• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass last types

nova

Reaction score
Which last type from VASS comes closest to the one on the picture below? Thank you very much for your help.
DSC000004.jpg

JohnMS

Reaction score
I have no information, but wanted to comment: Can anyone get Jun Kuwana to chime in on this forum. He has so much knowledge he could contribute.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It took some time, but I finally found those shoes on Jun Kuwana's website. They're Brooks Brothers Peals from when Peals were made by Edward Green. If you look at the picture of the interior markings and do a Babelfish translation of the commentary underneath it, you'll see that Mr. Kuwana isn't sure whether they mean that the shoes were made on the 192 last or the 520 last. I have no idea, either. In any event, they're made on a round-toe, British-looking last, and I think that the closest Vass analogue would be the P2 last.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
do a Babelfish translation of the commentary underneath
I am full of admiration that you are able to chase Japanese text through "babelfish" and get at least some sense of the text.

My computer isn't set up to process Japanese type; it comes up as some unbelievable Gobbledegook of unusual (but not Japanese) typefaces:
@¡"šÃ…"šÃÅ’Â
00a9.png
"šÃ§"šÃª"šÃˆ"šÂ¢Æ’uÆ’"¹Æ’bÆ’NÆ’X"šÃŒÂ¤"¢iÅ’Q¡¡"°Ã±"šÃŒ"ÃW"šÃ…Æ’Æ’CÆ’""šÃŒÆ’s°ƒ"¹Æ’l°ƒ€"šÃŒÅ ""šÃ†Å’C¤"šÂ»"šÃª"šÃ‰Æ’Æ’CÆ’J°ƒY"šÃ†"˜"šÂ
00a9.png
"šÃª"šÂ½Æ’IÆ’EÆ’"Æ’Æ’CÆ’N"šÃŒÆ’VÆ’Æ’Æ’c¡"Ã"šÃ‰Ë†Ãª"Ôã"šÃ‰"š "šÃ
00a9.png
Æ’VÆ’Æ’Æ’c"šÃ"ú-{"šÃ…"šÃ"WÅ J"šÂ³"šÃª"šÂ½"šÂ±"šÃ†"šÃŒ"šÃˆ"šÂ¢Æ’XƒŠƒ€ƒtÆ’BÆ’bÆ’g¡¡"šÃ…"šÃ"šÂ»"šÃŒ"šÃ‡"šÃª"šÃ "šÂªÅ’Â
00a9.png
"šÃ
00a9.png
"šÂ±"šÃ†"šÃŒo"”ˆ"šÃˆ"šÂ¢"šÃ "šÃŒ"šÃ†"šÃˆ"šÃ"šÃ„"šÂµ"šÃœ"šÃ"šÂ½BÆ’s°ƒ"¹"šÃŽp"šÃ°Ã"šÂµÂ¤Æ’VÆ’Æ’Æ’c"šÃ -w"šÃ‡"šÂª'" "˜Â»"šÃ‰"šÃˆ"šÃ"šÃ„"šÂµ"šÃœ"šÃ"šÂ½BÃ…"˜Æ’uÆ’"¹Æ’bÆ’NÆ’X"šÃ"”B"šÃŒÆ’JÆ’WÆ’...Æ’AÆ’"¹Æ’EÆ’FÆ’A°"šÃŒÆ’XÆ’gÆ’A°"šÃ‰"šÂµ"šÂ
00a9.png
"°ÃŸ"š"šÂ¸Â¤"°"N"šÃŒ-Ê"°e"šÃ"˜S"š"šÃˆ"šÂ¢Â¡
Without any doubt, incomprehensible to Japanese readers. Well, to me it's all the same, so I have never bothered to have the proper set up to process Japanese type.

My question to all the clever computer buffs out there: How (and where) do I set up my PC to process Japanese typeface and enable me to use "babelfish" (or similar programs) to get, at least a sense of what the text is about?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My question to all the clever computer buffs out there: How (and where) do I set up my PC to process Japanese typeface and enable me to use "babelfish" (or similar programs) to get, at least a sense of what the text is about?
When you go to Jun Kuwana's website, does the text look like Japanese, or is it that same gobbledeegook? It may be that you don't have Japanese fonts installed on your computer. You can download them from Microsoft, but I can't remember the details about it.

Have you tried giving Babelfish the URL and just asking it to translate the whole page? That might work for you...

TKDKid

Reaction score
When you go to Jun Kuwana's website, does the text look like Japanese, or is it that same gobbledeegook? It may be that you don't have Japanese fonts installed on your computer. You can download them from Microsoft, but I can't remember the details about it. Have you tried giving Babelfish the URL and just asking it to translate the whole page? That might work for you...
Whenever I access a website in a different language, a message box just pops up asking if I want to download the relevant language support files from Microsoft.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tried giving Babelfish the URL and just asking it to translate the whole page? That might work for you...

That's what I do...

1ik96

Reaction score
bengal-stripe

To resolve your character set issue:

First, verify Encoding under the View menu is set to "Auto Select". Next, check and verify the "Enable Install on Demand (Internet Explorer)" and Enable Install on Demand (Other)" check boxes are checked under the Advanced tab of your Internet Options properties located under the Tools menu. While your in the Internet Options properties, you may also want to check the Security category under the Advanced tab to ensure you have the desired security settings.

Now okay the settings, then shut down and reopen the browser. Next find a page with Japanese text and it should prompt you to install Japanese language support.

nova

Reaction score
Thank you for your posts - Â But ... which last type from VASS comes closest to the one on the picture below? Thanks..
biggrin.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for your posts - But ... which last type from VASS comes closest to the one on the picture below?
Nova. My opinion may be buried in all of the Jun Kuwana/technical stuff, but it's still there:

In any event, they're made on a round-toe, British-looking last, and I think that the closest Vass analogue would be the P2 last.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eureka It works a treat. What a clever clog you are. Thanks.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What a clever clog you are.
Perhaps, but you'll win the prize if you can make much sense out of the translation.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In any event, they're made on a round-toe, British-looking last, and I think that the closest Vass analogue would be the P2 last.
Exactly. I think we should hire Jcusey as a Vass rep
smile.gif

nova

Reaction score
Gentlemen: My next Vass shoes will be on a P2 last.

Thank you very much for your help.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps, but you'll win the prize if you can make much sense out of the translation.
That's a totally different kettle of (babel)fish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics