• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vacuum suggestions please

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Dysons, but I am not spending 500 bucks on a vacuum. I see Dirt Devil has this "Dual Cyclone" thing for under $200. Any other ideas? Want something good on rugs, good with pet hair, etc. Thanks folks.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I like the Dysons, but I am not spending 500 bucks on a vacuum. I see Dirt Devil has this "Dual Cyclone" thing for under $200. Any other ideas? Want something good on rugs, good with pet hair, etc. Thanks folks.

Electrolux Harmony......this cannister model is light, well designed and has tremendous suction. We have two cats and this does the job. I trolled the web and got one for less than $200.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a Miele that I am very happy with. It is very well put together and even has that minimal German design aesthetic. And FWIW, functionaly-speaking its the best vacuum I've used.

CCabot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
We have a Miele that I am very happy with. It is very well put together and even has that minimal German design aesthetic. And FWIW, functionaly-speaking its the best vacuum I've used.

Seconded.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just make sure it has a bag. those bagless ones are gross.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, being the impulsive shopper that I am, I just went to Bed Bath & Beyond and got the Dyson DC17. It's supposed to be good with pet hair. We'll see. thanks guys.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another vote for miele
i concur with briancl's comment, it's the best vacuum i've ever had as well

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Well, being the impulsive shopper that I am, I just went to Bed Bath & Beyond and got the Dyson DC17. It's supposed to be good with pet hair. We'll see. thanks guys.

When I saw your initial post, I was going to tell you just to bite the bullet and get the Dyson, but I held my tongue. We have six indoor-only cats (
bounce2.gif
), and I don't know what we would do without our Dyson.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miele thirded. They have a motor bypass suction, the bags are static charged so nothing leaks out. The Dysons have some rough bristles and the Miele salesman told me that the reason they seem to be picking up so much stuff is cuz they actually scrape off some of the carpet fiber. The Miele cost me like $500 (i got the cheap one in lemon yellow) but it was well worth it.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had my vacuum for a little while and it really SUCKS!

rimshot.gif

Sorry, I had to do it.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have an older Rainbow that was a gift. Rainbows are bagless, they use a canister filled with water to trap dirt. They are mostly sold by door-to-door by extremely annoying salespeople. You can buy then online through "unathorized" channels for $1300-1500 which is a lot cheaper than the door-to-door official price. That sounds like a lot for a vacuum however mine is 17 years old and is still going. New and refurbished parts are widely available.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
consumer reports says the bagged high-end kenmore model is the best.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents have one of the kenmore's with a lifetime warranty, it is a good thing too because I think they have replaced it 6 times already in the past 4 years.

When it comes to mechanical parts, the Germans do it best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads