• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vacationing at Friend's House - Gift Ideas?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be going on a week long vacation in Dubai within the next few days. My friend and I will be staying at a mutual friends' house while there (it's a relatively young couple - early to mid 30s, no kids). I'm trying to think of something nice/useful or simple to give them as a thank you for hosting us.

Thoughts:
1. I'll be flying there with two small bags so I would like to keep it light.
2. They live in Dubai so I'm considering something not readily available or relatively expensive there (obviouly no booze).
3. General ideas? I'll be doing a bit of my own research but additional ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe some nice cook books if they are in to that type of thing?

Hany

Reaction score
I'd get them something for the house. A nice vase perhaps.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Treating them to dinner sounds good. Traveling with a vase from the US to Dubai with two small bags? No thanks.

Any other ideas?

Fobulush

Reaction score
I believe in that part of the world, it's customary to give a camel when you stay over.

I know that when you visit some places of the world, bottles of vitamins are appreciated. Depending on how long you're going to stay with them, maybe a budget espresso machine? I've always found those to be good gifts. Especially because I'm guaranteed to have coffee during the stay.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good quality saffron will be light and well appreciate there.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
are your friends expats?
if so, maybe something from their home country that they cannot get in Dubai.
Alcohol is permitted in the country but not in excess. It maybe best to drink in the safety of your friend's house. Getting sloshed outside can lead you to jail.

If your friends are Arabs, something sweet is always good.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah they're expats. Americans to be exact. I asked my friend coming with me (who knows them really well) what from the U.S. they would like and may not be able to get easily in Dubai, he wasn't too sure. Anyway, since I'm working all day before my flight tonight, it looks like we'll just treat them to dinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads