• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lack of keeper is an issue for my work place too.

If I'm concerned that the back blade of one of my Vanda ties might flap around and be noticeable, I tuck it in to the placket of my shirt, in-between a couple of the buttons.

Fair enough. And I hadn't realized all of their ties were made without keepers before, I thought it was just this one due to its open weave.

I bought one of Gerald and Diana's "pre-Vanda" ties, when they were first starting out and I asked about the lack of a keeper. Gerald explained that it was simply their preference - they had a vision (for want of a better word) of the sort of tie that they wanted to make and it didn't include a keeper. They've stayed true to that vision, or philosophy.

I always worried about buying a tie from Vanda because I thought the light lining would tie a little knot. I was incorrect.

I always use a double four-in-hand (also known as a Prince Albert knot, I think) for my Vanda ties and it looks great. The way that they are cut means that the knot is a bit longer than some other ties, and the light lining gives it a nice dimple. I really like the way they knot.

I will say, however, that I have Vanda ties in printed silk and also in silk with woven patterns, and I prefer the printed silk. I just like the softer, more pliable feel over the harder, crisper texture of the woven ties, and I feel that the printed silk matches the general Vanda aesthetic better.

ZRH1

Reaction score
Appreciate the comments and discussion, folks!

With regards to lining - it's not that we refuse to use a different lining, but the minimum orders for interlining are pretty high and shipping costs are prohibitive as they're essentially 50m rolls of ~300g/m fabric from Italy..

In any case, we actually upgraded the interlining to a very slightly heavier make last year around June.. Costs more and we were initially sceptical about the weight, but the stuff drapes insanely well and we've been using it since.

And yes, as @CLTesquire correctly points out, we like to let the fabric do the talking. We pay top dollar for the best tie fabrics, and it's just a shame to try and make every tie end up feeling the same - heavy and stiff with multiple layers of cotton+wool+whatever interlining that is common in heavier ties these days. We try and use interlining only when the fabrics need extra help in terms of drape or longevity.

Honouring the cloth, if you will.

Gerald, thanks. Perhaps I choose the unlined ones, I shall give your selection another look.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Placed an order in anticipation of autumn and winter:

NT537-2_1024x1024.jpg
nt732-2_1024x1024.jpg
nt925-3_1024x1024.jpg

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to try the mauve cashmere but just haven’t gotten around to it!

emptym

Reaction score
I ordered a tie and a square, moss green melange:
nt959-1_1024x1024.jpg

and hare and tortoise:
ps447-1_1024x1024.jpg

Both gorgeous, as, really, is everything they make. My thanks to Gerald for his kind customer service.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hare and tortoise is one of my favorites. I love that whole series.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have the fable note cards pinned up in my office. Really dig that concept.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I should also echo the compliment to Gerald for the great customer service. I hope all Vanda lovers got in an order (finances willing)!

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope all Vanda lovers got in an order (finances willing)!

It was the 3 not-yet worn Vanda ties on the rack that stopped me...

Ok, it was my miscalculation as to when the hell midnight in Singapore was for the promotion end that stopped me...

In all honestly, the number of times I have worn shoes with laces in the last year alarmingly approximates the number of ties I bought in the same period - 4 Vanda, 3-4 Drake's, 1 Tie Your Tie, a pink knit from somewhere, a Bigi from No Man...

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was the 3 not-yet worn Vanda ties on the rack that stopped me...

Ok, it was my miscalculation as to when the hell midnight in Singapore was for the promotion end that stopped me...

In all honestly, the number of times I have worn shoes with laces in the last year alarmingly approximates the number of ties I bought in the same period - 4 Vanda, 3-4 Drake's, 1 Tie Your Tie, a pink knit from somewhere, a Bigi from No Man...
I hear you. I've worn a tie for Zoom twice, but otherwise haven't worn one for creeping up on a year. I have nevertheless gotten a few because of unique fabrics. I have also in the past failed to pay sufficient attention to what local time is midnight in Singapore. ?

emptym

Reaction score
The time zone difference is part of what I was referring to. I was waiting to place an order after I heard back from a some women whom I had showed/sent a link to Vanda's scarf page and asked if they wanted one. They all said they had so many already and don't have a chance to wear them, which is true about me and ties/squares... But Vanda's are the best imo. I don't have many of their things, but if I had a lot of money, I'd get a lot more.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I've worn a tie for Zoom twice, but otherwise haven't worn one for creeping up on a year. I have nevertheless gotten a few because of unique fabrics. I have also in the past failed to pay sufficient attention to what local time is midnight in Singapore. ?

I've been stocking up on ties for over a year. I should probably hang them up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads