• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanity sizes issue

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Ok I just found out this existed...apologizes for my ignorance, but maybe someone can assist in shedding some light on this for me. I've searched around the threads and I've been reading up on it but still a little confused.

I finally decided to measure my waist after the inability to find the right belt, and I'm a 33.5(34 probably) and this is at my highest weight (hopefully drop some weight over the spring/summer)

I mostly wear chinos/khakis, Jeans and casual pants during the week. The pants have always been 31 in the waist and jeans have been 30, both have fit me comfortably, not tight.

So I measured the waist of varies pants...and its crazy! My BR slim pants are around 33 and vintage straight are 35. My Jeans are really 33...I assume with the slight stretch I've been able to get away with it.

Well, I wanted to know if there is a chart for brand vanity sizes? I'm scared to order anything online now.

Also, are belts vanity sizing? I have an AE belt 34' thats a bit tight and a 36 thats almost at the last hole in. Any way to handle this situation? I kept ordering 34' waist belts, thinking i was a 31...and wondering why they never lined up with the middle hole. smh

The moment you realize your not that slim 31 waisted fellow....:embar:

Happy hump day!

Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
Afaik vanity sizes are arbitrary and vary from brand to brand. Belt sizes are usually a size or two larger than your waist size - for example I wear size 37-38 belts despite wearing jeans that are size 33 or 34.

Are vanity sizes for menswear a US thing? Because I don't remember ever buying anything but true to size for pants in Europe.

Jkhan82

Reaction score

Are vanity sizes for menswear a US thing? Because I don't remember ever buying anything but true to size for pants in Europe.

According to some more research I've been checking out. Zara seems to be true to size...explains why when I tried on their 31 pants, I couldn't even close the buttons...lol I thought they purposely made extra slims when in reality they made true 31...

Maybe American's are becoming so over-weight we need to be lied to... lol

Last edited:

flambard

Reaction score
Less than six months ago I was in Japan. Bought a shirt at Uniglo, size Medium.

Here in the states I bought the same shirt at a Uniglo store. Size Medium - it is way too large. Neck too large, sleeves too long, body too much room. A fluke? Perhaps not. During the store visit I also bought a Medium 'Slim Fit' shirt. The 'Slim Fit' shirt is also too large. I will have to bring the two shirts back to the store and exchange for Small.

Uniglo advanced planning, purchasing and merchandising has got Americans figured out as fat and vain. Bummer!

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of striped Diesel jeans today. Waist size on label says 33 but in reality the waist measures to be 38. (My actual waist is 37.)

That's a ******* difference of 5 ******* inches. ******* Christ!

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
Its not just the USA as it happens in the UK too, though its less common in menswear than it is in womens. It does appear to go beyond simply a brand decision as there is often inconsistency within a brand given the other day I bought one pair of 36 trousers that were comfortable but a size 38 in another style from the same company were too tight.

Some multibrand retailer do state if the sizes are generous or not compared to true which can be helpful.

Certainly in Europe we also benefit from the automatic right to return goods for a full refund if bought online (and not from eBay) so the only cost your are risking is that of postage.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Less than six months ago I was in Japan. Bought a shirt at Uniglo, size Medium.

Here in the states I bought the same shirt at a Uniglo store. Size Medium - it is way too large. Neck too large, sleeves too long, body too much room. A fluke? Perhaps not. During the store visit I also bought a Medium 'Slim Fit' shirt. The 'Slim Fit' shirt is also too large. I will have to bring the two shirts back to the store and exchange for Small.

Uniglo advanced planning, purchasing and merchandising has got Americans figured out as fat and vain. Bummer!

Well, someone else bumped this,so I'll respond. What you described is not vanity sizing, it's physical differences in stature. Japanese people are smaller, generally, than Westerners, so the scale is different. Typically a medium in the States will be an XL in Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads