Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gshen, Jan 12, 2016.

1. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Most of the ties I wear are in fact vanda. I just wish they made their pocket squares 16x16.

2. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for sharing the pictures, gents!

Me too! Here they are:

collection-17-may-2017-main.jpg

Our Italian printed silk squares are generally around 15-15.5" in size, which is pretty close actually! The kimono silk squares are smaller for two reasons - they are quite a bit heavier and more textured than the italian silks, so making them 16" would cause too much bulk in the breast pocket. Also, kimono silks are always woven narrow - typically around 14" wide, so it's just not possible to make a square any bigger than 13".

3. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

The kimono silks are lovely but won't stay rolled in some of my jackets. What do i do?

4. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nothing some sticky tape won't fix.. kidding obviously!!

How do you wear the squares? My method for a puff is to form a circle with my left index finger and thumb, poke the middle of square in with my right hand, grab the top and give it a twist. Ensuring the puff has sufficient length so it doesn't sink further into the pocket helps it stay in place.

5. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

I agree with this. It doesn't dissuade me from wearing Vanda squares, but they do usually require some readjustment throughout the day, at least the way I wear them.

6. Megakurth

Megakurth Member

I love both my Cinnamon Tie and my Purple Japanese Raw Silk tie.. I have a question though.. I usually do a double four-in-hand with a relatively tight knot and when I untie them, there tend to be some "wrinkles" where the knot was tied. For the most part, I tend to tie it in the same spot, but was wondering if you had any advice on getting those out? I usually hang the tie for a day or two before rolling it up.

7. ericgereghty

I'm also a tight knotter, so I think it's virtually impossible for tie wrinkling to ever entirely go away after use. I think there will always be SOME notable signs of wear, unless you've got a high twist wool tie (fresco, hopsack, etc). Here's what I do.
    1. Hang the tie at the points of greatest stress (the knot) overnight to let force relax them away.
    2. Lightly roll the tie in the morning, with a bit of tension applied at stress points.
    3. Hang the tie at the end of the day, and pop in back in the closet with the rest of them.

There are probably better methods, but this is more than good enough for me.

8. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Wedding pics. Kale matka in action.

IMG_5908.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

9. asewonder

asewonder Active Member

@justinkapur Curious as to why you don't wear ties anymore?

10. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

He switched jobs, out of suits, into quasi biz casual, I believe

11. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Yup. I have moved over to extremely casual. Not sloppy but less MC and more SW&D

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what new job?

13. dng992

dng992 Senior member

What would be recommendations for summer/lighter ties?

Obviously it depends on the construction, so unlined naturally going to be lighter. But is there specific compositions which everyone feels are more suited to hotter weather?

14. ericgereghty

With Vanda, everything is so light that there are few options truly ill suited to warm weather. It really depends on what aligns with your style. Matkas, Shantungs, and linens are all the usual suspects, of course.