Vans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tljenkin, Feb 14, 2007.

1. tljenkin

tljenkin Senior member

I'm getting my first pair of Vans (shocking, I know), and was wondering which style and color would look best with my raw denim. I also live in a hot environimnet, if that helps at all.

2. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

I used to wear Vans a lot. Now all I have are simple black-on-black slip-ons, and I think they look pretty nice with raw denim, if "sleek and understated" is what you're looking for.

What kind of jeans do you have and how do you wear them?

3. tljenkin

tljenkin Senior member

I would love to find some black on black slip ons and I am absolutely going for sleek and understated. i have a pair of SDA 103's and they are a little slim with a slight taper that I wear right on the hips. I'm also quite tall. Where could I find these black on black slip ons?

4. evilgeniusdan

evilgeniusdan Senior member

Nothing wrong with white slips. I actually wear these most of the time. Some might not like the blue with blue denim though. You can get your black on black here. Styleforum also has an affiliate link for zappos, so use that if you buy from there.

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I have no desire to ever own a pair of vans, but I think you should go with white ones. They'll look sweet with denim stains.

6. tljenkin

tljenkin Senior member

What would you recommend instead?

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

get some all white Sk8hi

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I've owned almost nothing but them for sneakers. I personally recommend the Old Skool laced ones. You may want some sort of arch support insert though... they're padded only a little more than All Star Chuck Taylor sneakers.

9. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

I'm no so into Vans but if I was to buy a pair I'd grab an Old Skool. Slip ons look funny to me.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

It's so bizarre how popular vans have gotten. Ever since I was a kid I've despised skate hi's and termed them the most heinous shoes ever. Now cats go APESHIT over the most horrid looking versions especially the hosois I think they're called and the marc jacobs green atrocities. Always liked the slip ons though but they've gotten even more trendy than chucks. Time to pack them up for awhile until the bandwagon empties out. Fuckin sheep.

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Chucks have always been popular, but I do see what you mean. I'm one of maybe ten people here who wear the laced Old Skool rather than the slip-on.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

Chucks are pure west coast cali shit like vans. I've started busting them out again since the new vans explosion. Props if you've worn them for years.

13. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

Chuck's are west coast? I've loved Chuck's for so long, despite their popularity. I just love the style and colorways.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

I'm saying chucks are a west coast thing. They've been popular here for as long as I can remember and I'm an old fuck. People in the east never understood them though some cats have rocked them for a long time, props to them. I actually used to hate them b/c of all the goth fuckers in school when I was a kid. They used to write on them and wrap the laces around their ankles.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I've worn out over 50+ pairs of Chucks in all the 20 odd years that I've worn them, so thanks for the props Jet. And yes, they are a Cali thing, sort of like Tims are an East Coast thing, although they didn't originate there. Vans roots, however, are solidly west coast.

Dre, in the immortal "California Love" even mentions them:

"...In L.A. we wearin Chucks not Ballies (that's right)..."