• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanity Fair's Best Dressed List 2008

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand this is a yearly thread here, some known & some lesser known makers here. All together quite an eclectic group of people i must say. Full slideshow: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/feat...de=1#globalNav For those that dont want pictures ... MICHELLE OBAMA Because she’s our commander in sheath. Residence: Chicago. Occupation: Vice president for community and external affairs, University of Chicago Hospitals, on leave. Age: 44. Notable ensembles of 2008: Maria Pinto purple sheath, with a black Azzedine Alaïa belt, worn when her husband claimed the Democratic presidential nomination; Donna Ricco black-and-white print dress on The View. Causes: “Youth leadership programs, education, talking with women about work/family life balance.” By Marcel Thomas/FilmMagic. CARLA BRUNI-SARKOZY Because we like her French twist. Residence: ÉlysÃ
00a9.png
e Palace, Paris. Occupations: Model, singer, and First Lady of France. Age: 40. Notable 2008 ensembles: Dior wardrobe for a state visit to London; Hermès Collection by Jean Paul Gaultier wedding dress. Jewelry: A pink-diamond engagement ring designed by Victoire de Castellane, creative director of Dior Fine Jewelry. Signature wardrobe item: Flat shoes. Causes: The White Ribbon Alliance, and amfAR. By Mark Stewart/Camera Press/Retna Ltd. KATE MIDDLETON Because we’re throwing her hats in the ring. Residence: London. Age: 26. Significant other: H.R.H. Prince William. Signature look: Tailored jackets, boots, and Philip Treacy hats. Frequented boutiques: Ralph Lauren and Topshop. Sunglasses: Chanel. Notable 2008 ensemble: Black suit and Philip Treacy hat worn to the Order of the Garter service. From Rex Features. SARAH JESSICA PARKER Because she made Blahnik iconic. Residence: New York City. Occupations: Actor, producer, entrepreneur. Age: 43. Trademark scents: Lovely and Covet. Signature clothing line: Bitten. Notable red-carpet ensemble of 2008: Alexander McQueen green tea-length dress and black stilettos, and Philip Treacy floral hat, worn to the Sex and the City premiere in London. Causes: unicef, and the Fund for Public Schools. By Jimi Celeste/PatrickMcMullan.com. DIANA TAYLOR Because her aim is true. Residence: New York City. Occupations: Managing director, Wolfensohn & Co.; chairperson of the Hudson River Park Trust. Age: 53. Significant other: New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg. Style icon: Audrey Hepburn. Jewelry: “My grandmother’s engagement ring.” Preferred designers: Ralph Lauren, Carolina Herrera, Ralph Rucci, and Giorgio Armani. Notable 2008 red-carpet ensemble: Deep-purple Ralph Lauren fishtail gown worn to the C.F.D.A. Awards. Causes: Women’s health and welfare. By Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com. JULIA KOCH Because Koch is the real thing. Residence: New York City. Occupation: Mother of three. Age: 46. Personal style: “Simple during the day, but I love to get dressed up when I go out at night with my husband.” Style icons: Betsy Kaiser and Babe Paley. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “Yves Saint Laurent trench coat with leopard lining.” Fashion item she cannot live without: “A new crisp white Carolina Herrera shirt.” Handbag: VBH clutch. Scent: “Anything from Guerlain with roses in it.” Watch: Roger Dubuis. Cause: The Food Allergy Initiative. Here, with husband David. By Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. TILDA SWINTON Because she’s a great Scot. Residence: The Highlands of Scotland. Occupation: Actor. Age: 47. Style icon: “My beloved grandmother.” Favorite fashion purchases of 2008: “Lanvin pajamas and Rue du Mail ‘Fassbinder’ trench.” Luxury boutique: Liwan on Rue Saint-Sulpice in Paris. Favorite jewelry: “Diana Vreeland’s coral star, which I wore to the Costume Institute ball.” Shoe designer: Bruno Frisoni for Roger Vivier. Vintage store: The Highland Hospice Charity Shop in Nairn. Scent: Penhaligon’s Bluebell. Watch: Gold Damiani. Cause: “The 8 and a Half Foundation, founded this year with Mark Cousins, to bring great world cinema to children on their eight-and-a-halfth birthdays.” By Chance Yeh/PatrickMcMullan.com. H.R.H. CROWN PRINCESS MATHILDE OF BELGIUM Because she’s the jewel in the crown. Residence: The Royal Castle of Laeken, Brussels. Age: 35. Signature look: Tailored dresses and suits, suitable for state occasions. Notable 2008 ensemble: Ivory silk shift with a lace overlay, worn for the baptism of her fourth child, Princess Eleonore of Belgium. Causes: U.N. aids, and unicef. By Albert Nieboer/dpa/Landov. EVELYN LAUDER Because she’s nailed polish. Residence: New York City. Occupations: Cosmetics executive, photographer, philanthropist. Age: “Of a certain …” Style icon: Amy Fine Collins. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “Roberto Cavalli cotton blouse with gorgeous print to wear with white pants and heels or flat sandals.” Fashion items she cannot live without: “Manolo Blahnik shoes and Hermès handbags.” Jewelry: “My wedding ring and all my 1930s bracelets.” Scents: EstÃ
00a9.png
e Lauder Beautiful and Pleasures. Cause: The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. By Joe Corrigan/PatrickMcMullan.com. ZAC GOLDSMITH Because he’s solid Goldsmith. Residences: London and Devon, U.K. Occupations: Director, The Ecologist magazine, and environmental-policy adviser to Britain’s Conservative Party. Age: 33. Signature look: Blazer with light-colored shirt and unbuttoned collar. Causes: Environment, conservation. Here, with wife Sheherazade. By Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com. DANIEL CRAIG Because nobody does it better. Residence: London. Occupation: Actor. Age: 40. Notable red-carpet ensemble of 2008: Tom Ford black bespoke suit worn to Flashbacks of a Fool premiere in London. Watch: Omega. Causes: The Dorset Wildlife Trust, and Barnardo’s children’s charity. By Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com. MATT LAUER Because he is an NBC peacock. Residence: New York City. Occupation: Today show co-anchor. Age: 50. Personal style: “Traditional and understated. I avoid clothes that announce your presence in a room five minutes before you get there.” Style icon: “I really don’t have one, but if pressed, who really wouldn’t want to take after Sean Connery in classic 007?” Favorite tailor: “Almost all of my suits are made by Ermenegildo Zegna, but when I’m not working, you’ll find me in Cucinelli and Levi’s.” Most frequently worn item: “A lightweight cashmere navy blazer.” Cause: Hospice care. By Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com. DAVID BECKHAM Because he’s ab fab. Residence: Los Angeles. Occupation: Midfielder, Los Angeles Galaxy. Age: 33. Style icon: Steve McQueen. Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “There is still time in 2008, so ask me next year.” Tailor: Armani. Most frequently worn items: “Due to the L.A. weather, it has to be a simple pair of shorts and top, at the moment.” Favorite sunglasses: “My wife’s range of dVb aviators.” Causes: “Victoria and I have the David and Victoria Beckham Children’s Charity, about which I am very passionate. I am also a goodwill ambassador for unicef.” Here, with wife Victoria. By Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. LAPO ELKANN Because he’s the Lapo of luxury. Residences: Turin, New York City, and Shanghai. Occupations: Entrepreneur, founder of Italia Independent and Independent Ideas, and international ambassador for Italy’s Museo del Design (Triennale). Age: 30. Personal style: “Always be yourself.” Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: Borsalino Cotton Club vintage hat. Most frequently worn items: “A solaro jacket from Ferdinando Caraceni and a blue pin-striped suit by Huntsman.” Causes: Italy and Israel. From Matt Carasella/PatrickMcMullan.com. H.S.H. PRINCE HEINRICH VON UND ZU FÃœRSTENBERG Because we like Heinrich’s maneuvers. Residence: Schloss Donaueschingen, near the Black Forest, in Germany. Occupation: Entrepreneur. Age: 58. Personal style: “Very personal, timeless.” Style icon: Gianni Agnelli. Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “A Panama hat from Ecuador.” Tailors: “Loro Piana for leisure, and Mr. Schweda—my personal tailor.” Cause: Knights of Malta. COUNT MANFREDI DELLA GHERARDESCA Because style still counts. Residence: London. Occupations: Art adviser and curator. Age: 47. Personal style: “Very classical with infinite twists. Quality a must, variety essential. Investment-banker-meets-vintage-rock-’n’-roll, but never forget your age.” Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “A batik-inspired-print J. Crew casual jacket.” Causes: National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in England, and the Medici Archive Project in Florence. By Dominic O’Neill. KANYE WEST Because, yes, he Kanye. Residence: SoHo, New York City. Occupation: “Ripping stages apart!” Age: 31. Personal style: “I like to have fun and push the boundaries of what everyday outfits should look like.” Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “A special-order red Epi leather Christopher backpack from Louis Vuitton.” Most frequently worn item: “My bape camo boxers.” Dress up or dress down: “It’s way harder to dress down than to dress up. Casual is the true test of an outfit master. Old men dress the best. They’ll just be sitting in the park with a Missoni sweater, some tonal khakis, and some New Balance sneakers, and you’re like, Damn, that outfit is perfect.” Sunglasses: “L.V. Millionaires. The best of this century so far.” Watch: Casio G-Shock. Cause: Education—the Dr. Donda West Foundation. By Andreas Branch/PatrickMcMullan.com. MORLEY SAFER Because he always plays it Safer. Residences: New York City and Connecticut. Occupations: “Hanging on for dear life,” 60 Minutes. Age: “Uncertain.” Personal style: “Calculated disheveled.” Style icon: Groucho Marx. Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “Polka-dot cravat.” Most frequently worn item: “Black silk opera cloak, circa 1890.” Cuff links or buttons: Snaps. Sunglasses: Monocle. Watch: Swatch. Cause: “Abolition of all anti-smoking laws.” By Joe Corrigan/PatrickMcMullan.com. BRYAN LOURD Because he is the Lourd of the manner. Residences: Los Angeles and New York City. Occupation: Managing partner, Creative Artists Agency. Age: 47. Most frequently worn item: “Twenty-year-old Hermès blazer.” Cuff links or buttons: Buttons. Tailor: “Mario.” Shirtmaker: “Tom.” Cause: Human Rights Campaign. Here, with Ellen Barkin. By Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. SISTERS ALEXANDRA KOTUR and FIONA KOTUR MARIN Because they’re Koturs de force. Alexandra’s residence: New York City. Occupation: Style director, Vogue. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “Barbara Tfank’s dolman-sleeve orchid dress, fall 2008.” Watch: “My father’s Tiffany tank watch, from the late 60s.” Fiona’s residence: Hong Kong. Occupation: Handbag designer. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: Iradj Moini necklace. Their cause: New York Presbyterian Hospital Leukemia Fighters Fund. Both by Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. BROTHERS RAFAEL, THE DUKE OF FERIA, and DON LUIS MEDINA Because they’re Spanish fly. Residence: Madrid. Rafael’s occupation: “Founder and co-owner of Scalpers, a men’s-fashion line started up in Spain in 2007.” Age: 29. Style icon: Oscar de la Renta. Tailor: Tom Ford. Shirtmaker: Derby Gardeazabal, in Bilbao, Spain. Shoe designer: Berluti. Sunglasses: Persol 714. Watch: Montblanc Star Nicolas Rieussec. Cause: Hermanas de la Cruz, in Seville. Luis’s occupation: Director of Showme. Age: 27. Style icon: Gianni Agnelli. Tailor: Cesare Attolini. Shirtmaker: Luigi Borrelli. Shoe designer: John Lobb. Sunglasses: Italia Independent. Watch: Rolex Daytona. Cause: World peace. By Mario Sierra. BROTHERS ANDREA and PIETRO CLEMENTE Because they’re the crème de Clemente. Residences: New York, Los Angeles, and the Amalfi coast. Ages: 20. Occupations: Students. Andrea’s personal style: “Simple, classic, and comfortable.” Style icon: “My father, Francesco Clemente.” Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “Ten pair of pink socks from a small store in Rome that sells socks to the Vatican’s cardinals, and a cashmere hat by Elder Statesman.” Pietro’s personal style: “Simple and clean.” Style icon: Fran Lebowitz. Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “Six Osklen bathing suits I bought in Brazil.” Shoe designer: “Any shoe that can be found at Battistoni, in Rome.” Their cause: The International Rescue Committee. By Luisa Moraes. IRIS APFEL Because she’s the Apfel of our eye. Residence: Palm Beach. Occupations: “Geriatric starlet and founder of Old World Weavers.” Age: 86. Current projects: Advertising model for Coach handbags; “Iris Apfel: Rare Bird of Fashion” on view now at the Nassau County Museum of Art, in Roslyn Harbor on Long Island. Fashion item she cannot live without: “Do you have a favorite child?” Favorite jewelry: “Black leather, braided necklace with a silver-and-turquoise Navajo charm.” Favorite handbag: “A $5 denim handbag I bought from a flea market in Amish country.” Causes: Visual health, the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, and Lighthouse International. Here, with husband Carl. By Joe Schildhorn/PatrickMcMullan.com. KARL LAGERFELD Because the Kaiser is wiser. Residences: Monte Carlo, Paris, Rome, and New York City. Occupation: “Many; I am very busy.” Age: “Ageless.” Personal style: “It is a visual style: sharp, black-and-white.” Style icon: Beau Brummell. Favorite clothing purchases of 2008: “Suits, tons of suits, at Tom Ford’s shop in New York.” Most frequently worn item: “A pair of old Dior jeans.” Shirtmaker: “Hilditch & Key, since I was 16.” Favorite shoes: Massaro. Sunglasses: By Karl Lagerfeld. Watch: “A unique—in fact, there are two existing—black Audemars Piguet, 1974.” Cause: “Myself.” By Karl Prouse/Catwalking/Getty Images. JULIAN SCHNABEL Because he’s the cat’s pajamas. Residence: New York City. Occupations: Painter, sculptor, and filmmaker. Age: 56. Personal style: “Comfortable.” Favorite shoes: Vans. Glasses: A.R. Trapp, black frames with yellow lenses. Signature look: Dark-purple pajamas with white piping, designed by his wife, Olatz, typically cinched with an overcoat or a multicolored scarf. Cause: “Peace between Israel and Palestine.” By Ben Gabbe/PatrickMcMullan.com. SYDNEY and CHARLES FINCH Because they’re birds of a feather. Residence: London. Sydney’s occupation: Fashion consultant. Age: 39. Personal style: “Discreet, classic, with a dash of Bondi Beach bohemian.” Handbag: Crocodile Prada, made-to-order. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “Vintage gold-link bracelet from Harry Fane, London.” Cause: “Keeping my husband’s weight down.” Charles’s occupation: C.E.O., Finch & Partners. Age: 45. Personal style: “Faded glory.” Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: White tie by Anderson & Sheppard. Causes: Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, and saving the polar bear. By Dave M. Benett/Getty Images. BRAD PITT and ANGELINA JOLIE Because it’s all in the family. Residences: Malibu and Aix-en-Provence, France. Brad’s occupation: Actor. Age: 44. Tailor: Tom Ford. Watch: Tag Heuer. Notable 2008 red-carpet ensemble: Tom Ford tuxedo with vest but no tie to the sag Awards. Causes: Jolie-Pitt Foundation, Not on Our Watch, Global Action for Children. Angelina’s occupations: Actor and U.N. goodwill ambassador. Age: 33. Notable red-carpet ensemble of 2008: Olive-green Max Azria Atelier gown with Bulgari jewelry, worn to the Kung Fu Panda premiere. Notable jewelry of 2008: A gold machine-gun necklace designed by her son Maddox. Causes: Jolie-Pitt Foundation, the office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, the YÃ
00a9.png
le Haiti Foundation. By Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images. KELLY LYNCH and MITCH GLAZER Because they’re the toast of the West Coast. Residences: Los Feliz and Lone Pine, California. Kelly’s occupation: Actor. Age: 49. Personal style: “Preppy bohemian.” Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “Huge turquoise Navajo cuff bracelet.” Handbag: Black Hermès Birkin. Watch: Hermès Cape Cod. Kelly’s cause: Architectural preservation. Mitch’s occupation: Screenwriter and producer. Age: 55. Personal style: “I’m a mocker (mod and a rocker).” Style icon: “Alain Delon in Le Samouraï.Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “Black velvet Yves Saint Laurent blazer, circa 1975.” Most frequently worn item: “A vintage Navajo turquoise-inlay belt.” Mitch’s cause: The Zelda Glazer Writing Institute, in Miami. By Alberto E. Rodriguez/WireImage.com. CHRISTY TURLINGTON BURNS Because she put the chic in sirshasana. Residence: New York City. Occupations: Model, designer, activist, mother. Age: 39. Personal style: “Pretty classic, not too daring, but not overly traditional either.” Style icon: Audrey Hepburn. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: Louis Vuitton Monogram Jokes bag. Cause: “Maternal health, for which I am an advocate on behalf of the humanitarian organization Care.” By Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. CARINE ROITFELD Because she’s the rogue editor in chief. Residence: Paris. Occupation: Editor in chief, French Vogue. Personal style: “Chic with an edge.” Style icon: Christopher Walken. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: Alaïa black sandals that tie at the ankles. Jewelry: “My pendant by the sculptor CÃ
00a9.png
sar, representing one of his compressions.” Handbags: “An ‘off-white’ crocodile clutch by Bottega Veneta for day and a silver evening clutch with a skull fastener by Alexander McQueen for evening.” Scent: Opium by Yves Saint Laurent. Sunglasses: “The most recent ones from Tom Ford’s collection.” Cause: amfAR. By Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. KATHERINE ROSS Because she turns the heat on in Vuitton. Residences: Los Angeles and New York City. Occupation: Senior vice president, communications, for LVMH North America. Age: 47. Personal style: “Classic with a bohemian edge.” Favorite fashion purchases of 2008: “An extra-large Louis Vuitton Monogram Jokes bag by Richard Prince and a fabulous pair of John Galliano red shoes.” Jewelry: “My amazing Burmese sapphire ring designed by James de Givenchy for Taffin.” Scent: Diorissimo. Watch: Cartier. Causes: Los Angeles County Museum of Art and P.S. Arts. By Billy Farrell/PatrickMcMullan.com. STACEY BENDET Because she’s Ms. Fancy-Pants. Residences: New York City and Los Angeles. Occupation: Designer and owner of Alice & Olivia. Age: 30. Personal style: “Random. I’ll wear a wedding dress to dinner and baggy pants to a cocktail party. I love all things 70s.” Style icon: Jane Birkin. Favorite fashion purchase of 2008: “Either a vintage 80s Halston shoulder bag from Daha on the Lower East Side, or a Lagerfeld couture dress from Anoushka in Paris.” Fashion item she cannot live without: “High heels!” Sunglasses: Ted Lapidus. Causes: The New York Public Library, and Bent on Learning. By Mat Szwajkos/Getty Images. FRAN LEBOWITZ 2008 Hall of Fame inductee. Residence: “Yes.” Occupation: “See ‘Residence.’ ” Age: “Absolutely.” Favorite vintage store: “The Strand bookstore.” Jewelry: “My great-great-grandmother’s wedding ring, which fits only on extremely cold days. Clearly, the woman was an elf.” By Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com. H.R.H. CROWN PRINCE PAVLOS OF GREECE 2008 Hall of Fame inductee. Residence: London. Occupation: Investment-fund management. Age: 41. Personal style: “Business attire for business and more casualwear for weekends and outings with my family.” Tailor: Tom Ford. Shirtmaker: Charvet. Shoe designer: Berluti. Sunglasses: Pavlos, by Tom Ford. Watch: Rolex Pro-Hunter. Cause: United World Colleges. By Scott Rudd/PatrickMcMullan.com. JONATHAN BECKER 2008 Hall of Fame inductee. Residence: New York City. Occupation: Photographer. Age: 52. Favorite clothing purchase of 2008: “Linen suits made in Argentina of 19th-century French bedsheets.” Tailors: “Longstaff of Buenos Aires, Argentina; Anderson & Sheppard of London.” Most frequently worn item: Grecian slippers. Dress up or dress down: “Start up and go down or vice versa.” Shirtmaker: “Augusto of São Paulo, Brazil.” Shoe designers: “Cleverley of London, Alden of Massachusetts, and Tricker’s of London.” Cause: “Trees.” By Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now Lagerfeld wears Tom Ford?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
CARINE ROITFELD Style icon: Christopher Walken.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JONATHAN BECKER Tailors: Longstaff of Buenos Aires, Argentina; Anderson & Sheppard of London.” ]
This is an edmorel joke waiting to happen.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Spanish brothers made the following pair of bros look terrible. Though they would have looked terrible even without the contrast. Schnabel is like The Dude, with money. Lapo's button boots were nice.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting; I hate that Lagerfeld and Liebovitz are on all of these best dressed lists. They're both horrible IMHO.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their tagline quips are horrible.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Interesting; I hate that Lagerfeld and Liebovitz are on all of these best dressed lists. They're both horrible IMHO.

I like Lagerfeld`s cause
laugh.gif
(I think he looks pretty good too)

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
The Spanish brothers made the following pair of bros look terrible. Though they would have looked terrible even without the contrast.
Agreed. Those are two sharp looking dudes.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two spanish dudes were definetly SF-approved. Did anybody notice that Tom Ford apperently made almost every suit in that list?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What a disgusting list of folks...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kayne does have one correct quote, with the whole its harder to dress great casually than formally

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
The Spanish brothers made the following pair of bros look terrible. Though they would have looked terrible even without the contrast.

They are particularly vile looking.
stsl24_bdl0809.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads