• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vass: Last and Style Choice

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about my next Vass order and wanted to hear the boards thoughts about a few things.

First, my sense is that the U-Last looks its best with a cap toe (think Old English II). But, it also appears that most people order wingtips in the U-Last as well. I would have thought that the F-Last, with its slightly less pronounced toe would be more accommodating to a wingtip, but there are very few examples of the f-last wingtip floating around. So, what are peoples' preferences for wingtips, F or U?

Second, I have settled on oxblood, but have seen various shades pop up in pictures. Is this a difference only in the pictures or is there variation in the leather itself? Personally, I think the darker shoes look better than the lighter ones I have seen. Is this something I can request in the order?

Thanks, as always.

turtleracer81

Reaction score
I prefer the sleekness of the U last, but if you are considering a wingtip the toe may appear to be too elongated.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a wingtip vs. cap toe would factor in my decision on what last to choose. For me, dressier shoes ie oxfords lend themselves to the U Last. On the other hand, more casual chukkas, chunky blouchers, NST etc look better on New Peter or F-Last

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty wonderful "dressier shoe" on the F:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.