• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, "weird" isn't what I meant to describe the tie's behavior, it makes perfect sense that being more slippery would cause it to slip. A double four-in-hand does hold a bit better than a single, but the thinner silk/lining tends to produce a bit of a gun-barrel knot for me when using the D4IH.

I'll play around with it a bit more and try another knot, but it should come as no surprise that, as a StyFo member, I get a bit OCD about ties that have come away from the collar to the point that *gasp* you can see the top button.

I would definitely use the knot that Mark Cho uses. I have been using that for more of my thinner ties and it works nicely. I had no idea that was the knot he used lol.

masaccio

Reaction score
What is the name for that knot? It is the one I first learned 30+ years ago and always thought it was a FIH, then watched a different video of the FIH and realized I was "doing it wrong."

The problem I always seemed to have with the knot Mark Cho demonstrates is that the knot always seemed to come out a little slanted.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Knize is one name for it. It's what I use most of the time.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "weird" isn't what I meant to describe the tie's behavior, it makes perfect sense that being more slippery would cause it to slip. A double four-in-hand does hold a bit better than a single, but the thinner silk/lining tends to produce a bit of a gun-barrel knot for me when using the D4IH.

I'll play around with it a bit more and try another knot, but it should come as no surprise that, as a StyFo member, I get a bit OCD about ties that have come away from the collar to the point that *gasp* you can see the top button.
That is totally gasp worthy, OCD or no!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the name for that knot? It is the one I first learned 30+ years ago and always thought it was a FIH, then watched a different video of the FIH and realized I was "doing it wrong."

The problem I always seemed to have with the knot Mark Cho demonstrates is that the knot always seemed to come out a little slanted.

Isn't that simply a half-windsor?

bsarosi

Reaction score
Not exactly...I just tied it and thought it was a half windsor only to realize that it's more of a reversed half windsor.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received these three very awesome ties. :slayer:

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously a subjective take, but 3.75" is the bees knees for me. A nice, wholesome knot as a 4IH, without being bulbous.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Singapore recently and dropped by the new workshop for Vanda - really great and a nicer space than where they were before:

I picked up this large paisley madder tie (on the left) which I'm really looking forward to wearing since we have a lot more cold weather left in Melbourne (photo from the Vanda blog):

Here's a tip - if you're looking for something *really* nice for a lady in your life, you will not go wrong with anything from Arete Goods - they share the space with Vanda and Diana is also one of the co-founders. Just as with Vanda, you can be sure that good taste pervades their collection. My wife picked up a Penta tote in black cowskin and the leather felt *really* nice but what sealed it for me was the goat suede lining - just lovely.

jamie411

Reaction score
I have that paisley tie - my first purchased from Vanda. It's fantastic and I love it! Enjoy!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gshen any chance of bringing back some of the classic wedding ties that are sold out. Namely the Navy/Cream POW and Blue Shepherds?

jamie411

Reaction score

I picked up this large paisley madder tie (on the left) which I'm really looking forward to wearing since we have a lot more cold weather left in Melbourne

Definitely nothing but hot and sunny in DC today, but I wore I anyway. Out of season, I know, but you put it in my head! Excuse the jacketless iPhone photo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics