• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s the best knot I’ve ever seen @ericgereghty tie

tenor.gif

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody with a pic of themselves wearing a 3 1/8 x 56" Vanda?

Last edited:

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That’s an odd question.. the same size tie on a tall and big guy is going to look very different compared to a short/small dude. Ties (and all clothes really) should be ordered to fit your proportions!

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s an odd question.. the same size tie on a tall and big guy is going to look very different compared to a short/small dude. Ties (and all clothes really) should be ordered to fit your proportions!

I should clarify that I would like a picture of the knot. This is because shorter length 55-56" sometimes becomes narrow too quickly and the knots end up looking a little too lean.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should clarify that I would like a picture of the knot. This is because shorter length 55-56" sometimes becomes narrow too quickly and the knots end up looking a little too lean.

But this will vary based on height and neck size. A 55"-56" tie on me will need to be tied closer to the end of the narrower blade than on a shorter person if the wider blade is going to hit at the belt. Therefore, the same tie will tie narrower for me than someone that is shorter (assuming a constant neck size). Once you factor in height, neck size, how long a person wears his tie, etc. there are too many variables to just ask to see someone wearing that length of tie.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^^ what he said!

Send us reference pictures of a knot you like, and we’ll try to match the proportions based on your length. I can’t promise you it’ll be perfect, but if you send us pictures of the first one worn, we can tweak subsequent orders to be closer to your ideal.

Note also that different fabric choices can make a rather different knot.. can’t expect a Shantung tie to knot like a lightweight printed silk.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As gshen and PR said, so much of it depends on fabric, but I wear 55" x 3.375" and here are a few of mine in different weight fabrics.

Kubo-Classic-Style-Suit-Vanda-Tie_jcmeyer_mid.jpg

Steed-MTM-jcmeyer-flannel-mid-closed.jpg

IMG_6276.jpg

Formosa-drapers-wsl-jcmeyer-mid-open.jpg

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mediocre pics, but Cascade 1 in action yesterday. Potentially weighing the plain navy as a summer jacket. The fabric has an awesomely tweedy look about it.

To your question, maybe a few of grey, orange/pink/red (pink would probably top my list), and perhaps a brighter kelly-ish green? I view them as a stand in for the white square with non-white shirts, so grey and pink would probably top my wishlist.

View attachment 1152176

View attachment 1152177

@ericgereghty what are your thoughts on this tie now that you have it and somehow (likely through nefarious means) got your hands on the brown Solbiati glencheck. Are the two redundant? Is there room for both?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ericgereghty what are your thoughts on this tie now that you have it and somehow (likely through nefarious means) got your hands on the brown Solbiati glencheck. Are the two redundant? Is there room for both?
I'll never admit where the bodies are hidden.
Definitely room for both, in my opinion. Cascade is way grittier from a visual texture perspective, and also does have the bluish undertones that will be evident in all but the harshest direct light. I'd say the Solbiati looks more refined, at least as far as is possible for pure linens. If you enjoy summery plaids (y'all know I do), I think you'd be pleased to have both.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never admit where the bodies are hidden.
Definitely room for both, in my opinion. Cascade is way grittier from a visual texture perspective, and also does have the bluish undertones that will be evident in all but the harshest direct light. I'd say the Solbiati looks more refined, at least as far as is possible for pure linens. If you enjoy summery plaids (y'all know I do), I think you'd be pleased to have both.

It was interesting to me that the tie with 50% silk has quite a bit more texture than the 100% linen Solbiati ties. I know when I picked the solid navy Dugdale out of the box I was like, "man, this would make a cool jacket as well."

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was interesting to me that the tie with 50% silk has quite a bit more texture than the 100% linen Solbiati ties. I know when I picked the solid navy Dugdale out of the box I was like, "man, this would make a cool jacket as well."
I actually just snagged the navy today. That was my thought as well. Imagine it would make a really neat tweedy looking summer jacket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads