1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vass group buy - Australia / Singapore / NZ

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by arahat, Nov 8, 2013.

1. arahat

arahat Senior member

After some deliberation, the Vass group buy is now open to members in Australia, Singapore and New Zealand.

Interested members in the other neighbouring countries, please PM me. Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Hey Arahat,

Any update on the pricing for the shoes for this group buy?

3. arahat

arahat Senior member

I haven't been able to get definitive discounted pricing from Vass yet. We'll have to have a minimum of 10 orders before we get any discounted group pricing.

We have a total of 7 orders so far (including 1 order external to Styleforum).

So 3 more to go at the very least though ideally we'll want to have a bit more since there will probably be some who will not proceed with the actual order.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

[​IMG]

Beautiful. I'll take some of these whatever they are. ;)

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Those look vaguely familiar.... :)

The colour is "Red Cognac" in the Vass lexicon. Bordeaux and Oxblood are progressively darker. I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with.

6. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

I remember the price of Vass direct is approx EUR350-420 for the Italian models (U/F lasts).

I would be keen on similar pricing and even a discount stack for group buy.

7. arahat

arahat Senior member

When was your order at those prices? It's tantalising.

I did a Vass direct order for some suede captoes boots (F-last) about 8 weeks ago which came up to 540 euros delivered to Aus.
    Shoes will probably be cheaper.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Around the high 3xx euro was what I expected as well. I think they were about $450au last time I checked but that was when the Aussie dollar was a fair bit stronger. Maybe wishful thinking but I hoped the group buy discount would balance out the cost of shipping.

9. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Well, granted it was just the base cost not an all in with trees/shipping.

10. Kaufebeen

Kaufebeen Member

count me in for a pair.

Style: (i'm not sure if its called a Weymouth)
    Size: 43
    Last: U-Last
    Leather: Calf
    Colour: In their available ilcea leathers
    Other Details:

i) Double leather sole (would you advise if it looks better for it to be tapered to 1 mid-sole)
    ii) Flush Metal Toe Tip
    iii) Finish: Italian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

details to be finalized.

11. arahat

arahat Senior member

Good to see you here Kaufebeen.

I think double leather soles tapering to a single at the mid-sole is a great idea.

Posted latest summary update since original post can no longer be edited. Let me know if I got anyone's details wrong.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  12. arahat

arahat Senior member

:DI am setting up a Vass shoes group buy with members in Australia, Singapore and New Zealand. Members from the other neighbouring countries who are interested, please PM me. I have more details here from speaking to Vass. Will keep updating the thread as the propspective group buy firms up and/or more details come to hand. We are apparently not restricted to only a few variations of last, style or leather although they would prefer if permutations were kept to a modest number. Pricing: It would be ideal if we can get at least about 12 orders to get a meaningful discount. No definite pricing yet. They will talk about that when we have the numbers to show for it. I expect it to be much better than anything on retail (online or otherwise). It should be competitive with the proxy sellers. Nevertheless, depending on your order I am thinking it'll be around the low - mid 400s up to 500+ euros shipped. This includes the standard Vass shoe trees. Please bear in mind, this is only my guess. We'll only know the price when we make the minimum order and Vass discloses the price. Details like boots orders, shell cordovan, using the K, U or F lasts etc. will also determine the price. Time-frame: Estimated delivery date would be around April 2014. I am hoping to be in Budapest then. That means the orders and payment ought to be settled by late Jan 2014. I'll throw some ideas for the Vass shoes/boots and interested parties can chime in on their thoughts. I am thinking we should keep it to perhaps 3 or 4 style options (eg. chukka boots or Adelaide oxfords) with slight variations in last, width and leather? [​IMG] Chukka boots for versitility. [​IMG] [​IMG] Calf/Suede Adelaides or wingtips. [​IMG] [​IMG] Austerity Wingtip or some other boots variation? [​IMG] U-cap brogue derby shoes Current Interested Parties: 1. eightace (F last, double monk, gold museum calf) 2. ovlov (F last, brogue wingtip oxford - Bordeaux) 3. arahat (F last, chukka boots with 1-inch higher in shaft height + double leather soles - navy scotchgrain, EU 41) 4. JayH (U Last, Adelaide punched toe cap oxford shoes, Double sole tapered to single at waist, flush metal toe caps - Oxblood. EU 43.5) 5. Osiris2012 (F-last, Adelaide with punch toe oxford shoes + double leather soles tapering to single - Oxblood calf, EU 42) 6. nabilmust ((F-last, Austerity wingtip boots + double leather soles tapering to single - Red Brown Suede, EU 41) 7. nelseypants (U last, chukka boots with double leather sole + topy and metal toe plate - Antic cognac calf leather) 8. Kaufebeen (U-last, derby shoes with U-cap brogues with flush metal toe tips and double leather soles tapering to single - ilcea leather) 9. Sartorial Scum (F last, Wingtip brogue oxford shoes - Dark Cognac Boxcalf, EU 41.5) 10. PDub (F-last, Old English II + single Redenbach sole with metal toe tips - Antique cognac calf, EU 43.5) 11, iamalfie (U last, Italian oxford shoes with v-cap - Oxblood) 12. external party (3636 last, brogue derby captoe shoes with double leather soles & flush metal toe tips - oxblood)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  13. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Would be keen on these.[​IMG]

If we have an idea of what group pricing looks like id be happy to pull the trigger

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  14. arahat

arahat Senior member

I am reluctant to quote a price since I will be simply guessing.

Nevertheless, depending on your order I am thinking it'll be around the low - mid 400s up to 500+ euros shipped. This includes the standard Vass shoe trees.
    Please bear in mind, this is only my guess. We'll only know the price when we make the minimum order and Vass discloses the price.

Details like boots orders, shell cordovan, using the K, U or F lasts etc. will also determine the price.

15. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Potentially interested. Never done a group buy before. Is there a list of styles to choose from? Is there a size/last guide?

16. eightace

eightace Senior member

I'm interested, but need sizing advice. If anyone's got any tips re. this, I'd be keen to hear them.

17. arahat

arahat Senior member

eightace, I am a true US 8.5 with a wide forefoot. I have medium-high insteps.

I fit the F-last or P2 last in size EU 41 nicely.
    I usually specify a wider width (G-width) with the F-last.

For reference, I am a UK8 on Tricker's 4497 last and a UK7.5 on C&J's 337 last (though a touch narrow for me).

[​IMG]

I found wiki's shoe size diagram to be helpful in getting your EU size.

mezentius, the styles we are considering are on post #32
    Vass group buy Summary Update

If you'd like something different, let us know. We are trying to keep the number of order variations to a modest number but I'm sure we can accommodate something.

There's more information on the different Vass lasts on the Vass thread.
    Ultimate Vass Thread

But I would say in general the F and P2 last are very forgiving and fit a wide spectrum of feet.

The U and K lasts are very sleek and would work well if you have narrow-medium width feet.

The 3636, Peter and Budapester last are more generous and accommodates a high volume forefoot very well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  18. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Well regardless of what comes up as the price, id love to jump in on it if possible.

Cheers for organising it :)

19. arahat

arahat Senior member

My pleasure. Cheers, added you on the list.

20. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks for the sizing info arahat.