• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vancouver travel

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budget wise - probably $50 for lunch and $100 for dinner for a splurge dinner for one of the dinners.
I will be staying at the Westin Grand in Downtown.

Thanks for the suggestions Saigon, I will definitely look into all of those.

Any sushi places you recommend. I don't have to go to Tojo's since I'm an avid sushi eater, just somewhere good and reasonable is fine. Nothing can beat the Tsujiki Fish Market for sushi.

Saigon

Reaction score
I hear you about tsukiji! I can't speak well about sushi places downtown but I think JD Mays' recommendations on the first page are pretty solid.

Please let us know what you end up doing and where you eat!

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death but since I'm from LA, what is the poshes club on saturday with the hottest girls?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saigon
Whats your budget like? Where will you be staying?

I second the recommendation for Chambar for at least one dinner. Probably my favorite place downtown. Kirin for dim sum would be good too (as one of your lunch options). Blue water or Cioppinos for one splurge dinner. It hasnt been mentioned yet, but the lunch deals at Oru in the Fairmont Pacific Rim are reasonably priced and tasty. Then for your (my?) last two, i'd go with seafood lunch at the Dundarave Fish Market in West Van (checking out Ambleside and maybe Grouse Mountain while you're over there) and then steaks at Gotham for dinner.

For snacks, i'd go for cheap shwarma plates on granville, nat's new york pizza, and ramen on denman.

Also for snacks you have to try JapaDog on Burrard the cart and Robson the restaurant
biggrin.gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
I know this has been beaten to death but since I'm from LA, what is the poshes club on saturday with the hottest girls?

Celebrities.
The Cambie
The Biltmore.
The Odyssey.
peepwall[1].gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
thanks for the help you guys.

Oh wait. Only go to Celebrities/Odyssey on Tuesdays. And while the other two I mentioned are fun, they aren't exactly posh. I just saw clubs and reused my suggestions.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Oh wait. Only go to Celebrities/Odyssey on Tuesdays. And while the other two I mentioned are fun, they aren't exactly posh. I just saw clubs and reused my suggestions.

Dah!

I need thursday, friday, and sunday

my dj friends there said fortune sound on friday is killer.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw Theophilus London at Fortune Sound on Thursday. ******* awesome

Staying at the Westin Grand and have Japadog and the vietnamese sandwhich shop across the street.

Ate at Guu, Rodneys Oyster, and Chambar already.

Have reservations at Blue Water Grill tonight.

Why is clothing here so ******* expensive? i can get everything here in US way cheaper. The canadian dollar and US dollar are almost equal.

Drink here is absurd because of the stranglehold on alcohol. But thats alright.

Saigon

Reaction score
How were your meals? What did you have?

Yeah, dont bother buying clothes here. Less selection coupled with higher prices means you should stick to clothes shopping back at home.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Yeah clothing and alcohol are both very very expensive here, which is why most of us drive down to stock up on alcohol

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some places I plan to hit up for food (well, I'll try)...confirmation that they are worth going to?

Twisted Fork
Salade de Fruits
Acme Cafe
The Irish Heather
Cafe Medina
Alibi Room
Chambar
Salt
Les Faux Bourgeois

Any more recommendations for dining? Nothing too fancy/romantic...I'll be travelling with 2 dudes. I'm from Los Angeles, so I think I'm going to stay away from the whole Ethnic cuisine (Japanese, Chinese, especially Mexican, etc) because we have enough of that over here. Any "only in VAN" places? Maybe some locally-owned, organic, overall original spots?

And of course I'll be hitting up Japadog

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of them are pretty good, most in the same neighborhood.

Irish Heather is great if you like whiskey, they have a huge selection.

svelten

Reaction score
Been out of the clubbing scene for ages, but "poshest" would probably be Republic or Caprice on Granville based on memory. Celebrities, Odyssey, Cambie (which I thought was just a rowdy ass pub?) and the Roxy definitely don't fit the bill. Well, unless you're into dudes apart from straight nights for the first two, or 35+ year old white women for the latter. Last club I went to was Fortune Sound which was good.

As for the restaurants, there is nothing wrong with any of them. Value wise it's hard to beat Salade de Fruits for quality for money. Salt (presumably Salt Tasting Room) isn't a place to eat dinner. You get a few bits of meats, cheese and condiments, and try out some drinks at a hip and trendy venue. Cool place but come AFTER dinner. Le Faux is good if you can somehow score a seat, place is always packed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads