of the Vass shoe is the best on the market, comparing it to Alden would be like comparing Oxxford to Southwick. Completely different category... I think you will find they fit better, and last much longer too.

You can order Vass with vibram soles, we're hoping to get them to do a 'commando' (rubber over leather) sole one of these days.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I just today received my first pair of Vass in the mail -- the chukka boots with a double leather sole. I must say, to compare them to Alden is almost an insult. I have several (4 or 5) pairs of Alden too. But these Vass have an interior and exterior finish that is a work of art -- I think it compares most closely to Lattanzi or perhaps EG or Lobb St. James. I could not bring myself to walk outside on pavement in them today, as they are so pristine. Perhaps tomorrow....

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(tattersall @ Mar. 01 2005,12:07) I have these exact shoes in a 42 and can't sing their praises enough. When I bought them last year at Louis, I was (at the time) less than thrilled by the topy. In fact they've been perfect for the mild yet damp Fall and Winter on the west coast. They're a substantial shoe but much more attractive in person than in photographs. Hands down, the most comfortable leather shoes in my collection. The clear advantage over Aldens is that you're getting a completely handmade shoe. Sadly, the auction doesn't include trees and, more sadly still, is not in my size otherwise I would have picked up a second pair at that price...
tattersall, others, That was my next question: what is the advantage of the shoe being handmade? Â Does it last longer or wear better? Thanks.
I think the shoes look great. And judging purely on aesthetics, it would appear to be a very apt analogy, Vass to Alden as Oxford to Southwick. However that being said, I never quite come to any sort of conclusion on whether there are indisputable advantages to having a shoe handmade, in most cases. On another thread, which I can no longer find, A Harris answered some quesitons I had concerning this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads