• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentino-Hype or Hip?

Chopardluc

Reaction score
Greetings,

I searched the archives and didnt find much so here is the question. How good is the Valentino "uomo" men's suit?

I was in Valentino's factory outlet store in Florida and they have a 2000$ ( current) suit for 900$.

The suit is made in Italy and it seemed to be quite well made.

Any thoughts on the brand?

Best in 08

C.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cream colored summer suit from him and a black label grey mohair 'tailoring' sports coat. His designs are classic and true to the 'Roman" style which is more on the conservative side but I like it. He just threw a big anniversary bash in Rome this year and he's hardly what I'd call a hype designer. He's been around for a long time. Is he "hip"? Timeless clothing is hip and never goes out of style.

Chopardluc

Reaction score
Thank you maharlika for the reply, I was using the title merely for illustration.

I realize the Valentino suit is classic Roman style I was more curious about the overall quality of construction relative to the price. That is, is it worth the money?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Some of his runway items that you'll find at Saks or Neiman Marcus are a bit...it's hard to describe. They can be a bit like "Versace Collection" or "Classic" or whatever the line of V monogramed sweaters come from. Now and then there are a few good pieces from Valentino, all that I have is a green cotton quasi-military jacket.

vt.jpg

mkt003.jpg

valen.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chopardluc
Thank you maharlika for the reply, I was using the title merely for illustration.

I realize the Valentino suit is classic Roman style I was more curious about the overall quality of construction relative to the price. That is, is it worth the money?

Everyone here will tell you they are not "worth" it at full retail...half off is pushing it for some.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valentino bought back his mens wear rights and has been designing and producing them himself for almost two years. The quality has increased and you found stores like Wilkes Bashford in San Francisco starting to carry it again last year although I don't know if it was a runaway success. I think if you like it and the price is good you will do fine.

Chopardluc

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

I forgot to check if the suit was fused or not. The lining looked like it was hand stitched on the inside of the jacket.

I dont recall the type of wool but I am sure it wasnt super 220's LOL.

C

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SoCal2NYC-- the jacket you have in the photo is still classic. I'm basing it on the silhouette. Nice fit, btw.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've really liked the last few Valentino seasons (one from a winter season a year or two back is in my avatar); in another thread we came to the conclusion that Isaia makes some of the mainline suits (though I'm assuming that might be the "couture" line).

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Some of his runway items that you'll find at Saks or Neiman Marcus are a bit...it's hard to describe. They can be a bit like "Versace Collection" or "Classic" or whatever the line of V monogramed sweaters come from. Now and then there are a few good pieces from Valentino, all that I have is a green cotton quasi-military jacket.

vt.jpg

mkt003.jpg

valen.jpg

What's so bad about Versace Classic? I've seen those suits and the grey wool 3 button suit is actually pretty sharp.

Can you tell me what's so "ehh" about it?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get Valentino Couture suits for 900 at Century 21 and Valentino suits for 400-500 also. 900 for an Uomo suit? I am pretty sure they are fused.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Versace Classic clothing as in the non-tailored clothing....V monogram sweaters, V monogram polos, very silky and quasi-90s Gianni looking things.

Chopardluc

Reaction score
fcuknu,

I am not from the States but I am in Manhattan for a few more days. I will check out century 21 department store. Any other suggestions for a top notch suit not more than 1000$

C

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I've really liked the last few Valentino seasons (one from a winter season a year or two back is in my avatar)

+1

His Spring 2008 collection looks very nice. Very La Dolce Vita.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some HF suits (which arent my style) for under 1k. There were a couple Armani Black Label suits for like 1200, but they were god awful. There were some Lanvin suits for about 800. They have a very large selection of so/so suits, nothing amazing. They have some Brionis, but I dont remember the prices. I got a couple of YSL suits for 400 each, not a bad price for a pretty good suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads