1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by LA Guy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

[​IMG]

this is what the comp weight will look like broken in

5 people like this.
  2. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Thanks for the info. By sparkle, do you mean sheen or real sparkle?

3. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

How would you rank the leather quality of those four? And have you handled the Z150 leather also?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yes, more or less. Wear is always a collaboration between the wearer and the garment, but by and large, that is what Vanson comp weight leather looks like after significant wear.

One thing that I've never gotten is the idea of buying something with "resale value". Me, I always buy clothing new, and I never sell it if it's something that I've worn. I feel that once an owner has worn the garment for any appreciable amount of time, he has left an imprint on a garment, and the garment will alway carry the character of the wearer. I prefer my clothes to have my character, and I'm not sure that I want someone out there wearing something that is indelibly me.

1 person likes this.
  5. gong

gong Senior member

well, that's settled. i'm in.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I'd like something around that weight or just slightly heavier.

7. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member Affiliate Vendor

In the Japanese super slimfit, a L is size 40, a medium is size 38, a small is size 36, and an xs is size 34...

1 person likes this.
  8. AeroleathersTB

Yes...same thickness...

9. AeroleathersTB

The Z150 leather isn't quite the same as the comp. weight, but it looks like a "thinner comp. weight"...

10. AeroleathersTB

A dark navy is alway cool! @LA Guy has a dark navy in an Aero Fontana Racer. That dark navy is the same leather that Vanson uses... Also, the Vanson Octagon is cool...here's a photo of a cafe' racer in Octagon...

[​IMG]

11. AeroleathersTB

Veg.-tanned FQHH is on its way from Italy...if there is interest in veg.-tanned hides for Vanson slimfit styles, we should think about the Lochcarron Tweed Checks for liners...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. AeroleathersTB

Same price...once we have a prototype, it will be fine to specify it in comp. weight. I think that it would be a good idea for people not to rule out Vanson's Comp. Weight Leather for this jacket...just like Aero's CXL FQHH and Steerhide, there's good reason that it's so popular!

[​IMG]

However, Vanson's Z150 Leather looks good too...here is that leather with some wear...

[​IMG]

13. AeroleathersTB

Let's talk hardware after the prototype arrives. YKK, Lenzip, and Talon are the best bang for the buck...it always surprises us that there aren't more quality zipper options on the market...

1 person likes this.
  14. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

the comp leather is definitely very nice, but probably too heavy for most of us, the z150 sounds like a nice choice given it's the same smooth finish as the comp but also thinner and lighter. From what I see the firenze has more pronounced grain to it right? Any pictures of how the firenze ages? All the pics so far are of aged comp and z150 which I really liked with the smoother surface. Also are the leathers all dyed black through out? Some leathers show beige colours at the creases once it get really worn in, are there any leathers that will remain black even when it's really worn in?

15. AeroleathersTB

For a light, flexible leather, I would suggest the Z150 leather, which is what the Junya jackets were made of... It ages well and looks very nice!

For hardware, we're going with #10 Nickel main zipper and #5 Nickel sleeve gusset and pocket zippers...it will look good!

For fit, we're going with a super slimfit, which is what the inspiration for this project used...

Regarding design, once we have a prototype, variations on design will be possible, as long as they'll "work" and look good...

Regarding sizing, once we have the size grading done, people can request custom lengths. For example, I'm 6'1" and like my jackets a bit longer in the body and sleeves compared to someone who is my same size but 5'8". It's important that we get proper lengths on people...jackets don't look good unless we do this!

**Let's address the tag after we receive the prototype design...

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  16. AeroleathersTB

The Firenze is quite pebbled and grainy. I'm going to look for a photo of how it ages. We've always carried mostly Vanson's Comp. Weight Leather, so let me look around for an aged firenze photo...

All of these leathers are dyed all the way through...color loss / color fading won't be / isn't a problem on Vanson's standard leather offerings.. Color loss mainly occurs with Horween CXL hides and more expensive Veg.-Tanned leathers... On standard chrome-tanned leathers, color-fading / color loss isn't usually a problem...

1 person likes this.
  17. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I think I am in for the comp weight or maybe the horse if I have the cash...

@Thurston Bros thanks for all the good info

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Looks awesome, just sold me on comp weight

19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I imagine that most people here will not want the Firenze leather.

20. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

This looks awesome. Will wait to see a fit pic first I guess.