• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Valuev vs Holyfield wtf?

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
I just saw this (I know it's old news), but what the fuck? Now I know why boxing is just losing it. The fuck is going on. I don't watch so much boxing anymore, and frankly I'm more and more unimpressed by the sport. How the fuck did Valuev win that fight?
 

Homme

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,221
Why would you watch it to start with? Holyfield should have retired 5 years ago, after getting beaten up by Toney.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Homme
Why would you watch it to start with? Holyfield should have retired 5 years ago, after getting beaten up by Toney.

I flipped back and forth for about 8 rounds. I haven't been up on much sports news recently so I didn't know about the decision. I was shocked.
 

West24

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
3,959
Reaction score
11
actually 2008 had some of the greatest matches ive ever seen. the lighter weights in boxing are amazing to watch. the heavyweight is an absolute joke. i pretty much never watch a heavyweight match when its on.
 

SystemShock

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by SField
I just saw this (I know it's old news), but what the fuck? Now I know why boxing is just losing it. The fuck is going on. I don't watch so much boxing anymore, and frankly I'm more and more unimpressed by the sport.
MMA is burying boxing. I think ppl got tired of the lack of talent, the rigged fights, the incompetent or crooked judging, the champions who wouldn't fight more than once in a blue moon.
Also, there's a bit of 'baseball vs NFL football' thing going on... boxing is sometimes seen as an old sport and lacking in action (ever sit through a 15-round fight where one of the guys just wants to fight defensively and win on points?). MMA is the new kid on the block and is often more exciting. Don't get me wrong, boxing can be technically fascinating, and requires an incredible amount of discipline to succeed in. But there's just so few charismatic figures in it anymore. Certainly no one of the stature of a Muhammad Ali.
 

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
41
"a Muhammad Ali" LMAO!

In boxing, even Sugar Ray Leonard with his charisma(smarmy as it was) wasn't in ALi's league. In Basketball, Jordan's ability brought his into Ali's sphere but he could't carry ALi's jock personality wise. Magic maybe.

Only Tiger hits the mark!
 

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
6,970
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by SystemShock
Also, there's a bit of 'baseball vs NFL football' thing going on... boxing is sometimes seen as an old sport and lacking in action (ever sit through a 15-round fight where one of the guys just wants to fight defensively and win on points?). MMA is the new kid on the block and is often more exciting.

+1.
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
Originally Posted by The Deacon
"a Muhammad Ali" LMAO!

In boxing, even Sugar Ray Leonard with his charisma(smarmy as it was) wasn't in ALi's league. In Basketball, Jordan's ability brought his into Ali's sphere but he could't carry ALi's jock personality wise. Magic maybe.

Only Tiger hits the mark!


WTF are you talking about?!?! Does Tiger even have a personality?

The guy's an incredible golfer but he is completely lacking in charisma.

Jordan essentially made Nike a multi-billion dollar corporation.
 

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
41
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
WTF are you talking about?!?! Does Tiger even have a personality?

The guy's an incredible golfer but he is completely lacking in charisma.

Jordan essentially made Nike a multi-billion dollar corporation.


Have you heard his interviews? He is actually hilarious! Very sharp wit and is self deprecating!
MAybe if I saw what you've seen I'd agree but I guess I've seen and heard other stuff.
 

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
41
...and Jordan is a semi-literate stiff. "The game of Basketball" is quoted anytime he mentions basketball. A deep country boy who made REAL good, got rich, slept with pornstars and lost whatever soul he had. Yeah he built nike with Phil K but he's still got no class. In fact he is as street/country even now as they come. I know Chicago folks who know him and he has no charm. People do not want to be around him.
 

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
6,970
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
WTF are you talking about?!?! Does Tiger even have a personality? The guy's an incredible golfer but he is completely lacking in charisma. Jordan essentially made Nike a multi-billion dollar corporation.
+1. Well said. Tiger's a robot (with an incredibly hot wife).
 

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
6,970
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by The Deacon
Have you heard his interviews? He is actually hilarious! Very sharp wit and is self deprecating!
MAybe if I saw what you've seen I'd agree but I guess I've seen and heard other stuff.


Hmmh.
Haven't seen those interviews.
I'll tune in next time.
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,739
Reaction score
43
Originally Posted by SField
How the fuck did Valuev win that fight?

Because Valuev is a top 5 heavyweight and Holyfield is a has been that should have retired a long time ago who only took the fight to avoid bankruptcy?
 

SystemShock

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
+1. Well said. Tiger's a robot (with an incredibly hot wife).
I don't find Tiger's personality- as broadcast- to be compelling, but I do understand that his venue is the stuffed-shirt sport that is golf (i.e. 'the old rich white-guy sport'- it's beyond 'corporate'), and that as such he can never really let his hair down and say what comes to mind. Can you imagine him talking like, say, Allen Iverson or Ali or Charles Barkley during interviews? He'd be run out of town. The only golf guy who comes close to keeping it real is John Daly, and he does so in large part only because he's constantly drunk and doesn't know any better. And because he can't win tournaments any more, thus controversy is the only thing that keeps him in the fame game. Golf is changing and is becoming a tad less anal (and Tiger can be credited it with some of that), but still has a very long way to go.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 275 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,157
Messages
9,229,679
Members
193,743
Latest member
sgofsxsk
Top