• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vancouver travel

Jrufraz

Reaction score
Hey all

Just wondering if anyone on here has some good spots (shopping, restaurants, sites, etc...) to check out in Van City. Heading down there with the wife in late July for a week and we're trying to plan some things to do. I've read some towns to check out but Im looking for some specific sites to go to.

Thanks!!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robson Street, Kitsilano, Gastown for shopping.

Denman St., Gastown, Granville Island and Yaletown for food.

Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Granville Island, Grouse Mountain for sightseeing.

Only other town worth visiting I'd say is Richmond for the Speed Skating oval and chinese food.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ That about covers it. I love Gastown.

mgoose

Reaction score
If the weather's good, the pier out in whiterock is nice for scenery, people watching, and some dinner.

TheButler

Reaction score
If you like Indian/sort of Indian fusion, check out Vij's. One of the better restaurants you'll find in Canada.

I haven't been there for a while but the Blue Water in Yaletown is great for sushi.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheButler
I haven't been there for a while but the Blue Water in Yaletown is great for sushi.

Blue Water is great for just about everything. Imperial Seafood for dim sum. That's a good start.

a-rock

Reaction score
I second Japadog... get the edamame bratwurst!

rkw5000

Reaction score
Tojo's for Sushi. BTW, Vij does not take reservations so go early or be prepared to wait. Catch for Seafood and Italian Kitchen are good spots

Islander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Only other town worth visiting I'd say is Richmond for the Speed Skating oval and chinese food.
Originally Posted by mgoose
If the weather's good, the pier out in whiterock is nice for scenery, people watching, and some dinner.
White Rock is nice for the beaches and seaside dining but if you do end up making a trip to Richmond you can do scenery, people watching, and fantastic seafood out in Steveston also. There are good restaurants (try Pajo's fish and chips for lunch on the pier), or you can buy your own fresh seafood on the dock as it is unloaded from the fishing boats. ^ Italian Kitchen is excellent and if you're out walking around they have this hidden takeout counter (shhh...) around the corner where you can get fantastic sandwiches and salads. I work downtown and everyone in my office goes there. Shopping: Roden Gray and Dutil (both in Gastown) are worthwhile stops.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like taking people to Shabusen. It's not the best Japanese/Korean by far, but it's AYCE at a very reasonable price, and my friends like the idea of grilling your own food.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shabusen is a fun time, especially sitting in the boat! and its really not that bad, especially lunch....fairly cheap.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I like taking people to Shabusen. It's not the best Japanese/Korean by far, but it's AYCE at a very reasonable price, and my friends like the idea of grilling your own food.

All you can eat toro that is actually pretty good is a huge +1

Saltricks

Reaction score
If you can get some hong kong style chinese food there, it won't be a waste of time.

Vancouver has the best hong kong food i've had outside of hong kong.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
If you're eating at Shabusen just eat lunch there. It's not that good for dinner. Mostly you're there for the combination of sushi with korean bbq, and given you're getting 8pc sashimi with it it's not a bad deal for $12.95.

Eat at Tojo's if you're willing to drop $200 for 2 on Omakase. Otherwise, don't. It is worth it though, to me. Last I was there I went for 5 courses and got 7, some of that stuff I'll remember the taste of for a long time. Another nice spot that's a half-step down in price is Octopus Garden in kits. Lime japanese restaurant is very good, as is Zest on 16th avenue (which has prix-fixe menus), both are mid-range.

But there are lots of places to get good stuff with good ingredients for cheaper. It's worth trying some of the more inventive places - Tokiwa on Oak, Yuji's on 4th is one of my personal faves, I-Sushi on Arbutus, Kadoya has some interesting rolls. Toshi sushi is good, but hyped beyond belief, so the constant lineup is kind of annoying; I find eating there a bit rushed. There are too many to list, that is the tip of the iceberg and could go on all day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads