• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Value shirtmaker in LA?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a high quality shirtmaker in the Los Angeles area. My max price is $150 per shirt for decent cotton, maybe $200 for premium cotton. I'm leaning towards Ascot Chang, but it pains me to know that their prices are cheaper (30%?) in Asia, because I'm likely visit Asia in the not too distant future. Any leads? Oh, and don't say Jantzen. I've already gone through them, and although I liked the result, I'm willing to pay more for better customer service and faster turnaround time. Hoping to find a local artisan
wink.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not get some shirts from WW Chan? They'll be in town in November. Prices start around $80/shirt and they can and will send you swatches by mail from HK on request. Their shirts are well made and cost a lot less than Ascot Chang (which OTOH and IMHO is worth the premium if you can afford it).

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WW Chan isn't a bad idea. I perused their website, but have a few questions. Is there a minimum order number for shirts? How do they handle fittings? Since they are traveling, I'm inclined to think they don't do a fitting, and that makes me little nervous...I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

And for clarification, are these MTM or bespoke shirts? The website seems to suggest bespoke, but anyone know for sure? I'm especially interested in being able to customize the collar as far as height and point length, as well as accomodate my right shoulder (which drops a bit lower than my left), and yolk height.

Other things being equal, I would still prefer someone local. But if nothing comes up, I will email Chan for an appt.

p.s. seems like the Chinese have really cornered this market.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go to koreatown. there's a place called mr. young's that i go to on wilshire, a couple of blocks west of vermont ave.

shirts start at $100. mr. young will take your measurements and then send them out for the shirt. (he makes suits on the premises.)

for an idea of the quality, check out mr. young's own shirt. he wears his wares.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I believe there is an Ascot Chang shop in Beverly Hills. Not exactly local, but at least there is a shop where you can go to vent your frustrations if you order is wrong or late.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there is an Ascot Chang shop in Beverly Hills.  Not exactly local, but at least there is a shop where you can go to vent your frustrations if you order is wrong or late.
beverly hills is about as local as it gets. it is techincally its own city, but is surrounded by los angeles, like the vatican is surrounded by rome.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
beverly hills is about as local as it gets. it is techincally its own city, but is surrounded by los angeles, like the vatican is surrounded by rome.
I know, I used to live there. What I meant is that the shirts are not made locally. Also, I don't know if I'd consider them a value. They used be quite well priced compared to (say) Anto, but I think their prices are more comparable now.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go to koreatown. there's a place called mr. young's that i go to on wilshire, a couple of blocks west of vermont ave.

shirts start at $100. mr. young will take your measurements and then send them out for the shirt. (he makes suits on the premises.)

for an idea of the quality, check out mr. young's own shirt. he wears his wares.
I've driven by Mr. Young's plenty of times, and noticed it only because I've heard you mention it the forum before. Since you alluded to outsourcing, any idea who actually makes the shirt? Is the process similar to MTM or closer to bespoke?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WW Chan isn't a bad idea.  I perused their website, but have a few questions.  Is there a minimum order number for shirts?  How do they handle fittings?  Since they are traveling, I'm inclined to think they don't do a fitting, and that makes me little nervous...I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

And for clarification, are these MTM or bespoke shirts?  The website seems to suggest bespoke, but anyone know for sure?  I'm especially interested in being able to customize the collar as far as height and point length, as well as accomodate my right shoulder (which drops a bit lower than my left), and yolk height.

Other things being equal, I would still prefer someone local.  But if nothing comes up, I will email Chan for an appt.  

p.s. seems like the Chinese have really cornered this market.
No minimum order that I know of, at least not when ordering during their US visits.

In terms of "fittings" there is one fitting:  you get measured, they send you the shirt.  If you want something changed, you ask for the change to be made the next time you order.   Their measurements were very good the first time and I have never asked for changes.  Ascot Chang works the same way, even if you are ordering in HK--no interim fittings of test shirts.  I haven't had any problems with them either.  Seems like this is the standard process in Hong Kong, so if you aren't comfortable with it you probably want to avoid the HK folks (and of course, spend more).

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've driven by Mr. Young's plenty of times, and noticed it only because I've heard you mention it the forum before.  Since you alluded to outsourcing, any idea who actually makes the shirt?  Is the process similar to MTM or closer to bespoke?
sorry to reply so late.

the process for shirts is made-to-measuRe, although he will accomodate any special requests you might have.  he doesn't do fittings for shirts but you don't have to pay if you're unsatisfied.

i only know that the actual shirtmaker is a chinese man, and that he likely makes shirts for many other tailors in l.a.

mr. young is a true custom tailor and will make you anything you want if you're willing to pay for it.

btw, he does a very good job of fitting shirts. for suits his preferred cut is a bit loose for my taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads