1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Notreknip, Feb 9, 2010.

1. romafan

romafan Senior member

This almost requires a separate thread: the snowboarding thing is really awful in terms of sports dignity. The stupid outfits and the ipods have to go. Those American women were just pitiful. The chubby one who looked like she belonged in the special olympics as she scooched down and then clung knockkneed to that banner (and later sat in the snow singing off-key to her 'music') before each of her runs was downright embarassing. Sean White's Spicoliesque performance on the medal stand was also cringeworthy...

any sport where you compete wearing a XXL hoodie, douchebag-wash-blue-jeans and an ipod nano is not a sport.
    + 1,000,000

and proving once again that Australians are in fact a master race...we just won gold in chicks snowboarding. Not bad for a country with practically no snow.

Torah Bright was the only thing redeeming this ludicrous activity

2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

This almost requires a separate thread: the snowboarding thing is really awful in terms of sports dignity. The stupid outfits and the ipods have to go. Those American women were just pitiful. The chubby one who looked like she belonged in the special olympics as she scooched down and then clung knockkneed to that banner (and later sat in the snow singing off-key to her 'music') before each of her runs was downright embarassing. Sean White's Spicoliesque performance on the medal stand was also cringeworthy...

this poast is full of win

3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

BTW, Aboriginal Costume-Gate is farking hysterical.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I think that the Americans wanted it more...starting in goal and working its way out. The Canadians didn't seem to want to sacrifice the way the Americans did, and I honestly felt that the Americans played a better "team" game. It was a typical All Star team for the Canucks, not much passing, and the Americans played smart on the forecheck (for the most part) and defensively.

I also think Brodeur was a bit exposed when he's not playing in front of a Devil's team that minimized scoring chances, although his age didn't help him either. Not saying he's not a good goaltender, but he gave up a few clunkers through either his puck handling, or failing to make a key save.

Check out my blog post today...

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

I think that the Americans wanted it more...starting in goal and working its way out. The Canadians didn't seem to want to sacrifice the way the Americans did, and I honestly felt that the Americans played a better "team" game. It was a typical All Star team for the Canucks, not much passing, and the Americans played smart on the forecheck (for the most part) and defensively.

I also think Brodeur was a bit exposed when he's not playing in front of a Devil's team that minimized scoring chances, although his age didn't help him either. Not saying he's not a good goaltender, but he gave up a few clunkers through either his puck handling, or failing to make a key save.

Check out my blog post today...

i was appalled watching canadian women beat 'contenders' slovakia 18-0. then i heard that the slovakians beat bulgaria 82-0 in the qualifiers...[​IMG]

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

i was appalled watching canadian women beat 'contenders' slovakia 18-0. then i heard that the slovakians beat bulgaria 82-0 in the qualifiers...[​IMG]

Why are blowouts much more common in women sports? It's like that in basketball as well.

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Holy God, I had to check to see if this was real.

ADDENDUM: ...and the shots were 139-0!

Why are blowouts much more common in women sports? It's like that in basketball as well.

Lack of parity due to lack of history and the fact that in many women's sports the girls don't start playing until they're much older.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

this poast is full of win
    +1
    BTW, Aboriginal Costume-Gate is farking hysterical.
    +1

BTW, this Olympics has been Canada FAIL on so many levels... I hold each and every one of our Canuckistani posters responsible for this shame.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

BTW, this Olympics has been Canada FAIL on so many levels... I hold each and every one of our Canuckistani posters responsible for this shame.

You think? I thought they've done a good job.

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

So am I the only one that watched ice dancing tonight? I'd never watched it before last night when I saw Virtue/Moir's incredible tango-inspired performance so I decided to tune in tonight. Their routine was done to Mahler's 5th and it was not only a flawless performance, but an unexpectedly moving one as well. I actually watched all the performances tonight (had no idea it would take so long to get to the Canadians), and while the technical merits of the performances definitely improved throughout the night, I felt that Virtue & Moir's skating performance was much more connected to the music they performed to. The americans skated very well, but the performance as a whole didn't have the artistic integrity of the Canadian performance. Most of the other performances I didn't particularly enjoy because they lacked that cohesion between their skating and the music. Many of them displayed a disjointedness as they tried to fit hacked up music to their dance moves. I think that for a really world-class performance you need to establish that emotional connection, which is very difficult to do well.

Anyway, I can't say I've cared too much about the games up until this point but I'm very happy for those two. :p

11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I've been downtown (Vancouver) as much as possible the last 12 days and I can tell you that the energy here is pretty substantial. I'm not sure how anyone can say that VANOC is shitting the bed with these Olympics. I've seen large events done before and their work here is phenomenal. The odd shitty zamboni here and some warm weather there aren't exactly "OMFG CANADA SUX'' worthy. Unfortunately there was a death on the track before the games even began, but, being devil's advocate, the track had at least 5000 safe runs before the fatal one.

12. CTfunk

CTfunk Well-Known Member

I saw most of the ice dancing tonight as well, and I have to say, I have never really paid too much attention to it. I was quite impressed with the Americans, but I would agree with GQ, the Canadians really had that edge and brought about more connectivity. Not to mention that they are rather young.

Funny how Chris Rudge finally came out to say the Canadians are “not where we wanted to be”.

Anyways, how do people feel about Luongo being back in action tomorrow against Germany? Certainly warranted, but let’s see how the new lines do tomorrow.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I haven't seen any of the hockey games except the one vs the US. I thought canada outplayed the US for most of the first two periods, and often significantly outplayed them. Their puck movement was outstanding for most of this time. It was only once they started getting themselves in penalty after penalty that things started to go really badly. The penalties for the first 6 minutes of the 3rd hurt them. Once the US got the 2 goal lead on the PP they just began to shut things down. I thought Brodeur was terrible though. He wasn't tested often and when he was, he didn't come through and he made bad errors in judgement. The announcers were saying that it was uncharacteristic for Brodeur to do the stupid shit he did with the puck. Well, as a Detroit fan since the early 90s, I can say that I distinctly remember Brodeur being a liability for the Devils when he decided to play with the puck (quite frequently). Batting it out of the air like that was fucking stupid and he cost Canada the game imo. It was pure arrogance imo. It reminded me of when Patrick Roy did some extra fancy move to show people how awesome he was and that he had the puck and he dropped it into the back of the net in a Stanley Cup final against the Wings... [​IMG] That said, I haven't watched hockey regularly for many years so I have no idea whether Luongo will be a net + or a net -. I just wish Lidstrom played for Canada. [​IMG] Also, Crosby needs to step up. He got a goal at the end of the last game but for most of the game I was wondering where the hell he was.

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I'm digging the ice dancing (especially the required "tango" routine). But I like to ballroom dance, so this doesn't surprise me much, now that I've seen it.

HOWEVER, what is up with the brother-sister pairs? They seriously creep me out. Please get your face away from her crotch.

b

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Boy, did the American curling team ever screw up. The (Canadian) announcer made excuses for them, saying they just weren't getting any breaks, but c'mon...you make your own luck.

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

The captain of the Canada's womens team has a great rack.

17. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

please poast pixs. or at least links

18. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

please poast pixs. or at least links

+1.

19. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Here's some of my observations so far:

-some of these so call sporting events are not sports. Like the ice figure dance and even snowboarding in general

-that Evan Lycek (spelling?) is a closet ghey

-don't know what the hell curling is about. I even Googled and did some reading on Wiki, and still no friggin clue

-I don't see what the hoopla is all about on Lindsey Vonn. The "It" girl is what the media is calling her. WTF?

-I finally realized what a "Salchow" is. No not the actual flipping thingy that the skaters do, but that it's named after an Swedish skater.

-Winter games are kinda boring, if you know what I mean.

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

[​IMG]

Cheryl Bernard, second from left
    [​IMG]

In uniform.

She's keeping me interested in curling...
    [​IMG]