• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Varvatos Converse Quality

dastig

Reaction score
I bought a pair of converse slip on chucks from Gap about 6 months. They have been falling apart lately and I am looking for a new pair. I stopped by Off 5th yesterday and they had John Varvatos Converse for about $50. The price seems reasonable, but I am concerned with the quality. I don't want these to fall apart in 6 months.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality of Varvatos Converses? Are they made by Varvatos or are all converses made by one company and each company puts their name on them?

Thanks.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone else might have the low-down on the manufacturers involved, but they're going to be about the same quality as the regular line Converse.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard they're more comfortable though.

amr

Reaction score
I have a pair of the painted white chucks and they are definitely more comfortable than my regular chucks

z_finley

Reaction score
The price difference is mostly attributed to the materials used and the name on the insole. I can't imagine construction being much, if any better. My Varvatos Purcells are not nearly as comfortable as my regular Chuck low lace-ups - which I tie loose enough to slip on.

andyl

Reaction score
I have a pair of the khaki slip-ons. the quality is pretty good...

do you guys put gel insoles in your chucks?

dastig

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and bought them. They are actually Jack Purcells. I like them becuase they are not as standard as chucks.

As for the quality. I've only worn them once so far, but they are more comfortable than my gap chucks. I noticed there is extra lining in the padding inside and on the tongue of the shoe. I know they are just sneakers, but they seemed more refined and all around nicer than my gap chucks.

Also, I love getting 100 dollar shoes for only 50.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
just got a pair of Varvatos chucks from gilt, and the difference between these (msrp ~$125) and normal Chucks (msrp $45) seem to be:

- better laces
- leather circular patch
- shinier (more expensive by 30 cents?) eyeholes
- translucent soles
- canvas on the shoes seems more refined
- the insoles on the Varvatos are nice but I don't have a pair of normal chucks on hand to compare.
- the rubber on the sole and captoe seem the same.

Overall, better materials and not bad at $70.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
They won't last any longer than the regular converse version.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs

+1 Mine are less then a year old and there already starting to fall apart. Sad cause I really like them.

krillin

Reaction score
need these for summer. what color do you guys have? i only see blues but those are good enough. is there a cream or grey?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had the shoes, but the clothes are absolute crap. I have a (non-waterproof) trench, and the cloth is literally coming unwoven in less than a year's worth of wear.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs

makes sense-- the Varvatos chucks, like normal chucks, are made in China, and most of the materials that take the most wear and tear-- rubber on the sides of the sole, cap toe, stitching, etc seem to be the same.

Oh, well-- they look good, feel good, and they don't need to become family heirlooms.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got a pair of the varvatos purcells, slip-on version.
wore them pretty regularly but they didn't last much more than a year.
they looked great and were really comfy and were worth the $80 or whatever I spent at the time

flyindarkness

Reaction score
I thought the major difference between varvatos converse and regular converse is that the varvatos converse got a thick padded insole, therefore, more comfy. other than that, it's pretty much the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads