• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros Japanese slim fit Japanese moto jacket MTO

johanm

Reaction score

I agree with all of this...however, do we want the Super Japanese Slimfit of the DR or the slimfit of the Daytona? Here's a look at the standard slimfit...
Is there any way to get the "super slimfit" on sleeves, but just a moderately slim fit on the torso? Personally I feel like the main problem with standard Vanson patterns are the baggy sleeves.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there any way to get the "super slimfit" on sleeves, but just a moderately slim fit on the torso? Personally I feel like the main problem with standard Vanson patterns are the baggy sleeves.

It's usually a good idea to go with standard fit or slimfit. Remember that we always want to keep a jacket looking proportional; therefore, it's a good idea to keep the bicep and forearm circumferences in proportion to the trunk circumference... Does this make sense?

johanm

Reaction score

It's usually a good idea to go with standard fit or slimfit.  Remember that we always want to keep a jacket looking proportional; therefore, it's a good idea to keep the bicep and forearm circumferences in proportion to the trunk circumference...  Does this make sense?

I understand the argument, but I disagree - don't think Vanson's standard patterns are very attractive, don't really like baggy arms or sausage-casing tightness in the torso. If it's not possible to get a combo of slim arms and trim but not tight torso, no worries, will just continue to enjoy my TOJs.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I understand the argument, but I disagree - don't think Vanson's standard patterns are very attractive, don't really like baggy arms or sausage-casing tightness in the torso. If it's not possible to get a combo of slim arms and trim but not tight torso, no worries, will just continue to enjoy my TOJs.

The body and sleeve combo that you'd like would be models such as the Tight Fit Model B, Tight Fit Enfield, Tight Fit Model C, VAJ-3, Daytona, etc. I've attached a photo of the slimfit Daytona below...you can order these jackets with any modifications that you'd like...just give us a call...

www.thurston-bros.com

www.insurrectionperformance.com

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The body and sleeve combo that you'd like would be models such as the Tight Fit Model B, Tight Fit Enfield, Tight Fit Model C, VAJ-3, Daytona, etc. I've attached a photo of the slimfit Daytona below...you can order these jackets with any modifications that you'd like...just give us a call...
That jacket is pretty cool. If you angle the zips a bit different, remove the white stripes and all vanson logos then you have that Junya moto. I assume the zipper can be extended as well so it doesn't have that break in the bottom area.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That jacket is pretty cool. If you angle the zips a bit different, remove the white stripes and all vanson logos then you have that Junya moto. I assume the zipper can be extended as well so it doesn't have that break in the bottom area.

Yes, this was the base of that style....

Vordhosbn1

Reaction score
Regards the inside, I think having a thicker strip of leather along the hem would work - allowing the stitching to sit closer to the hem creating a cleaner line. Something like below left.
Is the general preference for a snap back collar? I consider that the better option and part of the appeal for this design - Essentially a modern take on the classic Brimaco.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Regards the inside, I think having a thicker strip of leather along the hem would work - allowing the stitching to sit closer to the hem creating a cleaner line. Something like below left.
Is the general preference for a snap back collar? I consider that the better option and part of the appeal for this design - Essentially a modern take on the classic Brimaco.

All Vanson jackets currently have a leather strip on the inside, bottom hem. We do have a group who is doing Brimaco Four-Pocket remakes in comp. weight leather....we'll put a photo up when those come through...they should be quite nice!

Last edited:

leipergrey

Reaction score
I'd be interested in this if I like the design and if the sizing is right for me.

Tuma

Reaction score
Thanks Disto!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads