• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VASS F Last questions.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you responding if you have no idea how they fit? If I needed regular shoe fitting advice, I would ask a schmo off the street and let him call me a marsupial. I dont need your input if you dont have specific knowledge.

I own about a half-dozen pairs of Vass, of which 2 are F last. I know how they fit my feet. I don't know how they fit yours. Read. More. Carefully.

As for not wanting to waste a grand, I'm sure nobody does. But if you think you can get a guaranteed fit on the web, you are kidding yourself. As I said, you won't even get a consensus. And you haven't.

When all you can provide as a guide to how shoes fit your feet is a general notion that you might be an 11 or 11.5 US, then your odds of getting meaningful fit advice go down considerably. Were you able to provide several examples of known fits from recognized brands and specific lasts, you would have a better chance.

But you seem to perceive that the fit answer is just out there and all you have to do is ask. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Suurreal

Reaction score

I own about a half-dozen pairs of Vass, of which 2 are F last. I know how they fit my feet.  I don't know how they fit yours.  Read. More. Carefully.

As for not wanting to waste a grand, I'm sure nobody does.  But if you think you can get a guaranteed fit on the web, you are kidding yourself.  As I said, you won't even get a consensus.  And you haven't.

When all you can provide as a guide to how shoes fit your feet is a general notion that you might be an 11 or 11.5 US, then your odds of getting meaningful fit advice go down considerably.  Were you able to provide several examples of known fits from recognized brands and specific lasts, you would have a better chance.

But you seem to perceive that the fit answer is just out there and all you have to do is ask.  Good luck with that.

Yes. I understand. I was just hoping for generalized guidance of the fit of the F last.

For edward green 82 last, I'm a US 11. For the 325 last of Crockett I'm a US 11 as well.

How do you find the F last compared to those?

Thanks for your help.

shorstsf

Reaction score
I really don't understand those who size up / down between them as they essentially fit the same.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really don't understand those who size up / down between them as they essentially fit the same.

Has it occured to you that the particularities of feet and sizing differ amongst individuals? Given that the vast majority of people size up on the U last, it's obvious that your experience is the anomalous one here.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also considering a pair of Vass in the F-last. I wear the following sizes in other brands:
9.5D US in C&J for BB 341 last (probably corresponds to 8.5E UK, but not sure)
8.5E UK in C&J 348 and 365 lasts
42 in MMM boots
42 in Fiorentini and Baker boots

All of the above fit me very well. The fore-foot in the C&J 365 is roomy, as I assume it is meant to be, as it is a country boot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^Depending on your instep. I would recommend a 43.5

Ok, thanks. So I guess Vass sizing does not follow standard EU sizing? According to all of the charts, 43.5 would be a bit large for me.

As for my instep, I suspect it is only slightly high. I wear C&J oxfords, and the gap is about .5" or smaller, but not completely closed.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am also considering a pair of Vass in the F-last. I wear the following sizes in other brands:
42 in MMM boots

All of the above fit me very well. The fore-foot in the C&J 365 is roomy, as I assume it is meant to be, as it is a country boot.

I am a slightly narrower than medium US9.5D. I wear UK9D in Edward Green, UK8.5E in C&J 337 and John Lobb 8695, and UK8.5 in Carmina. The Vass U last fits pretty well in 42.5. I ordered a Vass F last group MTO from Epaulet in 42.5.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
msulinski - I am not familiar with the lasts you have listed, but I think a Vass 43.5 - which corresponds with roughly a US 10.5 - would be too big.. I wear a lot of US 10D and UK 9 and wear a Vass 43 in the F last.

I suspect 42.5 in Vass would be your starting point - then if you could indicate any particulars of fit (instep - high, low medium, forefoot width etc.) perhaps further recommendations could be made.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

msulinski - I am not familiar with the lasts you have listed, but I think a Vass 43.5 - which corresponds with roughly a US 10.5 - would be too big..  I wear a lot of US 10D and UK 9 and wear a Vass 43 in the F last.

I suspect 42.5 in Vass would be your starting point - then if you could indicate any particulars of fit (instep - high, low medium, forefoot width etc.) perhaps further recommendations could be made.

RogerP, you are correct. I was thinking of my corresponding size of 9.5E on 348. Thank you for catching that.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

42 in MMM boots

According to your location you're in New York City. The only two American Vass stocklists are located in New York and both are affiliate vendors in good standing. There really is no need to ask helpful, kind strangers on an internet forum for help on sizing when you can avail yourself of the opportunity to determine your size in person. If you're not located in New York City No Man Walks Alone offers free returns on all non-sale items. If you can narrow down your sizes to within half a size you can order both sizes and keep the one that fits while returning the other one. This pretty much eliminates the Vass sizing risk for US based buyers. You lucky bastards.

Prices at both are a bit more than ordering directly through Vass or through a proxy. However, if you do take advantage of using them to nail down your size you should purchase from them as they've offered you an essential service and they deserve the sale.

Epaulet : Website here.
Affiliate Thread here.

No Man Walks Alone: Website here.
Affiliate thread here.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great, thanks for that info. I will definitely check them out in person then.

jojo1

Reaction score
I'm a solid 11 in Alden Aberdeen, a 10.5 in Alden Barrie, a 10.5/11d in EG 202 last.

I'm a 43.5 in Vass F last, and 43 in their P2 last. I was in their shop in Budapest and was certain based on all the conversion discussions that I would need a bigger size, but trying on the different sizes (over and over) this is where I ended up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads