• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VASS and Epaulet MTO & Group Buy Thread

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

very interested to see these pics, as I'm also a EEE in AE. Would be nice to find a rtw last that fits, I recently ended up ordering an F last in H width so we'll see how that turns out.

These are size 44.5D in 3636 last. I'm typically a 10.5EEE in the AE 5 last.

I am EEE in the modified last and need wide toebox.

The New Peter and 363 lasts could work?

I would say the 3636 may very possibly work for you.

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score
hmmm, but wouldn't a 44.5 correspond to an 11.5 and not a 10.5? Or are you saying you hade to size up?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmmm, but wouldn't a 44.5 correspond to an 11.5 and not a 10.5? Or are you saying you hade to size up?

Haha, I agonized over this issue for a long time before ordering. The elusive size issue.

All I can say is that I do not understand the Vass sizing conversion, but certainly do not believe it to be "standard" (i.e. 44.5 = 11.5). To cite a few examples from the boards here: One guy typically wears a 12D and wears a 45.5-46D in Vass, and another who wears an 11E and wears a 45 in Vass. All I can say is the 44.5 seems to fit me pretty well, in a perfect world I might be a 44E, but it does not appear to be a huge deal. I have tried on Allen Edmonds locally in a size 11.5 and found them to be much to big (i.e. heel slip), but do not have the same issue with my Vass.

This thread might be helpful: http://www.styleforum.net/t/43405/vass-shoe-sizing

If you are debating ordering from them, Mr. Kuti is extremely helpful. I sent him my foot tracings and measurements and he recommended a size to try. I was sent a size 45, which was too big, but he graciously took back the shoes and had another pair made for me in a size 44.5, which fit much better.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to repost this again, to make sure I have a good idea on sizing before the group MTOs are available this weekend. What would be my best bet for the double monk on the F last? I was thinking one width up from my Barrie size(12B), so that would be a 12C. What would be the equivalent of that in Vass sizing?

The more I see those DMs the more I like them. Mike asked about Goyser stitch, so I'll vote no on the DMs. Might look good on a different model, but I don't think the Goyser stitch would suit the monks as well as it would an Alt Wien or something like that.

I'm still not 100% sure on sizing, so I'd have to really nail that down before I can commit I an $1150 (gulp) shoe. I'm thinking the equivalent of a 12C (which is one width up from my Barrie size). What would that be in Vass sizing? 45.5E?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any group makeups available?

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case you guys haven't seen what dropped today, juust wanted to toss them up in here!

Vass for Epaulet Medallion Captoe High Boot - 3636 Last - Dark Cognac Calf $1295

Vass for Epaulet Theresianer Captoe - New Peter Last - Cognac Scotchgrain $865

Vass for Epaulet Alt Wien Captoe - 3636 Last - Antique Cognac Calf $865

Vass for Epaulet Double Monk - F Last - Oxblood Calf $865

Also, as a reminder for anyone who could have missed it:

The event will be held at our Manhattan store on Friday October 11th and Saturday October 12th. We'll have our Fall shoe delivery by that time and a selection of samples, so you'll be able to see a range of lasts and sizes. Leather and suede swatches will be on hand as well. Our staff and a VASS representative will be there to guide you into the perfect pair.

And as a special incentive, if you purchase a pair of VASS MTO shoes during this event, you may take 15% off any other items bought at the same time (which includes sale merchandise but does not include special order/made to order merchandise). If you cannot make it to our store, then no worries, we can take your order over the phone and the discount on any other merchandise purchased will still apply.

We hope to see you there!

VASS Made To Order Event
Epaulet Manhattan: 144 Orchard Street, NY, NY 10002

Friday October 11th, 12:30PM to 7:30PM
Saturday October 12th, 12:30PM to 7:30PM

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please have Mike check PM re: an MTO we've been discussing

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Please have Mike check PM re: an MTO we've been discussing

Gotcha, wrote you back. We can certainly hook that up for you!

We'll get our first group buys rolling tomorrow. It's confirmed that museum calf is going to return, so we can offer those makeups in both Gold (the medium brown) and Dark Brown. Here's leather swatches for the two of them. I can also do a six-unit run in Antique Cognac Cordovan - although shoes only, not boots.

Museum Calf Gold

Museum Calf Brown

We've got a bunch of guys interested in the Gold Museum Calf F-Last Double Monk, so I'm thinking that we should go ahead with that for style number one. We're totally open for the second shape, and there's been a lot of great ideas bounced around.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about austerity balmoral boot in dark brown museum calf?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know :) but I am using the process of elimination so if one MTO works I will give up on the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads