• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VASS and Epaulet MTO & Group Buy Thread

mtc2000

Reaction score
May not be everyone's ideal, the Goyser stitches give the double monk a very robust look. Beside the hand-welting construction, the main thing that attracts me to Vass is the availability of Goyser stitches for a more affordable premium (comparing to most Italian/French outfits).

Three pairs, all in U last, Shell Cordovan: Antique Cognac, saddle (360 degree), Bordeaux.

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
glad top hear you are getting Vass shoes. They look beautiful indeed.

do you know if they have a good wide last? I have heard they do and would be very interested.

many of us here have wide feet and domestically it seems like Alden's Modified Last is the best/only option for us. Another option (and from Vass!) would likely be very very popular.

For reference here is a 60+ page thread on Alden's Modified Last and an attempt to get Moulded Shoes to make a special order for a Modified Last boot.

Could be a profitable niche market? hint hint....

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it looks best on the first pair. I cannot stand it on the 3rd pair. Either way it is not my style

mtc2000

Reaction score

glad top hear  you are getting Vass shoes.  They look beautiful indeed.  

do you know if they have a good wide last?  I have heard they do and would be very interested.  

many of us here have wide feet and domestically it seems like Alden's Modified Last is the best/only option for us.  Another option (and from Vass!) would likely be very very popular.

For reference here is a 60+ page thread on Alden's Modified Last and an attempt to get Moulded Shoes to make a special order for a Modified Last boot.  

Could be a profitable niche market?  hint hint....

Vass has a Banana last, which is quite wide. It doesn't have a narrow waist as in the Modified though.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike said earlier that Vass will offer a wide fitting option on most of their lasts for a group MTO.

Goyser stitching is not really my cup of tea either, would definitely prefer a DM without it.

Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score
As a comparison, Epaulet x Carmina. Navy & saddle shell.

Personally, I think the Carmina double monks look much better. I prefer the rounder toe and the goyser stitch just looks out of place on the double monks -- like a child was learning to make the shoe and is still learning. I don't know if I would like the goyser stitch on a more hefty shoe -- like a longwing -- but a double monk is a plain, sleek style of shoe. Of course, this is all taste on which reasonable minds can differ. This mind, reasonable or not, knows what it prefers in this regard.

mtc2000

Reaction score
Interesting to see how style, taste and perception changed over time. Historically, the double monk style started life as the John Lobb William (or should I say William Lobb), which was not exactly a sleek shoe. Over the decades, this style has evolved into something elegant and sleek (e.g. EG Westminster etc.).

bibs

Reaction score
Split Toe in Dark Brown Museum Calf (darker shade than my double monks - Mr. Vass prefers this shade for boots)

This :slayer:

gene

Reaction score

If you like wide, just go Budapest, Peter, or 3636 last

I've had a pair of Modified last for the past 2.5 years on regular rotation and I'd say that it's wide in the forefoot but not in the rest of the shoe. For me the fit is close through the heel and midfoot but without any restriction in the toebox (which I still get with e.g. Barrie). I've just had the pleasure of trying on several of the Vass lasts in Budapest and found the P2/New Peter to be much preferable to the others as it gives that extra space in the forefoot. Even the Budapest and Peter lasts have less width in the toebox where I want it. I didn't try on the 3636 though. The F was mostly just uncomfortable. I didn't even bother with the U, honestly, as I saw little hope of it fitting me well.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had a pair of Modified last for the past 2.5 years on regular rotation and I'd say that it's wide in the forefoot but not in the rest of the shoe. For me the fit is close through the heel and midfoot but without any restriction in the toebox (which I still get with e.g. Barrie). I've just had the pleasure of trying on several of the Vass lasts in Budapest and found the P2/New Peter to be much preferable to the others as it gives that extra space in the forefoot. Even the Budapest and Peter lasts have less width in the toebox where I want it. I didn't try on the 3636 though. The F was mostly just uncomfortable. I didn't even bother with the U, honestly, as I saw little hope of it fitting me well.

The 3636 is a a very wide and comfortably fitting last. For some reference, I wear a 10.5EEE in Allen Edmonds and had no problem fitting into a regular width 3636 last. If you scan through the Vass thread, some people size down 1/2 size on the 3636. The P2 (or new peter) is a rounded last with good space for a normal-ish foot (i.e. D width or a little on the wide side). I have some Vass wholecuts on the 3636, I'll try and dig out some pics.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 3636 is a a very wide and comfortably fitting last. For some reference, I wear a 10.5EEE in Allen Edmonds and had no problem fitting into a regular width 3636 last. If you scan through the Vass thread, some people size down 1/2 size on the 3636. The P2 (or new peter) is a rounded last with good space for a normal-ish foot (i.e. D width or a little on the wide side). I have some Vass wholecuts on the 3636, I'll try and dig out some pics.

How longer has Vass.had that last? I was in their shop in Budapest seven years ago
and they were unable to fit me in any shoe. Hint: I wear 4E running shoes.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How longer has Vass.had that last? I was in their shop in Budapest seven years ago
and they were unable to fit me in any shoe. Hint: I wear 4E running shoes.

I would imagine they have had it for quite some time, but I can't speak for seven years ago. My experience with them does not go back that far. If per chance the normal width does not fit you, they can also modify lasts to fit you, and they have it in wide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads