1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vass last description

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Mar 21, 2005.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I did a search on the archives re: Vass lasts and came up with the U-last and Budapest.  Can anyone (Andrew) provide any info on the other lasts, specifically the Peter and P2.  I was hoping that Gabor stocked a few smaller sizes at the collective, however, no luck for the little people.

Rough equivalents to Edward Green, Lobb, and/or even Alden would be appreciated.

NCT

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Andrew did a comprehensive write-up on AA a few months or more ago, but I can't find it. I only have experience with two other Vass lasts besides U and Budapest.

Banana: As the name suggests, it's a banana last: exaggerated convex outer edge of the shoe, slight concave inner edge (unusual for a banana -- usually, it's straight). Its toebox has high walls and a blunt round toe. Shoes made on it are usually heavy and sturdy-looking.

P2: I believe that this is derivative of Banana, but I'm not sure. Given the name, it might make more sense if it were derivative of Peter instead. Regardless, it shares a lot of characteristics with Banana. Its outer edge is even more convex than Banana, and its inner edge is straight instead of concave. It also has the same high walls in the toebox. The principal difference is that it makes a much more elegant shoe than Banana. The toe is still round but not nearly as blunt. Vass will make shoes on P2 with a bevelled waist, and it's the only last I know of other than U that they will do this with. It's also the most comfortable last that I've tried. A real winner.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

Next to the U-Last, I think the P2 is the most "contemporary" of the Vass lasts.