• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
wooliscool.jpg

From now until Sunday, 21 Feb 2021 at 2359hrs (Singapore time / GMT+8), use the discount code WOOLISCOOL for 20% off all products that are made with wool / cashmere / mohair! Yes, blends e.g. silk/wool, cashmere/silk etc are all included in this sale.

If you've followed us for some time, you would likely be aware that we don't often offer discounts. As customers ourselves, we dislike the idea of paying an inflated price, only to find out months later that the item you purchased is heavily discounted. This is why we operate Vanda on a lean scale and price our products fairly, instead of sticking "standard retail markups" to our products. We want our customers to know that there is no better time to buy something than now.

Thanks to our best friend COVID-19 however, the necktie business has taken a beating as work from home has become the new norm and public events have been cancelled. We've spent almost a decade building Vanda Fine Clothing, and we'd like to keep going for as long as our hands can sew! Please do us a favour and make use of this code to grab yourself a deal while helping us stay afloat.

If you are in need of any advice on picking the right tie or pocket square for your use, please feel free to email us, call us or chat with us on social media and we would be more than happy to help!

Do note that many designs are limited in stock, and we are unlikely to restock them if they get sold out. Act swiftly if you see something you like!

Sincerely,
Diana & Gerald

WhereNext

Reaction score
Just got my first two ties (including a wool/silk one!) and am thrilled with them. Not just interesting fabric and patterns, but a really light construction that is just really different than I've gotten other places. Sigh, now I have to get my credit card back out.....
As someone who wears a tie to work every day (and has a clothing buying problem), I need Vanda to keep its doors open as long as possible!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dimple looking ace, @ericgereghty!
I'm the broken clock of knotting. Every so often I get it right :rotflmao:
Just got my first two ties (including a wool/silk one!) and am thrilled with them. Not just interesting fabric and patterns, but a really light construction that is just really different than I've gotten other places. Sigh, now I have to get my credit card back out.....
As someone who wears a tie to work every day (and has a clothing buying problem), I need Vanda to keep its doors open as long as possible!
Vanda's aesthetic is very distinctly their own. May not jive in all places (I'm worked at firms where you'd get dragged for not tucking the back blade into the keeper loop :rolleyes:), but if they suit your needs/preferences/workplace, D&G make the best ties and squares in the world, from my experience.

WhereNext

Reaction score

Vanda's aesthetic is very distinctly their own. May not jive in all places (I'm worked at firms where you'd get dragged for not tucking the back blade into the keeper loop :rolleyes:), but if they suit your needs/preferences/workplace, D&G make the best ties and squares in the world, from my experience.

I started getting my ties made exclusively at Hober a few years ago, but will definitely be splitting business between them and Vanda from now on. I'm about to try Shibumi, as well.
You are spot on that their aesthetic is distinct. One of the ties I got was a silk/cashmere grenadine and the way it's made would be ideal for spring/summer specific ties in those types of lighter or more open weave fabrics. On the other end, I'll be wearing my other new one (wool/silk blend in a 6-fold construction) tomorrow which will be perfect for this cold weather snap we're having!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The lack of keeper is an issue for my work place too.

WhereNext

Reaction score
The lack of keeper is an issue for my work place too.

Really? Wouldn't someone have to look really hard and/or the wearer be moving around a lot to have the back blade coming out so noticeably or regularly to invite comment? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just find it surprising.
Roughly 98% of the time I'm wearing a tie it's either with a tie clip or a waistcoat, so a keeper doesn't really matter much to me (though it did cause some confusion this morning as I was still not quite awake and kept trying fruitlessly to get the back blade in its home!).

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Wouldn't someone have to look really hard and/or the wearer be moving around a lot to have the back blade coming out so noticeably or regularly to invite comment? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just find it surprising.
Roughly 98% of the time I'm wearing a tie it's either with a tie clip or a waistcoat, so a keeper doesn't really matter much to me (though it did cause some confusion this morning as I was still not quite awake and kept trying fruitlessly to get the back blade in its home!).

The same reason that Vanda only makes ties without a keeper (i.e., it presents a certain casual look when worn) is the reason that others would notice it as well.

WhereNext

Reaction score
The same reason that Vanda only makes ties without a keeper (i.e., it presents a certain casual look when worn) is the reason that others would notice it as well.

Fair enough. And I hadn't realized all of their ties were made without keepers before, I thought it was just this one due to its open weave.
I've always worked, in varying ways, in education, where wearing ANY tie is cause for comment (of varying levels of positivity/negativity) due to their rarity. This discussion strikes me as the kind of thing where many might "feel/sense" like the tie is more casual even if they couldn't point to a specific reason why (like saying, "I noticed your tie doesn't have a keeper for the back blade"); sort of the "soft shouldered suit" situation.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn Vanda ties almost exclusively for the past several years, often with business suits, and have never had anyone comment on the lack of keeper.

ZRH1

Reaction score
I'd like to support VFC, but I realized I need at least a medium to heavy lining. Some months ago however it seemed I stumbled on an exchange here that sort of made it offensive to ask for such lining, am I wrong?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to support VFC, but I realized I need at least a medium to heavy lining. Some months ago however it seemed I stumbled on an exchange here that sort of made it offensive to ask for such lining, am I wrong?

It's not offensive per se, but it's not their look. The whole point of a Vanda tie is the airy light look and feel.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started getting my ties made exclusively at Hober a few years ago, but will definitely be splitting business between them and Vanda from now on. I'm about to try Shibumi, as well.
You are spot on that their aesthetic is distinct. One of the ties I got was a silk/cashmere grenadine and the way it's made would be ideal for spring/summer specific ties in those types of lighter or more open weave fabrics. On the other end, I'll be wearing my other new one (wool/silk blend in a 6-fold construction) tomorrow which will be perfect for this cold weather snap we're having!
Hober is also great, and much more of an aesthetic chameleon. Shibumi makes some really fun ties, and I quite like the pieces from them I have. That said, strictly from a quality perspective, I don't hesitate to call Vanda the best.
+1. That's the only shop I toiled for that ever cared, but it's received notice without question. I've had it reached for on dates and social gatherings. Naturally, I slapped those grubby paws away.
I've worn Vanda ties almost exclusively for the past several years, often with business suits, and have never had anyone comment on the lack of keeper.
It was an exceptionally asinine shop, in terms of dress code. Wanted to impart a very rigid, old school IBM-esque conservative uniform...yet I got unofficially reprimanded for wearing a sport coat to the office. Riddle me that one lol.
Offensive, no. Gerald is extremely accommodating, and unfailingly pleasant, but, if you request something antithetical to Vanda's stylistic philosophy, you'll likely face rejection. Politely, of course. Out of curiosity, why do you feel you need that level of lining? Are there any other SF makers you've found yourself a fan of?

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always worried about buying a tie from Vanda because I thought the light lining would tie a little knot. I was incorrect.

I also like how a light lining or no lining let’s the fabric do it’s thing and behave like it wants. The fabrics they offer all drape well on their own without the need for a major lining.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Appreciate the comments and discussion, folks!

With regards to lining - it's not that we refuse to use a different lining, but the minimum orders for interlining are pretty high and shipping costs are prohibitive as they're essentially 50m rolls of ~300g/m fabric from Italy..

In any case, we actually upgraded the interlining to a very slightly heavier make last year around June.. Costs more and we were initially sceptical about the weight, but the stuff drapes insanely well and we've been using it since.

And yes, as @CLTesquire correctly points out, we like to let the fabric do the talking. We pay top dollar for the best tie fabrics, and it's just a shame to try and make every tie end up feeling the same - heavy and stiff with multiple layers of cotton+wool+whatever interlining that is common in heavier ties these days. We try and use interlining only when the fabrics need extra help in terms of drape or longevity.

Honouring the cloth, if you will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics