• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass cordovan and Carminas cordovan whole cut

grigri75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
I have those same Vass u chukkas in a smaller size, but alas, they didn't live up to expectations. One fits well, but the other puts excessive pressure on my ankle bone, forcing me to wear them very loosely tied. I have no idea why this happened or how to overcome it. All of my non-chukka Vass u's fit perfectly in the same size.

The other problem is that I bought them for wet weather based on what many have said about cordovan's ability to withstand water. They met rain on the first wearing and proceeded to bubble everywhere. Drying out followed by Saphir Rejuvenateur helped to reduce the problem, but the cordovan has never been the same since, and they continue to bubble if sprinkled on.

YMMV.

I am in Budapest for a couple of days and about to place an order for new vass Chukkas

What is your final opinion about those vass chukkas and if you would recommend it. (did those bubbles dissapear after brushing?)

Surprisingly eva vass rather recommanded the boxcalf for those boots as i thought cordovans would be the best winter match. (they eventually explained me the water spots encountered with cordovan)

Thank your for your time Gentlemen

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the bubbling is a random occurrence with cordovan and is always a possibility. If you're up for the risk and want to do it then by all means go for it. Just seems to be pretty unpredictable as it all depends on the specific hide at hand. Calf is certainly a safer bet. I have a Vass Chukka in calf and suede and have one coming in dark brown cordovan as well. It's a win-win situation any way you do it!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
From what I understand the bubbling is a random occurrence with cordovan and is always a possibility. If you're up for the risk and want to do it then by all means go for it. Just seems to be pretty unpredictable as it all depends on the specific hide at hand. Calf is certainly a safer bet. I have a Vass Chukka in calf and suede and have one coming in dark brown cordovan as well. It's a win-win situation any way you do it!

wow you are really attached to the chukka's then!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
wow you are really attached to the chukka's then!

Yep! Even considering getting a pair of round toe dark brown suede from Vass or AS! I'm just a big boot fan in general.

aon

Reaction score
I have the Vass chukka U last in calf. It fits me well except that like Montesquieu's experience, it puts pressure on my ankle. Does this get better or become more comfortable after a few more weeks of wear? I just polished mine this afternoon:
utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDgtMjAxMTAyMDYtMTEwMi5qcGc.jpg

grigri75

Reaction score
they look great, are they MTO ? i was wondering if they also measure your ankles diameter for MTO's. it will probably improve with the time. (your prefer this way rather than the opposite)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads