vass appointment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by globetrotter, Dec 10, 2004.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I will be in Budapest around February, and I wanted to get 2 new pairs of shoes (I was thinking of chuka boots and medalian toed oxfords - both in black cordovan) and get them made on a bespoke last. I will only be in budapest for a day or 2. can anybody tell me:

how do I go about setting an appointment so that I can make sure that I get this done in the time I have?

Last time I was there they told me that I needed to custom shoes up myself. Can I get somebody else (I actually have an office and a couple of people who report to me there) to pick them up and send them to me?

anybody know?

2. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

I exchanged some e-mails with Mr. Vass' daughter, who speaks English, to set up an appointment, although it was not clear to me that was necessary. However, I think it makes sense, particularly if you don't speak Hungarian.

They mailed me my shoes (to the US), although perhaps they have changed their policy due to customs problems or some other reason.

FWIW, you might want to order just one pair initially, in order to confirm the fit of the last. Ordering a second pair ought to be pretty easy if the first pair fits.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

thanks. I have somebody who can pick them up and mail them to me, if that is needed, and who can actually talk hungarian with them, if needed. You used the email on their website?

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe Vass prefers bespoke shoes to be collected (at least the first time). Unlike other (more expensive) workshops Vass does not make a sample shoe or have a fitting. If something had gone wrong and the fit was not to the expected standard they could be rectified immediately. I remember Kai (from this forum) having some problems with the first pair. But (I believe) they were corrected subsequently. Life will be much easier without sending them back and forth and being able to communicate directly and point at the trouble spot. You might want (to cut down variables) try on a number of the ready-made shoes. Then you can say you want the toe-shape from X, the heel-fit from Y and the length from Z.