• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Someone NEEDS to order the DR in this leather with silverzips
drool.gif
worship.gif
worship2.gif

Here's the Vanson C2 in blue...

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the coin pocket :/ although I'm not sure if it will work without the belt
Yes, I like the coin pocket too, I don't want something too minimalist. The double rider is supposed to be a bold piece: someone looking for a minimalist leather jacket should look for another model, like a cafe racer.
Not sure about the belt. If the jacket is a bit longer and covers your jean's belt, it could be ok. If not, it looks a bit odd to have a double belt!
!luc

Last edited:

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back is really important on the look and fit of the jacket. Does anyone have a picture of the Junya DR back? If we decide on a non-bike riding model, we could forego the side pleats and make it look cleaner.
!luc

Momokun

Reaction score

I actually disagree. If we're going for a slim fit, then shoulder gussets would be a good way of increasing range of movement.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I meant "slim", not constrictingly tight, I should be more careful when I write on SW&D. :)

This back looks clean enough, actually. Thanks.

!luc

Last edited:

Brian SD

Reaction score
'Slim' is a really subjective term and we're gonna need to clarify at some point exactly how far we're going with that. To me the appeal of this project is not only that it's being made to a high standard with real, quality leather, something you can't get from a Toj joint, but truth be told you can get that at any time from Vanson/Aero. What sets it apart is the fashion stylings, like the high armholes and sleek silhouette. The Junya jacket is exceptional, and it'd be silly to expect precisely the same thing at 1/4 the price.

But I'd like to be sure that it's going to be actually slim by fashion standards, not by typical Vanson standards. I made the mistake of buying a Vanson jacket off of Aero some years ago and while it was hard as nails and well-built, my normal size was like wearing a big leather sail. Had to sell that one, would like to avoid doing this a second time.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Slim' is a really subjective term and we're gonna need to clarify at some point exactly how far we're going with that. To me the appeal of this project is not only that it's being made to a high standard with real, quality leather, something you can't get from a Toj joint, but truth be told you can get that at any time from Vanson/Aero. What sets it apart is the fashion stylings, like the high armholes and sleek silhouette. The Junya jacket is exceptional, and it'd be silly to expect precisely the same thing at 1/4 the price.

But I'd like to be sure that it's going to be actually slim by fashion standards, not by typical Vanson standards. I made the mistake of buying a Vanson jacket off of Aero some years ago and while it was hard as nails and well-built, my normal size was like wearing a big leather sail. Had to sell that one, would like to avoid doing this a second time.

I think it's going to be hard to tell someone just to 'slim up' a jacket. Drew was apparently able to make jackets with a nice cut, but from what I saw there was a lot of trial and error involved in getting the pattern ratios correct, and they still usually looked off on bigger guys. I think trying to make these look like a Rick jacket or the original junya is going to be difficult, but just taking an inch or two out of the arms and back will go a long way while retaining the classic look.

@Thurston Bros - are Talon zippers the ones originally used by Schott to make their first jackets? Might be a cool detail if so, but YKK or the like is also fine.

Last edited:

Brian SD

Reaction score

I think it's going to be hard to tell someone just to 'slim up' a jacket.  Drew was apparently able to make jackets with a nice cut, but from what I saw there was a lot of trial and error involved in getting the pattern ratios correct, and they still usually looked off on bigger guys.  I think trying to make these look like a Rick jacket or the original junya is going to be difficult, but just taking an inch or two out of the arms and back will go a long way while retaining the classic look.

@Thurston Bros
 - are Talon zippers the ones originally used by Schott to make their first jackets? Might be a cool detail if so, but YKK or the like is also fine.

TOJ jackets are basically a 1:1 copy of the iconic Margiela joint with a few minor modifications.

Tuma

Reaction score
Brian, which TOJ model are you talking about?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, Vanson has been doing slim fits for the Japanese market for years, not to mention all the collage. They know how to slim up a jacket. And yeah, @Brian SD, I am sizing down 2 for the trial, so yeah, your normal fashion size would not have worked.

Brian SD

Reaction score

Brian, which TOJ model are you talking about?

The first jacket, 5-zip moto.

Guys, Vanson has been doing slim fits for the Japanese market for years, not to mention all the collage. They know how to slim up a jacket. And yeah, @Brian SD, I am sizing down 2 for the trial, so yeah, your normal fashion size would not have worked.

Maybe the Vansons I've seen in Japan are imported and not made to Japanese specs, but they're still pretty beefy, especially in the arms.

Tuma

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a good idea to hype up the new affiliate by dissing out the old one.

I'm curious what jacket is this Margiela joint you mentioned?

Last edited:

burghler

Reaction score
^Not sure what you mean with the first part, but I think he's referring to this model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads