• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass fit: U vs. F last

Jerry52

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Chris. In your reply, you introduced me to yet OTHER makes I didn't know before! Yikes! As a friend of mine quips, "the plot sickens!"
tounge.gif

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
So how do you guys like Vass for "bang for buck" compared with Aldens or Santonis or Crockett & Jones or Ferrigamo??? How does it compare for comfort and build quality and visual appeal? Is there a reliable seller of Vass that offers some discounts? I take it some of their shoes are available under $500 US? Thanks...Vass seems like the "gray ghost" on this board--- well respected but not nearly as discussed as Lobb, Green, etc. It's a recent discovery for me and I'm sort of curious...Of course they might not fit my 12-C foot very well, which is the story of most imports.

Jerry

nest.gif

AFAIK, the only official retailer in the US is Bergdorf Goodman which has some Vass models on sale during its semi-annual sales. Louis, Boston and Skyvalet in DC used to carry Vass. I believe Skyvalet may still have some left-over stock on sale, you should check with them.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Thanks, mussel, I might give SkyValet a call. They evidently carry a lot of nice shoes, to judge by how often they're mentioned around here.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bergdorfs has a bunch on sale now. One suede and calf mix looks pretty cool.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Bergdorfs has a bunch on sale now. One suede and calf mix looks pretty cool.

Good to know. I've called their shoe department before but didn't get far. I think mostly because of my 12-C size. Maybe worth another try.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Good to know. I've called their shoe department before but didn't get far. I think mostly because of my 12-C size. Maybe worth another try.
I responded in another thread, but Vass models are down to $599 now, so it's a great deal. When I tried on the F last today, the insteps are the same (both fairly high), but the toe is definitely roomier. Because the toe has more room, I can go down to a 43 on the F, versus a 43.5 on the U.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I responded in another thread, but Vass models are down to $599 now, so it's a great deal.

When I tried on the F last today, the insteps are the same (both fairly high), but the toe is definitely roomier. Because the toe has more room, I can go down to a 43 on the F, versus a 43.5 on the U.

Is this at Bergdorf Goodman, Earthmover?

Earthmover

Reaction score
Is this at Bergdorf Goodman, Earthmover?

Yup. At Bergdorf. Sorry that wasn't clear before.

mussel

Reaction score
Don't want to start a new thread or don't know where to fit this. I guess this is good news for Vass customers:

Hungary postpones adaption of Euro beyond 2010

Hungary, hobbled by a government crisis that brought thousands into the streets in protest in October, has abandoned previous goals [adaption of Euro] of 2010 or so and has not chosen a new date....

Jerry52

Reaction score
I did contact them, was treated very courteously, they had nothing on sale circa $400 my size but he said he'd keep me posted. The sale is to last into the New Year as I understand it, and he said they get more sale merchandise in.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
Don't want to start a new thread or don't know where to fit this. I guess this is good news for Vass customers:

Hungary postpones adaption of Euro beyond 2010

Are they the last European country other than England not to accept the Euro? The US dollar is being CREAMED by the British Pound Sterling and faring almost as bad against the Euro. Heck, the US dollar is barely ahead of the Canadian!

free

Reaction score
Any shoes marked as a US 9D fit me quite well. Am I correct to assume that a Vass size 42 in the U last would be a decent fit for me?

Also, what is currently the most cost effective way to purchase Vass shoes besides making a trip to Budapest? How about asking a friend in Germany to order them from the web retailor and ship to me? ... Really, really like to get the shell cordovan chukka boots in U last!

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
you guys in the US have NOTHING to complain about!!!

hmmm...nothing to complain about?...well, they say never discuss religion and politics...and I wasn't going to talk about religion.
teacha.gif

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on both the F and U last yesterday at the Vass shop, I think the F last is about half a size roomier width wise than the U last. And small world, I bummed inot another SF member while I was there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads