1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Value shirtmaker in LA?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

I'm looking for a high quality shirtmaker in the Los Angeles area. My max price is $150 per shirt for decent cotton, maybe $200 for premium cotton. I'm leaning towards Ascot Chang, but it pains me to know that their prices are cheaper (30%?) in Asia, because I'm likely visit Asia in the not too distant future. Any leads? Oh, and don't say Jantzen. I've already gone through them, and although I liked the result, I'm willing to pay more for better customer service and faster turnaround time. Hoping to find a local artisan [​IMG]

2. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

Why not get some shirts from WW Chan? They'll be in town in November. Prices start around $80/shirt and they can and will send you swatches by mail from HK on request. Their shirts are well made and cost a lot less than Ascot Chang (which OTOH and IMHO is worth the premium if you can afford it).

3. Renault78law

WW Chan isn't a bad idea. I perused their website, but have a few questions. Is there a minimum order number for shirts? How do they handle fittings? Since they are traveling, I'm inclined to think they don't do a fitting, and that makes me little nervous...I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

And for clarification, are these MTM or bespoke shirts? The website seems to suggest bespoke, but anyone know for sure? I'm especially interested in being able to customize the collar as far as height and point length, as well as accomodate my right shoulder (which drops a bit lower than my left), and yolk height.

Other things being equal, I would still prefer someone local. But if nothing comes up, I will email Chan for an appt.

p.s. seems like the Chinese have really cornered this market.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

go to koreatown. there's a place called mr. young's that i go to on wilshire, a couple of blocks west of vermont ave.

shirts start at $100. mr. young will take your measurements and then send them out for the shirt. (he makes suits on the premises.)

for an idea of the quality, check out mr. young's own shirt. he wears his wares.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I believe there is an Ascot Chang shop in Beverly Hills. Not exactly local, but at least there is a shop where you can go to vent your frustrations if you order is wrong or late.

6. matadorpoeta

beverly hills is about as local as it gets. it is techincally its own city, but is surrounded by los angeles, like the vatican is surrounded by rome.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I know, I used to live there. What I meant is that the shirts are not made locally. Also, I don't know if I'd consider them a value. They used be quite well priced compared to (say) Anto, but I think their prices are more comparable now.

8. Renault78law

I've driven by Mr. Young's plenty of times, and noticed it only because I've heard you mention it the forum before. Since you alluded to outsourcing, any idea who actually makes the shirt? Is the process similar to MTM or closer to bespoke?

9. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

No minimum order that I know of, at least not when ordering during their US visits.

In terms of "fittings" there is one fitting:  you get measured, they send you the shirt.  If you want something changed, you ask for the change to be made the next time you order.   Their measurements were very good the first time and I have never asked for changes.  Ascot Chang works the same way, even if you are ordering in HK--no interim fittings of test shirts.  I haven't had any problems with them either.  Seems like this is the standard process in Hong Kong, so if you aren't comfortable with it you probably want to avoid the HK folks (and of course, spend more).

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

There are plenty of local shirtmakers in LA. I can not vouch for anyones work since I have not seen it.

I will give phone numbers on MOnday.

11. Renault78law

12. matadorpoeta

sorry to reply so late.

the process for shirts is made-to-measuRe, although he will accomodate any special requests you might have.  he doesn't do fittings for shirts but you don't have to pay if you're unsatisfied.

i only know that the actual shirtmaker is a chinese man, and that he likely makes shirts for many other tailors in l.a.

mr. young is a true custom tailor and will make you anything you want if you're willing to pay for it.

btw, he does a very good job of fitting shirts. for suits his preferred cut is a bit loose for my taste.