• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Various types.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was leafing through a fashion magazine for men, and I suddenly noticed something. It seems that for different brands there are different types of models.

For example the American brands like Polo or Guess have a more rugged look that is somewhat conventional. For brands like Fendi or Gucci the look seems to be thin, and affected with a feminine air.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Jantzen fan

Reaction score
Yeah - Fendi, Gucci and Prada all use these skinny, feminine guys or who are very 'grunge' looking. I guess it has to do with the their target audience.

Timothy

Reaction score
Hey Jantz don't forget Dior in that category. Actually this is nothing new. The models chosen are the body types the designers are designing for, and posses that certain look of the moment that epitomizes the label for that season. If you flip through a magazine like Arena, or Vogue Homme you'll see that they'll do the same thing for their fashion spreads, sometimes using the same models that the designer used on their runway in the shoot.

davei

Reaction score
Hey Jantz don't forget Dior in that category. Actually this is nothing new. The models chosen are the body types the designers are designing for, and posses that certain look of the moment that epitomizes the label for that season. If you flip through a magazine like Arena, or Vogue Homme you'll see that they'll do the same thing for their fashion spreads, sometimes using the same models that the designer used on their runway in the shoot.
I always find a bit of subversive glee when I see clothes being worn by people "not designed for", i.e. a lot of my students wear Polo as an urban, hip-hop type brand - to them it's not rugged or preppy at all. Myself, I still like (and wear) Dolce & Gabbana, even though I'm 5'8"/150. I'm neither built nor super slim, but I like a fitted silhouette so even their pants generally fit me OK
smile.gif

European Interloper

Reaction score
The designers generally pick models who suit the image they are trying to achieve that season. If you look at Gucci, their models have changed pretty drastically from the hirsute look of JR in last years S/S campaign to the androgenous look of the models in the A/W. The best models will fit into numerous campaigns due to their emminent moldability. However, unlike the Gucci seasonal trends, houses like Dior have stuck with a sustained look- be it Heidi Slimane's modish, slim look or John Galliano's outre, eclectic party look. Dior's ads, therefore, only change a bit every season. Ralph Lauren ads are strange in that they seem to change but are actually the exact same clothes on rotation. Oops, I just managed to sum up the label.
Sorry, that's my EU elitist slipping through.
European Interloper (and elitist)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads