• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass damage (the bad kind)

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went out and got these absolutely soaked a few weeks back when we had the deluge of snow over here in the UK. Thought they would dry out and the damage would disappear but they never did. Not seen damage like this before. Looks like a kind of crackled crust on the surface of the shoe. I've tried wiping it with a damp cloth but nothing. Not sure what I can do - any ideas? Thanks in advance as usual...
DSCF0505.jpg
DSCF0506.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Crackled Crust'; by heavens, what a great name for that wonderful patina you've established.
Embrace it, I say, and be one with the crust.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Condition it, polish it and don't worry so much about it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great to see that .sig back.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's only the third time I've worn them
ffffuuuu.gif

Looks a lot worse IRL.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
Well it's only the third time I've worn them
ffffuuuu.gif

Looks a lot worse IRL.

since people seem to like patina on here, put them in B&S for twice what you paid.

hand crafted patina costs extra

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Repeated applications of brown or dark brown cream should even that out considerably, otherwise you may want to send them to Ron Rider to work his magic.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSCF0505.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

Have no idea what to do with these Stephen never had this happen to me even though ive worn shoes in some pretty ****** weather.

All i'll say mate is id be pretty pissed if this happened to me
frown.gif
Just last weekend got a pair of "higher end" shoes pissed wet through and covered in road salt with not a mark after they dried overnight.

Patina? my arse.....!!!!!!
plain.gif

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yup definitely not a patina! I'm never that precious about shoes but these look pretty terrible in the daylight. Maybe it was something to do with the salt.

Ron Rider treatment sounds like it might be a way to go. Have tried loads of conditioner / cream and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Odd thing is I've never seen damage like that before...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ Yup definitely not a patina! I'm never that precious about shoes but these look pretty terrible in the daylight. Maybe it was something to do with the salt.

Ron Rider treatment sounds like it might be a way to go. Have tried loads of conditioner / cream and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Odd thing is I've never seen damage like that before...

Could be acidic rain. Do you know if these are crust finished shoes, or aniline dyed? If it was crust that would make sense. If you wanted to try something yourself I would get some AFTA, or Angelus de glazer, or meltonian color preparer and rub a small amount on it to see if it goes away, I would then use reno, then a colored cream, buf then build small layers of wax back over it. I bet that would do the trick.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Condition it, polish it and don't worry so much about it.

this is good advice

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
this is good advice

+1

actually i have a thrifted pair, which shows the same. i love it, due to thirty pairs, i don't have to care about one single...

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never wear expensive shoes in the rain and snow.
Have at least 2 pairs of beater shoes for the bad weather.

In fact, I'm even hesitant to wear my "dress boots" in the bad weather.
Do you guys seal your dress boots? If so, what do you use?
I'd like to seal mine before they see too much moisture and start to stain.,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads