1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gshen, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

This grenadine looks great:
    I have also been looking at the new rust grenadine: [​IMG] I don't normally wear grenadines, and I have forgotten what the SF opinion is regarding their level of formality. Higher or lower than a comparable textured solid in wool or silk? I also wonder if the Vanda version might be slightly less formal than some of the other grenadines out there. I find that Vanda ties often seem easier and more comfortable for daily wear (less formal) than some of my others. Would the same hold for a Vanda grenadine?

2. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I find them to be pretty versatile in terms of wear with both suits or sport coats. I think you could make the argument a fina weave is a bit more formal than a grossa but to 99% of eyes...it won't make a damned difference.

I'm not sure about Vandas other grenadines but the light grey one is not a true grenadine as you find woven by Italian mills but rather is described as a Japanese weavers take on grenadine. I like it.

3. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That is indeed the overall feel we are after with our ties - really glad you feel the same way.

With regards to formality of the grenadines, I find them one notch less formal than a plain silk tie, but not quite as casual as a textured wool.. for that same reason I find them very versatile.

Do note that the the unlined/untipped nature of our grenadines makes the tips transparent, which could possibly make it less 'formal'. This bugs some people, while others love it.

PCK1 is also right to note that the Japanese versions are not true 'grenadines' in the sense that they aren't exactly the same weave as the Italian stuff, but they are quite similar in texture and porosity.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

quite nice!

5. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

:eh:

6. Procrastination

Procrastination Active Member

How have people in the UK found import duties when ordering from Vanda?

7. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Thanks for the responses. I may just have to give that rust grenadine a try. Yes, I like the "comfortable" quality of Vanda ties. I often wear ties when I don't really have to, so I appreciate that they can feel relaxed while still looking good. Today I wore the apricot basketweave:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Love how simple, yet elegant that looks.

9. gshen

Very, very nicely worn, @Simplicio!

Good news - restocks of our classic wedding silks have just arrived, together with the oft-requested solid shantungs. In four shades :slayer:

All four shades will go up on the website next week, but if you can't wait, just drop us an email to order one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

@gshen
    That's fantastic news.
    Is the black-white silk houndstooth among the recently received batch?

11. gshen

^No but it should show up within the next 2 days or so

12. applky

applky Senior member

So fast on the shantungs. And in four colors... it will be incredibly difficult to choose. But odds are I'll go for the middle two.

Amazing color variegation on the second from left. Is that primarily a mid-range green?

13. gshen

@applky, do you mean the far right? We've named the colours Burgundy, Chocolate, Navy and Olive from L-R - it's hard to photograph dark colours accurately without studio light so take the colour impressions now with a pinch of salt. We've done the Navy version before actually - it's the same one Spoo posted here awhile ago!

Also, great news finally - the matka samples have arrived and we're very pleased with them. The bolts of fabric should arrive here by next week, and we will get cracking on everyone's orders ASAP. Once again, many apologies for the slight delay in the fabric production. The ties are top of our priority list and will be cut and sewn immediately when the fabric is here.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Wow all those colors are magnificent

15. gshen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Long overdue, but here's our first take on a diamond point bow tie. Max width is about 2.375". Let us know what you think!

3 people like this.
  16. urban

urban Senior member

Gents, i am looking for a tie holder for my travels. I have not been able to find one which is really nice.Can anyone recommend something they use and like? Thanks.

17. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

I think it looks damn good, and hike it is offered along with the batwing moving forward.

I honestly don't know what a tie holder is, so, if cleanliness is the name of the game, why not just fold them neatly into a ziploc bag, and save the unspent money on....a Vanda diamond point bow tie?!

2 people like this.
  18. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I put them in a plastic bag after rolling them up and then put them into my shoes along with the plastic Ikea spring type shoe trees

19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Can any necktie fabric be chosen as a bow tie?

20. gshen

I use our tie boxes to store up to 3 ties rolled, which works fine for me. We've actually been toying with the idea of getting a leather tie case made, since we know a fantastic leather workshop in Spain and a several great tanneries through our other business, Arete Goods.

The problem is that we can't seem to come up with a solution which is space efficient and protective enough for ties. If anyone has any thoughts, we're all ears... and we can make it happen.

Yes, as long as we have enough fabric on hand, we can make a bow tie out of it. We're actually going to photograph a bow tie cutout on some/most of the fabrics to help folks imagine them made up - hopefully that won't be too long from now.

Note that some fabrics will be too thick to make a sensible bow tie.. the wool/wool blends and bulkier fabrics like shantungs and matkas fall into this category. We can still make them, but I doubt you'd like them as a bow tie.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.