• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vancouver Shopping

davidmross

Reaction score
I'll be in Vancouver in early September for a week and would like some suggestions on stores. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

-

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, am visiting Vancouver in early September! I've been trying to do some research on the matter, but as far as shopping goes I plan to look into:

Inventory
Roden Gray
Haven
Gravity Pope
Nouvelle Nouvelle
Lark
Old Faithful Shop

I visited Vancouver last year and was only able to make it to Roden Gray and Lark. Jonathan + Olivia was also a great shop, but I hear has shut down since I last visited
frown.gif

If anyone else wants to chime in on VAN shopping/local dining, please feel free!

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy_4HM
^ Good list. Mr. Lee's and Eugene Choo are probably worth a visit as well. If you happen to make it over to the Island come say what up.

I def wanted to hit up 4 Horsemen if I head to Victoria...I wanted to pick up a BLK Pine workshop bag! I'll only be there for 2 days so I don't know if I can make it. Anything else in Vic worth checking out (so I can convince the homies to take the ferry over)?

snausages

Reaction score
Roden Gray's not open yet. They moved down the street. There's Dutil in Gastown for denim. Around Robson and Denman, there's Shabusen. It's a all-you-can-eat sushi and yakiniku (grilled meat) restaurant. They've got a wide selection and it's quite affordable at lunch.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yeah... but Shabusen is like your twice weekly sushi place, it's not actually any good. If you're just visiting Vantown and want to experience the sushi there you need to go to a good place. Or at least a pretty good place. I think 80 per person for Tojo's is worth it every few months but not everyone is willing to go that far. Post on this made earlier:

Originally Posted by JD_May
If you're eating at Shabusen just eat lunch there. It's not that good for dinner. Mostly you're there for the combination of sushi with korean bbq, and given you're getting 8pc sashimi with it it's not a bad deal for $12.95.

Eat at Tojo's if you're willing to drop $200 for 2 on Omakase. Otherwise, don't. It is worth it though, to me. Last I was there I went for 5 courses and got 7, some of that stuff I'll remember the taste of for a long time. Another nice spot that's a half-step down in price is Octopus Garden in kits. Lime japanese restaurant is very good, as is Zest on 16th avenue (which has prix-fixe menus), both are mid-range.

But there are lots of places to get good stuff with good ingredients for cheaper. It's worth trying some of the more inventive places - Tokiwa on Oak, Yuji's on 4th is one of my personal faves, I-Sushi on Arbutus, Kadoya has some interesting rolls. Toshi sushi is good, but hyped beyond belief, so the constant lineup is kind of annoying; I find eating there a bit rushed. There are too many to list, that is the tip of the iceberg and could go on all day.

Henryyy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
I, too, am visiting Vancouver in early September! I've been trying to do some research on the matter, but as far as shopping goes I plan to look into:

Inventory
Roden Gray
Haven
Gravity Pope
Nouvelle Nouvelle
Lark
Old Faithful Shop

I visited Vancouver last year and was only able to make it to Roden Gray and Lark. Jonathan + Olivia was also a great shop, but I hear has shut down since I last visited
frown.gif

If anyone else wants to chime in on VAN shopping/local dining, please feel free!

On top of this list, don't forget to check out The Block, Obakki, and Two of a Few. They're all pretty neat stores.
smile.gif

davidmross

Reaction score
Back from Van and managed to pick up a few good things. Lots of shopping options for streetwear compared to Winnipeg...........wow, great to have choices.

I went to Haven, Times Profile Shop, Dutil Denim, Lloyd's of Gastown, and one or two others that I don't remember.

Enjoyed a nice lunch at Salt in Trounce Alley and a few beer at the Lamplighter to round out the afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Wait, there are options for shopping in Winnipeg?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great list.

i'm from vancouver, haven't been in store to some of those shops yet.

another interesting store for streetwear is HEADQUARTERS in Vancouver.
on Burrard St. by Davies St.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads