• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of repp with fresco? I’d probably agree to disagree there. Would probably fall into the overthinking it category for me, though I’d be curious as to your rationale.
I have the tie, it works well with tweed. I would’ve used a hopsack or shantung tie with this get up.

circumspice

Reaction score
I don't have a texture viewpoint but rather a formality viewpoint - the shirt and square are skewing towards whimsy, the tiebmore somber with the suit being neutral and thus pulled in both directions

CLTesquire

Reaction score
I think that repp tie goes great with a fresco suit. I probably wouldn't have picked that tie with that shirt though. A light blue shirt, that repp tie, and that suit...all day.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the tie, it works well with tweed. I would’ve used a hopsack or shantung tie with this get up.
Certainly couldn't go wrong with either. Curious what sort of more "formal" ties, if any, you'd pair with fresco.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly couldn't go wrong with either. Curious what sort of more "formal" ties, if any, you'd pair with fresco.
I don’t like the tie from a visual and physical perspective. The fabric is too heavy to pair well with a light and airy summer garment. When I knot the tie it’s heavy and stiff, not something I would wear in a DC summer.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the tie from a visual and physical perspective. The fabric is too heavy to pair well with a light and airy summer garment. When I knot the tie it’s heavy and stiff, not something I would wear in a DC summer.
Totally dig that mindset, but man that's a tough bar to clear for any tie. Unless I can flit from AC to AC (car to office, etc.), I can't imagine feeling comfortable with any tie around my tie in the depths of a DC summer.

That said, I'd a Charmin soft Angeleno :embar:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that tie with fresco. At least in photos, it looks pretty smooth. So, textured suit, smooth tie, a little different texture each for the shirt and square fill out the texture spectrum and seem like they work to me.

I don't love the color of the shirt, though. It seems a bit too saturated for the dusty tie. Might be the camera, though. A lighter, more subdued pink would be better. And the square texture is nice but it seems a bit too informal for a grey suit and repp tie.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that tie with fresco. At least in photos, it looks pretty smooth. So, textured suit, smooth tie, a little different texture each for the shirt and square fill out the texture spectrum and seem like they work to me.

I don't love the color of the shirt, though. It seems a bit too saturated for the dusty tie. Might be the camera, though. A lighter, more subdued pink would be better. And the square texture is nice but it seems a bit too informal for a grey suit and repp tie.
Very much on board with these critiques. The shirt coloring was the first thing I noticed on posting. It isn't nearly as saturated as it seems (rather pale, IRL), but I could still see it being slightly "off" in relation to the tie. The square is where I often find myself floundering. Outside of plain white/cream, it's mostly my throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very much on board with these critiques. The shirt coloring was the first thing I noticed on posting. It isn't nearly as saturated as it seems (rather pale, IRL), but I could still see it being slightly "off" in relation to the tie. The square is where I often find myself floundering. Outside of plain white/cream, it's mostly my throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.
Summer

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gshen how would you describe the body/feel of this tie? It's obviously not as dry as a repp, but it doesn't seem quite as smooth and shiny as a satin, either, at least from what I can make out.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We’ve just released a special archive collection of 15 unique deadstock fabrics from mills like Dormeuil, Scabal, John Foster, VBC etc in extremely limited quantities. Whether it's the design or hand of the fabric, these neckties have a special quality about them.

The fabrics are all from the old stocks of a local fabric distributor who’s been around for donkey years!

We only have sufficient fabric for 2-6 neckties in most designs - so don't hesitate if you find something of interest. Once gone, they're literally gone for good!

Attachments

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.