Vass last types

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nova, May 21, 2004.

1. nova

nova Active Member

Which last type from VASS comes closest to the one on the picture below? Thank you very much for your help. [​IMG]

2. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

I have no information, but wanted to comment: Can anyone get Jun Kuwana to chime in on this forum. He has so much knowledge he could contribute.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It took some time, but I finally found those shoes on Jun Kuwana's website. They're Brooks Brothers Peals from when Peals were made by Edward Green. If you look at the picture of the interior markings and do a Babelfish translation of the commentary underneath it, you'll see that Mr. Kuwana isn't sure whether they mean that the shoes were made on the 192 last or the 520 last. I have no idea, either. In any event, they're made on a round-toe, British-looking last, and I think that the closest Vass analogue would be the P2 last.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am full of admiration that you are able to chase Japanese text through "babelfish" and get at least some sense of the text.

My computer isn't set up to process Japanese type; it comes up as some unbelievable Gobbledegook of unusual (but not Japanese) typefaces:
    Without any doubt, incomprehensible to Japanese readers. Well, to me it's all the same, so I have never bothered to have the proper set up to process Japanese type.

My question to all the clever computer buffs out there: How (and where) do I set up my PC to process Japanese typeface and enable me to use "babelfish" (or similar programs) to get, at least a sense of what the text is about?

5. jcusey

When you go to Jun Kuwana's website, does the text look like Japanese, or is it that same gobbledeegook? It may be that you don't have Japanese fonts installed on your computer. You can download them from Microsoft, but I can't remember the details about it.

Have you tried giving Babelfish the URL and just asking it to translate the whole page? That might work for you...

6. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

My question to all the clever computer buffs out there: How (and where) do I set up my PC to process Japanese typeface and enable me to use "babelfish" (or similar programs) to get, at least a sense of what the text is about?
    When you go to Jun Kuwana's website, does the text look like Japanese, or is it that same gobbledeegook? It may be that you don't have Japanese fonts installed on your computer. You can download them from Microsoft, but I can't remember the details about it. Have you tried giving Babelfish the URL and just asking it to translate the whole page? That might work for you...
    Whenever I access a website in a different language, a message box just pops up asking if I want to download the relevant language support files from Microsoft.

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's what I do...

8. 1ik96

1ik96 Member

bengal-stripe

To resolve your character set issue:

First, verify Encoding under the View menu is set to "Auto Select". Next, check and verify the "Enable Install on Demand (Internet Explorer)" and Enable Install on Demand (Other)" check boxes are checked under the Advanced tab of your Internet Options properties located under the Tools menu. While your in the Internet Options properties, you may also want to check the Security category under the Advanced tab to ensure you have the desired security settings.

Now okay the settings, then shut down and reopen the browser. Next find a page with Japanese text and it should prompt you to install Japanese language support.

9. nova

nova Active Member

Thank you for your posts - Â But ... which last type from VASS comes closest to the one on the picture below? Thanks.. [​IMG]

10. jcusey

Nova. My opinion may be buried in all of the Jun Kuwana/technical stuff, but it's still there:

11. bengal-stripe

Eureka It works a treat. What a clever clog you are. Thanks.

12. jcusey

Perhaps, but you'll win the prize if you can make much sense out of the translation.

13. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Exactly. I think we should hire Jcusey as a Vass rep [​IMG]

14. nova

nova Active Member

Gentlemen: My next Vass shoes will be on a P2 last.

Thank you very much for your help.

15. bengal-stripe

That's a totally different kettle of (babel)fish.