• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valet stand... Who uses? Recommendations?

TintinATL

Reaction score
Interested to know who on the forum uses a valet stand to hang their clothes, either at the end of the day to let them air, or to assemble their outfit for the next day. They look practical, but are they really useful in practice?

Also, any recommendations for a specific model? If I get one, it would need to be contemporary in style.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll go into some depth for the benefit of those who are learning.
I have 2 valets in regular use and a 3rd spare/backup.
My 'End of the day' valet has:
-wheels. A great mobile unit to quickly move closer to your ironing station when need be.
-accomodates 1 suit and 1 pair of shoes.
-top accesories tray
-2 side pull-out pins/pegs to hang ties, belts or suspenders (braces).

My 'Tomorrow' valet has:
-solid non-wheeled base with accessories drawer. (holds 1pr. of shoes-drawer for polish, brushes, buffing cloth, etc)
-stronger construction. Not designed for moving around.
-top accessories tray with accesories drawer
-2 side pins for ties, belt and suspenders (braces)

Though one can just as easily do with a single valet, or no valet at all, I prefer using 2.
The 'today' valet, I use thusly:
When I get home, I use the today valet for my suit or outfit.
Once into my home clothes, I recommend perfoming some basic maintenance.
Turn the pants inside-out, and shake them outside, then, using a damp cloth wipe the pants free of any dust or skin flakes. turn back outside-out. Wipe outside of pants. Iron if needed. Hang on valet rack.
Shake off jacket and use a brush to the jacket to remove dust. Wipe with rag and hang on valet.
Make any minor repairs immediately. Get into a good habit so your clothes are always ready.
Re-sew any buttons that need it, or give a few stitches to any loose areas, ironing, etc.
All of this should take no more than 30 minuites.

Prepare the 'tomorrow valet' (10min) with your next days intended clothes.
Next morning, hang the 'today' valets' outfit back in your closet before leaving for work.
This way it will be ready again for you when you get home.
I did not mention manufacturers because availability will be relativie to ones location.
Think about the intended use of the valet and look for the features you will need.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a small, very simple wooden one that I found at a local thrift store. My wife calls it my old man stand but she likes that I use it because it keeps everything all in one spot for me when I am getting ready in the morning so that I don't have to turn lights on in the bedroom and wake her up if she doesn't need to.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen, very illuminating. Especially Mr. Lint - wow, that's extremely thorough! I like the idea of two but sadly I barely have room for one. I love the ritual associated with clothes, so yours really resonates.

I notice that two out of the three of you thrifted your valets... I had not thought to look there, but now I think I shall!

Any more advice and suggestions are very welcome.

Kurt N

Reaction score
^ Since I am fond of naming inanimate objects, I like the thought of a thrifted valet stand named Jeeves.

In the kitchen we have a colander named Marie.

Lesauskas

Reaction score
MyOtherLife
I'm glad that You've shared your experience and knowledge - it really helps while designing a new valet stand.

Last edited:

hansen

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

Can anybody enlighten me - why is there only one "hanger?". I would think you need one for the shirt as well as the jacket, as I guess one of the benefits of a valet is that you can place suit, shirt, tie and shoes together and then step back and see of you like the look.

I know you could hang a shirt beneath the jacket, but that doesn't seem right, and it then, when you are dressing, you would have to remove the jacket to get to the shirt, which works against the idea of hassle free morning.

Thanks!

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Can anybody enlighten me - why is there only one "hanger?"

Some have two, such as this model which I am currently considering.

indossatore-ilmettinsieme-canaletto-xl_1.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one can't afford a valet, I guess a stand has to do.

TomTom

Reaction score
I have a valet stand that I got used on Ebay. Used to be in a menswear store in the N of England. I sue it every day an I believe I di not pay more than £100 for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads