Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by LA Guy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

as someone who's owned the junya x vanson leathers, let me say that the junya leathers are cut waaaay tinier than the vanson leathers.

if you're going to add pockets to a stock vanson design, or even just slim the sleeves and body, you're really not going to get the desired effect.

the junya leathers had narrower lapels, tiny armholes, super narrow sleeves, short bodies; the design was not at all that of a that of a competition american moto jacket.

maybe some of you will be happy with this, maybe you won't.

the derby jacket above is really not similar to the junya jacket; the general style is the same, but the design is not.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Yeah I'd love a 1:1 copy proportion wise with a arm zipper movement to avoid an exact replica. I think we can safely say the people interested in this model won't be sliding their bikes in the jackets anytime soon... I will ride the shit out of my office chair in mine. Not terribly interested in a jacket equivalent of repro cut 26oz denim.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

3. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior member

I agree with cyc.

4. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member

This is correct...however, this is also the reason that these jackets fit very few... If @LA Guy is going to be available this week and early next week, we'll ship him a size Small Vanson VAJ-3 (photo below) for fitting (this is a fit that Japan really likes!). There's no sense in re-patterning if existing slimfit patterns will do the trick... Also, if we do need to slim Vanson's slimfit patterns down, we will. But we need to do it such that there is a broader range of sizing (fashion brands went max to size Large, which was the equivalent of size 40...we'd like it such that we can go up to size 44)...

[​IMG]

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah, agree with everyone above.

I may need to get a Junya version to work off of. Probably a large, possibly a medium, for my US small medium frame. You Japanese proxy guys help me out here.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

6. AeroleathersTB

We can't work off of the Junya patterns, as he may be ordering more...however, I don't think you're going to find this existing pattern too roomy...my guess is that you may find it too tight (that's been the consensus here at the shop...we'll see..)...also, we'll send you the jacket in Vanson's Italian Firenze leather so that you can speak to us about what leather the fashion community likes...

If you get a chance today, please send your mailing address to [email protected] and we'll get the jacket out to you!

7. AeroleathersTB

This was Vanson's Z150 leather, which we've always referred to as the thin comp. weight leather...

[​IMG]

8. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

is that equal to the firenze at 2.5 oz? or what is the weight on that z150 leather?

9. AeroleathersTB

It's right about 2.5 oz...

10. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

Thurston you guys got a chance to hit it out of the park here and possibility take sales from toj.

11. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior member

I think it'll be a big step forward for brands like Vanson and Aero if they're willing to adapt to more modern, slimmer models/cuts. With today's savvy consumers and freeflow of information, coupled with their experience and know-how in terms of leather quality and construction (and reasonable pricing), they can expand their niche and take market share from a lot of top tier designer brands.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Very few people are cross shopping Margiela/SLP/Balmain/Rick Owens and Vanson outside of fashion forums. Don't we feel special.

13. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

This. Same reason all the clothes in American malls are sized for chubby people. Hint: it's not because no one has thought of trying slim fit clothing.

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

15. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

The Junya Vansons are indeed slim as hell, I went and tried one on today because it's been awhile since I've seen one in the wild.. maybe slimmer than most people might even. I wear slim fashion jackets and I could have taken a little extra breathing room given the weight of the leather, was a bit uncomfortable. The cut is also nothing like any Vanson I've tried on before, either - a lot less "excess" leather, especially in the back and shoulders as well as a ton of waist supression, I don't even know how to articulate it. How much did Junya change for his jackets?

For comparison, here's a slim Vanson for the Japanese market vs. the Junya moto:

[​IMG] [​IMG]