Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vass fit: U vs. F last

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Thanks for the info, Chris. In your reply, you introduced me to yet OTHER makes I didn't know before! Yikes! As a friend of mine quips, "the plot sickens!" [​IMG]

2. mussel

mussel Senior member

So how do you guys like Vass for "bang for buck" compared with Aldens or Santonis or Crockett & Jones or Ferrigamo??? How does it compare for comfort and build quality and visual appeal? Is there a reliable seller of Vass that offers some discounts? I take it some of their shoes are available under $500 US? Thanks...Vass seems like the "gray ghost" on this board--- well respected but not nearly as discussed as Lobb, Green, etc. It's a recent discovery for me and I'm sort of curious...Of course they might not fit my 12-C foot very well, which is the story of most imports.

Jerry

[​IMG]

AFAIK, the only official retailer in the US is Bergdorf Goodman which has some Vass models on sale during its semi-annual sales. Louis, Boston and Skyvalet in DC used to carry Vass. I believe Skyvalet may still have some left-over stock on sale, you should check with them.

3. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Thanks, mussel, I might give SkyValet a call. They evidently carry a lot of nice shoes, to judge by how often they're mentioned around here.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Bergdorfs has a bunch on sale now. One suede and calf mix looks pretty cool.

5. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Bergdorfs has a bunch on sale now. One suede and calf mix looks pretty cool.

Good to know. I've called their shoe department before but didn't get far. I think mostly because of my 12-C size. Maybe worth another try.

6. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Good to know. I've called their shoe department before but didn't get far. I think mostly because of my 12-C size. Maybe worth another try.
    I responded in another thread, but Vass models are down to $599 now, so it's a great deal. When I tried on the F last today, the insteps are the same (both fairly high), but the toe is definitely roomier. Because the toe has more room, I can go down to a 43 on the F, versus a 43.5 on the U.

7. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

I responded in another thread, but Vass models are down to $599 now, so it's a great deal.

When I tried on the F last today, the insteps are the same (both fairly high), but the toe is definitely roomier. Because the toe has more room, I can go down to a 43 on the F, versus a 43.5 on the U.

Is this at Bergdorf Goodman, Earthmover?

8. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Is this at Bergdorf Goodman, Earthmover?

Yup. At Bergdorf. Sorry that wasn't clear before.

9. mussel

mussel Senior member

Don't want to start a new thread or don't know where to fit this. I guess this is good news for Vass customers:

Hungary postpones adaption of Euro beyond 2010

10. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

I did contact them, was treated very courteously, they had nothing on sale circa $400 my size but he said he'd keep me posted. The sale is to last into the New Year as I understand it, and he said they get more sale merchandise in.

11. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Don't want to start a new thread or don't know where to fit this. I guess this is good news for Vass customers:

Hungary postpones adaption of Euro beyond 2010

Are they the last European country other than England not to accept the Euro? The US dollar is being CREAMED by the British Pound Sterling and faring almost as bad against the Euro. Heck, the US dollar is barely ahead of the Canadian!

12. Sator

Sator Senior member

Compared to the way the Australian dollar fares against the pound, euro and US dollar you guys in the US have NOTHING to complain about!!!

13. free

free Well-Known Member

Any shoes marked as a US 9D fit me quite well. Am I correct to assume that a Vass size 42 in the U last would be a decent fit for me?

Also, what is currently the most cost effective way to purchase Vass shoes besides making a trip to Budapest? How about asking a friend in Germany to order them from the web retailor and ship to me? ... Really, really like to get the shell cordovan chukka boots in U last!

14. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

you guys in the US have NOTHING to complain about!!!

hmmm...nothing to complain about?...well, they say never discuss religion and politics...and I wasn't going to talk about religion. [​IMG]

15. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I tried on both the F and U last yesterday at the Vass shop, I think the F last is about half a size roomier width wise than the U last. And small world, I bummed inot another SF member while I was there.