1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

VASS and Epaulet MTO & Group Buy Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Epaulet, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

May not be everyone's ideal, the Goyser stitches give the double monk a very robust look. Beside the hand-welting construction, the main thing that attracts me to Vass is the availability of Goyser stitches for a more affordable premium (comparing to most Italian/French outfits).

Three pairs, all in U last, Shell Cordovan: Antique Cognac, saddle (360 degree), Bordeaux.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

glad top hear you are getting Vass shoes. They look beautiful indeed.

do you know if they have a good wide last? I have heard they do and would be very interested.

many of us here have wide feet and domestically it seems like Alden's Modified Last is the best/only option for us. Another option (and from Vass!) would likely be very very popular.

For reference here is a 60+ page thread on Alden's Modified Last and an attempt to get Moulded Shoes to make a special order for a Modified Last boot.

Could be a profitable niche market? hint hint....

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I think it looks best on the first pair. I cannot stand it on the 3rd pair. Either way it is not my style

4. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Vass has a Banana last, which is quite wide. It doesn't have a narrow waist as in the Modified though.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

If you like wide, just go Budapest, Peter, or 3636 last

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Mike said earlier that Vass will offer a wide fitting option on most of their lasts for a group MTO.

Goyser stitching is not really my cup of tea either, would definitely prefer a DM without it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

As a comparison, Epaulet x Carmina. Navy & saddle shell.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Personally, I think the Carmina double monks look much better. I prefer the rounder toe and the goyser stitch just looks out of place on the double monks -- like a child was learning to make the shoe and is still learning. I don't know if I would like the goyser stitch on a more hefty shoe -- like a longwing -- but a double monk is a plain, sleek style of shoe. Of course, this is all taste on which reasonable minds can differ. This mind, reasonable or not, knows what it prefers in this regard.

9. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Interesting to see how style, taste and perception changed over time. Historically, the double monk style started life as the John Lobb William (or should I say William Lobb), which was not exactly a sleek shoe. Over the decades, this style has evolved into something elegant and sleek (e.g. EG Westminster etc.).

10. bibs

bibs Senior member

This :slayer:

11. gene

gene Member

I've had a pair of Modified last for the past 2.5 years on regular rotation and I'd say that it's wide in the forefoot but not in the rest of the shoe. For me the fit is close through the heel and midfoot but without any restriction in the toebox (which I still get with e.g. Barrie). I've just had the pleasure of trying on several of the Vass lasts in Budapest and found the P2/New Peter to be much preferable to the others as it gives that extra space in the forefoot. Even the Budapest and Peter lasts have less width in the toebox where I want it. I didn't try on the 3636 though. The F was mostly just uncomfortable. I didn't even bother with the U, honestly, as I saw little hope of it fitting me well.

12. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

The 3636 is a a very wide and comfortably fitting last. For some reference, I wear a 10.5EEE in Allen Edmonds and had no problem fitting into a regular width 3636 last. If you scan through the Vass thread, some people size down 1/2 size on the 3636. The P2 (or new peter) is a rounded last with good space for a normal-ish foot (i.e. D width or a little on the wide side). I have some Vass wholecuts on the 3636, I'll try and dig out some pics.

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

How longer has Vass.had that last? I was in their shop in Budapest seven years ago
    and they were unable to fit me in any shoe. Hint: I wear 4E running shoes.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Posted elsewhere (okay, everywhere) but in case some might like another example of Museum Gold for future reference in this thread:

[​IMG]

15. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I would imagine they have had it for quite some time, but I can't speak for seven years ago. My experience with them does not go back that far. If per chance the normal width does not fit you, they can also modify lasts to fit you, and they have it in wide.

16. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

/

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  17. rc121

rc121 Senior member

very interested to see these pics, as I'm also a EEE in AE. Would be nice to find a rtw last that fits, I recently ended up ordering an F last in H width so we'll see how that turns out.

18. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

I am EEE in the modified last and need wide toebox.

The New Peter and 363 lasts could work?

19. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Is there anywhere in NYC to try on Vass lasts?

20. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

We have only gotten one delivery/style so far. Our first big delivery should be in early October.

We currently have this shoe in stock in the Manhattan store. Feel free to swing by and try on a pair!

[​IMG]

Vass F-Last Austerity Brogue Cognac Scotchgrain