• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks cool although seems a little cropped on you? Might just be the effect of the shirt underneath or your strangley morphed body? :D

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow synthese just sold me on that back construction. I had been really iffy about it but it looks great.

Are those seriously 18" shoulders? I know @Synthese has had 18.3-18.7 TOJ shoulder sizing but this actually looks wide on him.

Also, strange how there are no nipples for the snapdown collar.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow synthese just sold me on that back construction. I had been really iffy about it but it looks great.

Are those seriously 18" shoulders? I know @Synthese has had 18.3-18.7 TOJ shoulder sizing but this actually looks wide on him.

Also, strange how there are no nipples for the snapdown collar.
No, this is the jacket with the 20" shoulders. As you may have seen from his other fits, he has wide shoulders already. This is the reason that we are slimming down the shoulders. Slimming down the shoulders will give a better fit for all but the most yoked among us, and will result in a more "fashion" styled jacket, since the net effect will also be a slimmer back.

Re. length, 2 points. 1) Synth is tall - 6'1" or so, iirc, and also, jackets that have a bigger shoulder/wider back, will appear shorter in length, because of the proportions. But you definitely do not want a rider to look too much longer than that. The excess leather from the double breasted design tends to look sloppy if the jacket is overly long.

Last edited:

rbnman

Reaction score

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes...however, it will be an additional $60.00 USD + Customs fees + shipping back to us.  We do intl. fit jackets with our Aero jackets and it works quite well.  We send the finished, custom jacket as an exchange to avoid double Customs fees...

International fit jacket - imo, completely worth the additional cost.  It's $60 to ensure a jacket that actually fits you (you would pay the duties regardless).  I am in the States, but I would definitely not skimp on the extra money to get things dialed in.

I thought you couldn't ship Vanson fit jackets internationally?

While we send Aero jackets internationally for fitting, unfortunately we can't send Vanson internationally...

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Synth making sample jacket look damn good.

question for @Thurston Bros : are the shoulder gussets required?
i.e. can we order a jacket with no gussets without messing up the pattern?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For leather that is fairly thick, I would personally want the shoulder gussets just for ease of mobility, especially since we are tightening up the shoulders.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Synthese wearing the slim fit version? I'm a little confused.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For leather that is fairly thick,  I would personally want the shoulder gussets just for ease of mobility, especially since we are tightening up the shoulders.  

I know we're all in agreement that none of use are going to be riding motorcycles in this thing, but it should be noted that some of us are unlikely to even move.

Last edited:

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Absolutely...just order the jacket without shoulder gussets...

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow I was pretty set on the derby jacket but you probably changed my mind.

Why does synth make everything look so good.

If I did go for the derby would I be able to adjust the sleeve or shoulder ?

Yes...that's no problem....we would just need to get you the pricing...(it'll be a bit more expensive because of the pattern work involved)...

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

question for @Thurston Bros
 :  are the shoulder gussets required?

Seconding this question.. I'd prefer to have a bit cleaner look to the back at the price of being able to move my arms.

Also, these jackets will be available to order semi-indefinitely? I'd prefer to try on in Seattle, but not sure when I'll be back.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow that jacket looks great Synth. Slim the sleeves a touch and I'm sold.

Is there a summary post somewhere in this thread or would somebody mind giving the cliff notes real quickly??
....i dunno how i missed this thread for so long. Important info..... preorders - when/how/where? price? availability? sizing appears to be being tweaked still, correct? (i read back through the previous 10 pages or so)

We'll have this info. up soon...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics