• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vancouver Spruce / Wings & Horns Sale

MJRH

Reaction score
As you may know, the Wings & Horns end-of-season sale is on now, with Spruce, W+H, and W&H stock over 70% off. Hoodies are going for $35 CAD and jackets for $80 CAD. As a long-time SF lurker from Vancouver, I thought I'd jump on the opportunity. For those questioning my credentials, here is my mom's eBay account, with 100% positive feedback. I'll also be using her paypal account, [email protected]. I will be charging $70 USD for hoodies and $120 USD for jackets, with shipping to be determined on an individual basis (I plan on going with FedEx). Currently, I only accept cash payment via Paypal, but I'm working to get credit card up and running before the sale is over. How it will work is, you'll request a piece, preferably more than one option since they don't have an overabundance of stock available, and paypal the money to my account. If any of the pieces you requested are available, I'll ship. Otherwise, I'll paypal the money back to you, minus any transaction fees Paypal charges. All sales are final. Anybody interested may post or PM me. Please include a picture of whatever it is you want, unless you trust your verbal description and my interpretation thereof - bearing in mind that I must have seen at least five different shades of green alone. If you like I'll also take phone numbers, and inform you of availability as I'm in the store. That may require you to get up in the middle of the night, though - Vancouver is Pacific Time. Whew, what a way to introduce myself! Never having done anything like this before, I'll be updating this post as I resolve the details. Edit 1: Changed jacket price from $150 to $120.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you want the money paypaled to you first? you've got to be kidding me. i hope no one is stupid enough to do that

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
No offense, but since you're marking them up double what you're paying(give that it's an incredible sale), couldn't another more altruistic SFer(one with more than 1 post) come along and sell them for less than you, making your deal pointless? I don't know. I know it's a hassle for you to go down there and buy it and such, just saying.

I'm still going to have to consider it for how much the markdown is, but no tiger or pinstripe hoodies make me sad.
frown.gif

MJRH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
you want the money paypaled to you first? you've got to be kidding me. i hope no one is stupid enough to do that
I think you're misunderstanding: I'm requesting payment before I ship the item, just like eBay, 2000db's venture, or any other working sales system I know of. Yes, that means you'll have to trust me. I'll be updating the eBay profile linked to prove it's connected to the paypal account given, if that's what's bothering you.
Originally Posted by chronoaug
No offense, but since you're marking them up double what you're paying(give that it's an incredible sale), couldn't another more altruistic SFer come along and sell them for less than you, making your deal pointless? I don't know. I know it's a hassle for you to go down there and buy it and such, just saying.
Absolutely, but it's been two days and nobody else has offered their services. I'm not willing to go much under $70, since there is a lot of work involved. If anybody else wants to undercut me, of course I can't stop them.
smile.gif

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJRH
I think you're misunderstanding: I'm requesting payment before I ship the item, just like eBay, 2000db's venture, or any other working sales system I know of. Yes, that means you'll have to trust me. I'll be updating the eBay profile linked to prove it's connected to the paypal account given, if that's what's bothering you. Absolutely, but it's been two days and nobody else has offered their services. I'm not willing to go much under $70, since there is a lot of work involved. If anybody else wants to undercut me, of course I can't stop them.
smile.gif

2000db isn't a 100% markup either....
musicboohoo[1].gif
and to save yourself and everyone else, just use the refund option in paypal insted of paypaling back the money, so everyone saves from fees.

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
No offense, but since you're marking them up double what you're paying(give that it's an incredible sale), couldn't another more altruistic SFer(one with more than 1 post) come along and sell them for less than you, making your deal pointless? I don't know. I know it's a hassle for you to go down there and buy it and such, just saying.

I'm still going to have to consider it for how much the markdown is, but no tiger or pinstripe hoodies make me sad.
frown.gif

Yeah, no tiger no deal
confused.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hehe, that's actually more than a 100%, if u consider the difference between CAD and USD :p

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jeez, give MJRH a break. who cares if his markup is 100% because if i'm doing the math correctly you'd still be saving 50% over normal W+H/Spruce prices. that's still pretty damn good in my book.

at this point, you guys all sound like a bunch of whiners.

musicboohoo[1].gif
indeed.

-Jeff

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well if you sign up for the sole purpose of selling things 100% above markup and compare yourself to 2000db and mother theresa, expect some ****. is it 50% retail? yeah it is. will i buy from him? no i won't. I'm sure many people will, as it is a good "deal", but isn't this a community where we help each other out? I can see a markup for a fee, but $35 + shipping fee is pretty hefty considering its a one stop shop. Unlike 2000db who has to run around tokyo, and he still charges less...
spam[1].gif
it also cracks me up that he puts his mom's ebay account as legitimacy instead of his own.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
well if you sign up for the sole purpose of selling things 100% above markup and compare yourself to 2000db and mother theresa, expect some ****. is it 50% retail? yeah it is. will i buy from him? no i won't.
Well, if I may play the devil's advocate here, a markup like this is pretty much just in line with most retailers.. YOOX for example, while selling most of their stuff at about 30-50% below retail, still has a gross margin of more than 50 percent. I mean, peasantonline is probably making even more than this kid per W+H/Spruce item on their styleforum exclusives, yet he is torn to pieces just by being honest and revealing his actual cost?? I sure know I wouldn't head down to some sample sale picking up lots of stuff for others without making a buck out of it (remember it's not as if he's just ordering some stuff online and flipping it). I guess some people around here should really get a grip
plain.gif

MJRH

Reaction score
Well, it's true that I'm motivated by profit. This forum's name is buying & selling, I don't see why that's so wrong. In fact, in the W+H end-of-season sale thread, someone offered to pay $80 US for a hoodie. But, to give you my perspective, here's the math I'm using: Ordering from their site, a Loopwheeler LW05 (the pullover hoodie) costs ¥15,000, or $129.50 USD according to this (believe I'm doing my converting correctly). 2000db is charging me $185 USD shipped for that hoodie - 2000, I hope it's okay that I'm repeating your quote... Anyway, I'm assuming shipping to Canada is nowhere above $25 to canada, which puts his profit at at least $30 USD. Now, I'm paying $31 USD and charging $70. That's a $40 USD markup. I believe your issue is that I'm marking it up so significantly percentage-wise. You seem to be expecting me to charge less for my time and travel simply because I'm paying less for the product. I'm not willing to charge much less than $70 because I have to charge that much to cover for my time and travel (I have no car). That's how much my time is worth to me. If somebody else who lives right beside the location wants to take over and charge $40 a hoodie, I wish they would, but that's not really an option for me. polyrock - I'm using my mom's eBay account because I don't have my own. I'm underage and have never had any need for one. If there are any other questions of course I don't mind answering them and trying to defend my offer. Oh, and by dint of my own logic, I'll be changing the jacket price down to $120, marking it up $70 IS rather opportunistic. For now, however, the hoodie price stands.

young7777

Reaction score
althot i do think his markup profit margin is slightly higher than expect, after all, this is a supply and demand issue... welcome to capitalism...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
The thing is, you'd be able to get away with it if they had pinstripe or tiger hoodies, but if all they really have are classic fit white ones, good luck. Someone at SuFu sold a white w+h hoodie he got from the sale for $45 shipped. Of course i missed out by like 15 minutes
frown.gif
If you see tiger or pin stripe slim fit hoodies is S or M just pick them up because they'll definitely sell.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJRH
Ordering from their site, a Loopwheeler LW05 (the pullover hoodie) costs ¥15,000, or $129.50 USD according to this (believe I'm doing my converting correctly). 2000db is charging me $185 USD shipped for that hoodie - 2000, I hope it's okay that I'm repeating your quote... Anyway, I'm assuming shipping to Canada is nowhere above $25 to canada, which puts his profit at at least $30 USD. Now, I'm paying $31 USD and charging $70. That's a $40 USD markup. I believe your issue is that I'm marking it up so significantly percentage-wise. You seem to be expecting me to charge less for my time and travel simply because I'm paying less for the product. I'm not willing to charge much less than $70 because I have to charge that much to cover for my time and travel (I have no car). That's how much my time is worth to me. If somebody else who lives right beside the location wants to take over and charge $40 a hoodie, I wish they would, but that's not really an option for me.
you are overlooking many things. i ran the service before 2000db did so i know how it works. you are not taking into consideration exchange rates (you're never going to get an exchange rate as good as xe unless you have piles of cash around to convert), credit card exchange surcharges, paypal fees, transportation costs, etc. and yes shipping is at least $25 for EMS shipping. so the profit margin is much less than that. anyway. he can set whatever price he wants. the price isn't the issue for me, its just that he's a new poster, doesn't have his own paypal account, has little understanding of paypal, underage, etc. etc. but there's probably someone else bound to come and undercut him anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads