Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Notreknip, Feb 9, 2010.

1. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

True, but they've already planned for that. When Vancouver was awarded the bid for this year's Olympics, it was expected that they would not have any snow on the ground.

and now they are short of prostitutes ..

2. R-H

R-H Senior member

I expect the opening ceremonies to consist of native dancing, Mounties, and snow imagery. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And if Wayne Gretzky is somehow involved I might throw up a little bit in my mouth. [​IMG]

3. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I expect the opening ceremonies to consist of native dancing, Mounties, and snow imagery. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And if Wayne Gretzky is somehow involved I might throw up a little bit in my mouth. [​IMG]

So you're a Rick Hansen or Terry Fox family type of guy? That's cool too. I'm sure all three of the aforementioned will be involved to some extent.

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

I hear there's going to be a flying canoe.

5. R-H

R-H Senior member

So you're a Rick Hansen or Terry Fox family type of guy? That's cool too.

Well no, I didn't say that.

6. R-H

R-H Senior member

I hear there's going to be a flying canoe.

My money is on the cast of Beachcombers lighting the torch.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I'm told by someone who watched the opening ceremony rehearsal that they changed the fucking national anthem for it. That pisses me off to no end. I am anti-olympics given all the cost overruns, and honestly transportation right now is a godawful mess, but I will try to get out and enjoy the whole experience while it's here.

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

What kinds of roids are the athletes going to be sporting these games? Hopefully, they will make the medal winners a bit more giddy for better TV.

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Don't really care about the winter olympics but this made me LOL.
    [​IMG]

10. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

^^ Very nice!

11. bjan

bjan Senior member

I carried the flame as a torchbearer on Monday - unreal experience. Even some people stopped in traffic as the torch convoy went by were smiling and waving.

12. ozonemania

ozonemania Senior member

I was at the rehearsal for the opening ceremonies yesterday. It was very, very good. I can see how some people might complain about the Canadian anthem rendition but really it wasn't bad at all.

There are some simply stunning moments throughout that you would just not expect or even think possible. The special effects were innovative and full of showmanship.

Not jaw-dropping in the Beijing way (I don't think anyone will ever be able to out-do the sheer opulance of that one), but it was jaw-dropping in its own way. It didn't try and compete with Beijing on those terms, which is good because if they did they would have failed.

Lots of very Canadian themes, but if you think they have been done in a stereotypical way, they have not by any means.

It should be very entertaining televised. It was designed to almost look better on TV.

For you Americans, part of the rehearsal was the parade of olympians (not the real ones). When the stand-in Americans came out the house went wild. We love you guys! Kinda felt sorry for the Uzbekistanians that came out after tho...

But I also have to say... GO CANADA GO!

13. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

...such a horrible accident at the luge track today. Everyone wants to see it but it is so disturbing to watch.

The paramedics were on site within about 3 seconds, but even 1 second would've been too late.

Thankfully, no fans were there to have their days/weeks ruined.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

...such a horrible accident at the luge track today. Everyone wants to see it but it is so disturbing to watch.

The paramedics were on site within about 3 seconds, but even 1 second would've been too late.

Thankfully, no fans were there to have their days/weeks ruined.

Saw the video and some pics. Happened so fast. RIP

15. sonick

sonick Senior member

My live feedback of the opening ceremonites...

WHAT IS WITH THE ABORIGINALS?! STOP IT!!!! Embarassing.