1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gshen, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Blue/Cyan Medallion? Navy/White Flowers? Blue/Mango Circles? In case you can't tell, I lean hard blue haha.
    Have you posted pics of the honeycomb yet? Would be curious to see it IRL.

2. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

Ha, I'm actually trying to get something with a little less blue dominance for variety. My stable of navy ties is strong (and I have thought of the blue/mango circles as an option).

This would slay with a navy suit:

[​IMG]

So would this:

[​IMG]

3. gshen

gshen Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Well noted. We're headed up to the mill in Apr-May to hunt down some new colours/designs too, but we'll keep these in mind.

Oh well! These are custom colours and even if we reorder the fabrics, it's unlikely the shades will be exactly the same. But it does seem like the lighter/less intense colours are selling fast. We're running low on kale, cinnamon, sky and indigo now. Also, if you're sure about the chestnut glencheck (you should be, trust me!) - feel free to place an order for it first and just let me know if you want us to hold your order instead of sending it altogether. We can refund duplicate shipping costs later if you want to order something else.

Do you mean the plain shades? The chestnut glencheck was a one-off I believe, and we bought all they had. They've got some real funky plain shades in there.. we've got beige and khaki plains here anyway, just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer..

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

If not those specifically some stripe shantung options would be great!

5. ericgereghty

To be honest, I was referencing the glencheck design (had assumed it came in multiple shades perhaps), but, I do love me some mohair, so I’d welcome any and all options!
    For what it’s worth, if there was something along the lines of a black, bluish navy, and burgundy, I’d be all about it. One takeaway about the Tie is the edges seem particularly “flowy,” in the sense that they don’t seem quite as pressed in. It’s quite interesting. Curious (well, assuming I’m even partly correct lol) if that was the intent with making this one up, or if it’s simply the nature of the higher mohair content?

6. gshen

Just the fabric - we use the same little kiss of steam to finish the edges for all our ties. The crisp wool types we use (mohair, hopsacks) are just very crease resistant and won't take a very flat edge even if you press them hard. On the other hand, some silks have a lot of 'memory' and will stay flat even if you just pressed on them with your hands.

7. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

Sorry hijack, but how should one maintain their ties?
    Should i send them to the dry cleaners every now and then?
    Or just use the steam off the iron? (not pressing the tie, just a burst of steam)

8. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

You shouldn’t need to anything to maintain a tie other than hanging it or rolling it after wearing AND vigilantly avoiding stains.

9. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

May i ask what is the purpose of rolling the tie after you have worn it?
    To smooth out the wringkles?

10. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Some people prefer to store their ties rolled up--it saves space and avoids any winkles you might get from folding. I've always shied away from rolling ties, though, because if you aren't careful and diligent, the delicate tips can become damaged. This is especially true if the tie is untipped with hand rolled edges, like Vandas.

11. gshen

@CLTesquire & @SJR3 are spot on. I don't suggest taking ties to dry cleaners unless absolutely necessary, because they are more than likely to press the life out of your tie.

After wearing a tie (any tie really), leave it to hang for 1-2 days at least. I store my personal ties on a hanging rack at home, but at the workshop we don't have the space to hang all our ties, so most are rolled carefully to avoid damage to the tips. Ties made with loosely woven fabrics (like grenadines and knitted ties) are better off kept rolled to prevent stretching.

If your Vanda ties need some refreshing, feel free to send them back to us and we will give them a proper press FOC. A full recrafting service including redoing the slip stitching and replacing interlining (if applicable) would cost S$60.

12. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

13. ericgereghty

Fwiw, I roll my ties after wearing overnight, then hang. I roll fairly loosely, applying slight pressure to points of wear (where wrinkles are apt to appear), and stop at the bar tack, so as not to mess with the rolled edges.

14. applky

applky Distinguished Member

This is great info Gerald! Thanks!

How necessary is it to not hang grenadines and loose knits for long periods of time, as in years? I have many, many older grenadines from you that I've always kept hung, never rolled. Off the top of my head, I believe the grenadines I have from you are the Solid Navy Piccola, Grey Melange with Navy Overweave Fina, and Light Blue Melange Fina. I also have other knits, like the Apricot-Blue Basketweave. If I keep them hung for another ten years, say, will they stretch out beyond all recognition? Or is it minor? Haven't noticed any problems so far, but would of course not to have stretching down the line.

15. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior Member

Look at what they do to this Isaia tie. Starts at about 1:20.