• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass - CHEAP?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, as mentioned already, the Florint is PLUMMETING. Simply having the rug pulled out from underneath it. The shoes have basically gone from ~$700 base to ~$500 base due to the change in the exchange rates.

Key component is, how do we, as Americans, with a strengthening dollar, take advantage of this decline? Anyone with any ideas?

The florint is expected to continue to fall in the near future versus the dollar...

Any idea how to order from Vass directly?

I know about contacting Eiko, and I emailed him about a week ago, no response, but his rates are in Euros anyway.

Thanks. Let's work a strengthening dollar in our favor, as it has not been this way for a long time...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The pound is down to 1.67 to the dollar, and that was enough for me to place four new bespoke projects in the pipeline yesterday.

I'm all ears if someone has had any success ordering directly from Vass as opposed to buying the shoes in person. I will say, though, that the usual intermediaries offer a lot useful convenience.

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The pound is down to 1.67 to the dollar, and that was enough for me to place four new bespoke projects in the pipeline yesterday.

I'm all ears if someone has had any success ordering directly from Vass as opposed to buying the shoes in person. I will say, though, that the usual intermediaries offer a lot useful convenience.

- B

Even just a few hours later, www.xe.com shows the pound at $1.65, and the Forint at 215 to the $US (down about 7% in a week).

Is there anything really worth buying in Hungary besides Tokay and shoes? This could get interesting if their economy implodes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Is there anything really worth buying in Hungary besides Tokay and shoes? This could get interesting if their economy implodes.

I give it six puttanyos.

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I give it six puttanyos.

- B

I'm holding out for the Eszencia. But there may be many item of interest.

emptym

Reaction score
I'd be interested too, if anyone found out.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps some arbitrage to be found in jewelers. What was bought when the Forint was strong may still only be marked up the normal amount, especially if the rest of the economy is in the toilet. I'm not a great believer in expensive watches but if you marked a Patrimony Traditionelle or PP 5196 down far enough...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
..., and that was enough for me to place four new bespoke projects in the pipeline yesterday.

I am all ears, you make me curious.

Hungary:
Poperty is still cheap on the countryside.

But for all imported goods, you have to pay a premium.

Cornellian

Reaction score
With Vass 2.5 hours away, I really should start some sort of import/export business for the forum...

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
With Vass 2.5 hours away, I really should start some sort of import/export business for the forum...

Ok, you have my attention?

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£= 351.88 Forint at the moment, so not bad for us in the UK...although not great if taken in context over the last five years.

Could this be the start of a new trend, looking for crashed currencies in order to feed our obsession?
laugh.gif

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even just a few hours later, www.xe.com shows the pound at $1.65, and the Forint at 215 to the $US (down about 7% in a week).

the pound at 1.65 USD? I do not know when it was ever that low. Supposedly there were all time lows when I lived in the UK - 2000-2001 and the pound was about 1.7ish USD.

When I was in the UK this past April, the pound was about 2 to 2.1 (even some places exchanged at 2.2) USD.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian

I was thinking that Vass (and the rest of hungary) might stop accepting the florint and only accept the Euro, even though they are not a part of the EU.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was thinking that it would be interesting if their economy imploded. I wonder how they are dealing with this sinking economy over there - if they are just raising the prices of everything in Florints like 10 to 20 %, or if the prices are staying fixed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads