• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanity plates

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you think they are tacky? I think the really boastful ones like I RULE, QUEEN, HOTTIE, etc. are.

My next car, I will get a vanity plate that says 1CHINA. It's rather subtle as few are familiar with the One China policy; most would just assume that I am pro-China.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assorgy.jpg

Hanseat

Reaction score
I've seen a '11SEPT' on a Prius in SF last summer.

Otherwise I think one has to be careful for them not to come off as tacky.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ahh wang. king of the three inch license plate

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always tacky. So tacky.

King Salmon

Reaction score
131_3158a.jpg

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Do you think they are tacky? I think the really boastful ones like I RULE, QUEEN, HOTTIE, etc. are.

It must be something about black cars at the Lotus dealership.

The shuttle wasn't available and La Jolla Taxi told me it would be an hour until they could get a cab to me. So, I bribed the lot boy to give me a ride the three miles to my office. When he pulled up to the waiting area and pushed open his car's passenger door, I just hopped in and sat back. As soon as we pulled onto the road, catcalls and horn honking from other cars began. Five minutes later when he dropped me off, I watched him pull away. His black Chevelle was outfitted with chrome wheels, wide white wall tires, big Playboy Bunny insignias in the back window, and. . . the license plate said: BLK-BTCH.

An insurance broker who was also a client at the Lotus dealership regularly prospected me. I eventually gave him an opportunity to provide a plan and quote. For his proposal, he took me to lunch in a black Lotus Esprit.
00a9.png
jà vu
set in immediately. Horn honking and derisive catcalls began. He blamed the situation on the personalized license plate on the Esprit. Originally, he bought the car for his wife and she ordered the plate. She didn't like the car. So, her husband drove it. The plate said: FOXY ME.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them when they are clever and inspired. I think they are lame when they are lame. When mine comes in I'll tell you and you can judge.

The best one I ever saw was on a late '80s Vette (yes I know it's not the prettiest car). It was being driven by a rather statuesque blonde with long hair that was, at the time, flying in the slipstream and looking very, very good. The license plate: STUNNING.

Was she ever.

Regards,
Huntsman

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The best one I ever saw was on a 90s 300ZX TT with extreme modifications that read "H8SR520" - S.R. (State Route) 520 is the highway that runs from Seattle to Redmond and is notorious for horrendous traffic at certain times and places. With a car like that, stop-and-go traffic would be absolute torture.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Driving home from work tonight.... PEPSI4J

i guess j really likes pepsi.
dozingoff.gif

King Salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
The license plate: STUNNING.
What state permits eight characters on the plate?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A6MTYPE0 on a Mitsubishi.

Best. Vanity. Plate. Ever.

ATM

Reaction score
I once saw a Cadillac with the plate WIGGERS. I assumed it was the surname of the elderly people in the car.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
A6MTYPE0 on a Mitsubishi.

Sorry, but I can't figure this one out. What does it say?

I have plates that read DR BOB. As a friend said to me: "Kinda arrogant, kinda funny. Like you."

bob

PITAronin

Reaction score
One of my favorites in the "Now what did he mean by that" category of vanity plates hangs in a bar on Ocracoke Island (North Carolina Outer Banks) and reads "LVDWIF" "Love da wife" or "Leave da wife"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads