• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I getting this right?

Daredevil in L has 19.5" shoulder to shoulder
SF jacket in L has 17.5" shoulder to shoulder

butbut.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The daredevil refers to the first iteration of the SF rider- with wide shoulders. The slim it daredevil refers to the narrower shoulders and shorter arms version coming.

Thurston mentioned the slimfit Daredevil in addition to the standard Daredevil - I assumed that was the "SF Rider," unless I'm terribly confused.

The above is correct.  I added notes to make things more clear. 

Personally, unless you *really* need a jacket ASAP, I would wait for the finished model.  I anticipate that it will, for most members, much better for street use.  @thekunk07
 is probably the exception.  That dude has ridiculously long arms on really wide shoulders.  i.e.  If Rick Owen's sleeves are "just right", then don't bother waiting.

Can we just not call the next iteration the daredevil? or at least have people aware that there is a DD and a slim fit DD thats where all the confusion is.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Am I getting this right?

Daredevil in L has 19.5" shoulder to shoulder
SF jacket in L has 17.5" shoulder to shoulder

:butbut:

i think it was in S, see below buddy

The Measurements on the Standard Size Small Daredevil are:

41.5" Chest (full circumference)
19" Shoulder
37" Waist
*This is the standard Junya sizing

The Slimfit Daredevil in Size Small will be the same, but with a Shoulder measurement of 17"

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we just not call the next iteration the daredevil? or at least have people aware that there is a DD and a slim fit DD thats where all the confusion is.
That would be even more confusing.

Look, I did not have any hand in the naming of the different models. I am just trying to help people out.

Here, lemme try again:
Derby = a standard jacket in the Vanson arsenal
Daredevil = the jacket based on the first prototype that we developed. It is the exact same fit as the Junya jacket. Available for preorder now.
Slimfit Daredevil = Final Styleforum "Japanese Slimfit Rider". Still in development. Final sample not yet made. @nicelynice , and @Distorbiant , you are both right about this one.

I personally think that the final jacket should just be referred to as the "Japanese Slimfit Rider", just like we originally proposed.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm talking about size L though not S.

my bad i don't remember that measurement being posted

Look, I did not have any hand in the naming of the different models.  I am just trying to help people out.  

Here, lemme try again:
Daredevil = the jacket based on the first prototype that we developed.  It is the exact same fit as the Junya jacket.  Available for preorder now.
Slimfit Daredevil = Final Styleforum "Japanese Slimfit Rider".  Still in development.  Final sample not yet made. @nicelynice
, and @Distorbiant
, you are both right about this one.

I personally think that the final jacket should just be referred to as the "Japanese Slimfit Rider", just like we originally proposed.  

+1 call it Japanese Slimfit Rider

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we just refer to it by this image?

And have it sewn into the jacket?

(thanks for clearing this up!! @Synthese HURRY UP AND POST FITPICS!!!)

Last edited:

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So will we be able to get a fit jacket shipped outside the USA or not?
Yes...however, it will be an additional $60.00 USD + Customs fees + shipping back to us. We do intl. fit jackets with our Aero jackets and it works quite well. We send the finished, custom jacket as an exchange to avoid double Customs fees...

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Look, I did not have any hand in the naming of the different models. I am just trying to help people out.

Here, lemme try again:
Daredevil = the jacket based on the first prototype that we developed. It is the exact same fit as the Junya jacket. Available for preorder now.
Slimfit Daredevil = Final Styleforum "Japanese Slimfit Rider". Still in development. Final sample not yet made. @nicelynice , and @Distorbiant , you are both right about this one.

my bad i don't remember that measurement being posted
+1 call it Japanese Slimfit Rider

Can we just refer to it by this image?

And have it sewn into the jacket?

(thanks for clearing this up!! @Synthese HURRY UP AND POST FITPICS!!!)

We have to name the jacket a name that's consistent with the style-cluster that we're dealing with. We're creating a range of slimfit Vanson designs that will be named Viper, Daredevil, Bullseye (we're still debating this name a bit), SheDevil, and Villainess.

burghler

Reaction score
I think we'll decrease the shoulder-to-shoulder by .75 inches or 1 inch. This will make the jacket considerable slimmer through the shoulders compared to the Junya and make it more of a fashion fit.
I think that the sleeves definitely need to be shortened. Maybe decrease the shoulder width just a little bit. I usually trust first impressions. If you felt that it would be good to take in the shoulders slightly, I would do that, but maybe by just .5".

In response to a question about the updated L shoulder measurement
It will be 18.75 inches.
So we went from that to this (which I forgot to quote):

"We're offering the standard fit right now....however, we're slimming the shoulder-to shoulder by 2 inches from the Junya fits...

What that means is that the shoulder-to-shoulder on the StyleForum.net fits will be

18.5" for size XL (46/48)
18" for size L (44)
17.5" for size M (40//42)
17" for size S (38)
16.5" for size XS (34/36)
16" for size XXS (32)"

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

"We're offering the standard fit right now....however, we're slimming the shoulder-to shoulder by 2 inches from the Junya fits...

What that means is that the shoulder-to-shoulder on the StyleForum.net fits will be

18" for size L (44)
17" for size S (38)
16" for size XXS (32)"

We took a good look at the shoulder-to-shoulder measurements of the Junya range and feel that a significantly slimmer upper back is the way to go...we're choosing an upper back profile that's consistent with really popular vintage jackets and awesome new fits, such as the Aero Board Racer. We went from 1" decrease to 2" decrease in the upper back after some good thought and deliberation...

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

18" for size L (44)
17" for size S (38)
16" for size XXS (32)"

IIRC the large Junya fit is 19.5" shoulder to shoulder, but Thurston says the SF Rider fit will be 18.75, but also says they're taking off 2" off the Junya, so I am really confused right now.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
IIRC the large Junya fit is 19.5" shoulder to shoulder, but Thurston says the SF Rider fit will be 18.75, but also says they're taking off 2" off the Junya, so I am really confused right now.

For size L, the Junya jackets are officially 20 inches in the upper shoulder. We're making the upper shoulder 18 inches for size L

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads