• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model A vs. Schott 641HH

FrancoInDc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide between the two; they are about the same price. I'd appreciate any opinions, especially from those who have first hand experience with either or both of these jackets. I'm leaning towards the Schott because the detailing seems slightly better and it's horsehide (the Vanson is cowhide), although they might have done better with brass instead of silver zippers.

It's hard to get a feel for them based on the pics alone. Thanks in advance.

Schott:

http://www.schottnyc.com/motorcycle-..._horsehide.htm

Vanson:

http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ar_model_a.htm

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
If you're spending that much: buy both, try on, return one. They're both very nice riding jackets, but if you're concerned about hardware metals and not skin-replacement surgery, don't get either. They're too stiff to wear out-and-about until they're broken in.

Shark

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Schott jacket so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I recently purchased the Vanson Model A for the upcoming riding season, and as a jacket for casual wear. I considered lots and lots of other rider's jackets before pulling the trigger on this one -- I couldn't be happier with it.

The horsehide vs. cowhide explains the ~$100 price difference between the two. Although, given that the Vanson is top-grain cowhide, the difference isn't very substantial. From what I've read on various boards and heard from talking to the Vanson retailer I purchased mine from, these jackets stand up extremely well to rain, are built to last decades and will retain their shape even after years of wear. Although, as the poster above me mentioned, they arrive extremely stiff so they'll take years to break in and soften.

If you're looking for a dual purpose leather jacket -- to be worn as protective gear while riding and to look good in when not -- either jacket is a smart buy. The only differences besides the horsehide/cowhide and hardware ones that I can discern are (1) the collar button-snaps are a tad different between the two and (2) the side pockets on the Vanson are diagonal whereas the ones on the Schott are vertical.

If you don't plan on riding in either jacket, I'd sincerely ask you reconsider your options.

And here are a few crappy photos showing the fit on the Model A:
VansonLeather3copy.jpg

VansonLeathercopy.jpg

VansonLeather2copy.jpg

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shark
I don't have any experience with the Schott jacket so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I recently purchased the Vanson Model A for the upcoming riding season, and as a jacket for casual wear. I considered lots and lots of other rider's jackets before pulling the trigger on this one -- I couldn't be happier with it.

The horsehide vs. cowhide explains the ~$100 price difference between the two. Although, given that the Vanson is top-grain cowhide, the difference isn't very substantial. From what I've read on various boards and heard from talking to the Vanson retailer I purchased mine from, these jackets stand up extremely well to rain, are built to last decades and will retain their shape even after years of wear. Although, as the poster above me mentioned, they arrive extremely stiff so they'll take years to break in and soften.

If you're looking for a dual purpose leather jacket -- to be worn as protective gear while riding and to look good in when not -- either jacket is a smart buy. The only differences besides the horsehide/cowhide and hardware ones that I can discern are (1) the collar button-snaps are a tad different between the two and (2) the side pockets on the Vanson are diagonal whereas the ones on the Schott are vertical.

If you don't plan on riding in either jacket, I'd sincerely ask you reconsider your options.

+1

I'll add that the horsehide is slightly stiffer than the Vanson cowhide. I looked at both the Vanson (model A or B) and the Schott 141 and I got the Schott because it was more accessible to me where I live. Both are great jackets, especially for riding. They'll last forever.

If you wear it to ride AND wear it casually, you just have to remember to clean the bugs off before you go out.
blush.gif

FrancoInDc

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I actually have a couple Ducati/Dainese armored jackets for most riding purposes, but I would probably use something like this occasionally.

Shark, your jacket looks fantastic. I do think that brass hardware looks better than the silver, at least in the pics. If I may ask, how tall are you and what size is your jacket?

I'm wondering if the horsehide justifies the $70 premium (including shipping) over the Vanson. Supposedly horsehide has a richer shine and develops a superior patina over time.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have the Vanson AZ in the heaviest weight leather (steer/cow hide). I ride in it a lot and it's pretty well broken in at this point. I would not suggest the heavy weight leather for wearing casually - it is extremely heavy. Not just stiff, but really, really thick. Also, it isn't a great jacket for riding in a sporty position, as the cut is quite long in the front and it will poke you in the junk and/or bunch up in your front. For an upright position it is fine, and it's great in all conditions except extreme heat.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd consider the brown horsehide Schott or an Aero horsehide. I'd rather have a little bit thinner horsehide jacket that I could wear more casually (I'd also get it with armor pockets). The Vanson is just too thick and has no armor pockets. However, they do have a thinner weight than the one I got, so you might look into that. Keep in mind, any of these is pretty much indestructible, so it's worth paying a couple hundred dollars more for something you really like. Over the length of time you'll have it and the amount of wear it will get, it is money well spent.

Shark

Reaction score
I'm 5'10" and the Vanson is a size 40.

MrMojo

Reaction score
Hi,

the last jacket I bought is The Schott Racer 689 HH.
Its made of horsehide just like the Racer 641 HH, has a shirtcollar and brassware.
I would choose the Schottjacket instead of the Vanson.
Horsehide is more comfortable to wear in warm weather, but also a bit colder in winter. In the winters of Germany/Bavaria you cant wear anyway a leatherjacket for riding.
Its more shiny than cowhide and very stiff to wear.
For the leather and the seams its important to give it a good rub first.
Just get a can of "Effax" a leatherconditioner from Switzerland (you can buy it at eBay).
Its very easy to use. You never know how old the jacket is, even when its new.
Its important for the stitching and the leather.
At first you will feel like King Arthur in his armor, but once the jacket is broken in, its worth it. When you wear it everyday this could take several weeks, til you feel comfortable.
If you have decide between cowhide and horsehide, I would always choose horsehide.
Deciding between two horsehides, one from Schott and one from Vanson, its hard.
Best is to try them on. which fits your body better.
Im 6 ft. tall, 170 pds. , athletic and a size 42 from Schott fits perfect.
If youre not sure, call Mrs.Gail at Schottnyc.com , she makes a good job finding the right size for you.
Hope my english is ok so far.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shark

And here are a few crappy photos showing the fit on the Model A:
VansonLeather3copy.jpg

VansonLeathercopy.jpg

VansonLeather2copy.jpg

Nice jacket. I've got a Vanson Comet with silver hardware and the brass on yours looks so much better.

pk977

Reaction score
I'm 5'8" request Vanson is a size 40.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics